Better Atmospheres Development Thread

Alright guys, wanted to post here that all tough much hasn't happened here, this page will be entirely re worked and possibly I will make a whole new thread in dedication to V5.

V5 will be the most important update to date. As such I want to make it special. Expect either this thread to be re-designed, or an entire new dev thread.

I've been happy to work on this pack since day one, and I'm so glad you guys have helped me make it along the way. I love all of you, as this pack would not be here if it wasn't for you guys. Really, it wouldn't. The only reason it's here is because someone wanted me to give a config for kerbin.

Thanks you for your time.

It's been a complete pleasure working with you, thesonicgalaxy, and I'm so happy to share what we've created with such an awesome community. I've learned a ton about collaboration and pushing myself to keep going on a project even when it seemed too big to handle. Thank you all for the great feedback. You guys are going to love this pack!

It is not working for me:

-citylights are rotated about 120 degree clockwise, and only appear on the dayside

-only the volumetric clouds appear, once I get out of range of those I don't see clouds at all

-the moon only appears to have the light gray. I can only see the dark grey at a corner of one of the craters

what do I do wrong?

It is not working for me:

-citylights are rotated about 120 degree clockwise, and only appear on the dayside

-only the volumetric clouds appear, once I get out of range of those I don't see clouds at all

-the moon only appears to have the light gray. I can only see the dark grey at a corner of one of the craters

what do I do wrong?

You'll have to take that first one here.

Those last two sound like a result of RSS, but you should still see the regular 2D clouds as well.

The first thing I can think of is that you have installed it wrong, but I have no clue if you did. Can you list what your GameData folder looks like, or hit printscreen on your keyboard, paste(Ctrl+V) that in some painting program, save it, and upload it to imgur.com?

Begun work on the RSS config, well infact I've been working on it on and off for over 2 months now. Battling through the seemingly infinite number of glitches and general EVE incompatabilities with RSS. But I'M FINALLY GETTING SOMEWHERE YAY.

LOSaI5j.jpg

Edited by pingopete

Begun work on the RSS config, well infact I've been working on it on and off for over 2 months now. Battling through the seemingly infinite number of glitches and general EVE incompatabilities with RSS. But I'M FINALLY GETTING SOMEWHERE YAY.

http://i.imgur.com/LOSaI5j.jpg

I'm now working with the latest overhauls, I need to figure out how to make continuous atmosphere layers i.e. solid translucency from ground to ending point in upper atmosphere. If anyone has any idea how to with new overhaul please let me and sonicgalaxy know!

Nice to hear you progress :)

This looks freaking amazing :D Those look like what you see on the ISS livestream especially the picture in the dark. Have my +rep because this looks gorgeous already. Can't wait for you to finish it.

Cheers buddy! I've now advanced to owning a roll of duct tape ;)

Edited by pingopete

i have a bug, really weird and really annoys me even though its really a minor one. i have deleted city lights folder in boulderCO, the city lights dll in EVE plugins, the detail and day city texture files in clouds/textures. becouse i dont want anything to do with city lights, and i have to admit your current model of dense city lights that only occur on the shores of kerbin at night and their visuels look really aweful, daytime cities look really buggy between the clouds , clouds dont appear to be on top of them due to their edges get confused like sea waves moving back and forth on shores. however when i do this. my laythe looks like a darker version of the vanilla version with standart clouds, no big blue glow on overall texture i also lose the blu-ish tone on kerbins lands on daytime, i think it was suppose to be atmospheric thing that turns lands bluish the farther you look, i only delete the files with city+daytime city+city detail tags and my textures get bummed, i suspect the city files in "clouds/textures" folder is resbonsible since they are named that way but under the texture folder and they contain a little more data then what they have on cities. any help?

edit: figured out, it appears deleting the files in cloud makes kerbin and laythe as it is in standart EVE. not BA add on. i have deleted the lines in the cloud layers so game wont look for the city details, and this way i planet looks just fine so is laythe, there is one issue though a straigh line that cuts 2 parts of the map, same as the line as in the daycity tga when i take a look in the picture, its minor and barely noticeable when i dont pay attention so i will just leave it be , laythe outside appears fine as well, ill just keep on to this as i wait for v5

Edited by TheReaper

Hello, im so thrilled for this new update but it appears it did NOT fix an old issue i was having, the black smoke of DEATH is back. Here is some pictures of the situation, also the reason why even the smoke looks so ****ty and squared is i am using low res EVE and low res pack of BAV5. These death cloudes cover an area of several kilometers of sky arraund my vehicle, clouds do follow my vehicle so it is impossible to get out from this nightmare creep look without ascending from atmosphere. Laythe has the same problem, i did not tested this in Jool's low atmosphere/surface , atmosphereless planets appear just fine, , Kerbin (had no issues before :( )has a similar issue and those white stoches of so called day cities that appear on SEAS .(i think we are waiting on EVE 8 to catch up to solve this and volumetric joolian clouds )

Black skies at surface levels and several kilometers

74.png

More distant version

75.png

Eve's black cloudes from afar, clearly the density of these clouds is related to atmospheres characteristics

76.png

Eve probe meets the devil

77.png

This is my current solution

alt N>do no changes, just click save > load the save file> problem solved , problem comes back each time i go to map view or leave to space center or switching to other vessels,

78.png

From a vessel that is waiting on the runway, kerbin doesnt have an entire black smoke waiting on top of you but rather reguler clouds turning black when up close.

94.png

Clouds turning slowly to grey and toward white as you move away/zoom away

95.png

Reguler and no issue textures on orbital heights

29f2ts1.png

There is no distinguishable layer i can delete to make this go away in E.V.E. controll menu, clouds that are distant are normal they turn black and move over you as they get close, alt N saves and playing generally at high altitude spaces allows me to actualy enjoy the game, i have had very little issues with krakens from the first moment i got into this game, this smoke beats every kraken

This problem existed in BAV4 as well, i dont remember if it existed back in the times when i only used EVE deffault, i belive it didnt

Side notes: i would love to see an medium resolution textures for both EVE and BA, high res is too awesome my fps drops significantly, low res is too bad but i run the game flawlessly (odd thing is low res 2.90-3.00 gb ram use, high res 3.20-3.40 gm ram use, i know it pushes to obsolute limits in high res but can really 20-40 mb of ram memory couse all the frame drops, lags, and slowing down the computer for several minutes after shut down of ksp program-using high res)-and if i could just see land masses on laythe that would be great :D-

otherwise this is fantastic, great work on everyone who contrubitued directly or indrectly

sorry for spelling and other errors of all sorts--- thanks

Edited by TheReaper

Currently shoehorning mods into a clean install, until I ran KSP to check it was still stable with this in. all I can say is oh my gawd! This takes a great game and makes it beautiful! Thank you so much for this, the difference from V4 to 5 is breathtaking, the auroras are eyecandy for the astronut in me :)

Hello, im so thrilled for this new update but it appears it did NOT fix an old issue i was having, the black smoke of DEATH is back. Here is some pictures of the situation, also the reason why even the smoke looks so ****ty and squared is i am using low res EVE and low res pack of BAV5. These death cloudes cover an area of several kilometers of sky arraund my vehicle, clouds do follow my vehicle so it is impossible to get out from this nightmare creep look without ascending from atmosphere. Laythe has the same problem, i did not tested this in Jool's low atmosphere/surface , atmosphereless planets appear just fine, , Kerbin (had no issues before :( )has a similar issue and those white stoches of so called day cities that appear on SEAS .(i think we are waiting on EVE 8 to catch up to solve this and volumetric joolian clouds )

Black skies at surface levels and several kilometers

http://www.image-share.com/upload/2590/74.png

More distant version

http://www.image-share.com/upload/2590/75.png

Eve's black cloudes from afar, clearly the density of these clouds is related to atmospheres characteristics

http://www.image-share.com/upload/2590/76.png

Eve probe meets the devil

http://www.image-share.com/upload/2590/77.png

This is my current solution

alt N>do no changes, just click save > load the save file> problem solved , problem comes back each time i go to map view or leave to space center or switching to other vessels,

http://www.image-share.com/upload/2590/78.png

From a vessel that is waiting on the runway, kerbin doesnt have an entire black smoke waiting on top of you but rather reguler clouds turning black when up close.

http://www.image-share.com/upload/2590/94.png

Clouds turning slowly to grey and toward white as you move away/zoom away

http://www.image-share.com/upload/2590/95.png

Reguler and no issue textures on orbital heights

http://i61.tinypic.com/29f2ts1.png

There is no distinguishable layer i can delete to make this go away in E.V.E. controll menu, clouds that are distant are normal they turn black and move over you as they get close, alt N saves and playing generally at high altitude spaces allows me to actualy enjoy the game, i have had very little issues with krakens from the first moment i got into this game, this smoke beats every kraken

This problem existed in BAV4 as well, i dont remember if it existed back in the times when i only used EVE deffault, i belive it didnt

Side notes: i would love to see an medium resolution textures for both EVE and BA, high res is too awesome my fps drops significantly, low res is too bad but i run the game flawlessly (odd thing is low res 2.90-3.00 gb ram use, high res 3.20-3.40 gm ram use, i know it pushes to obsolute limits in high res but can really 20-40 mb of ram memory couse all the frame drops, lags, and slowing down the computer for several minutes after shut down of ksp program-using high res)-and if i could just see land masses on laythe that would be great :D-

otherwise this is fantastic, great work on everyone who contrubitued directly or indrectly

sorry for spelling and other errors of all sorts--- thanks

I've worked around it for now, will make a proper fix later.

i am sorry if i am making an apperance as the guy who keeps having bugs and whines about them but i have tested everything i had, there is one more problem

screenshot71.png

bmp resim yükle"]screenshot71.png,

there appears to be an another cloud layer as shown slightly Blue ish, again no detectable layer, and its technicly not a cloud, it does not appear in game and on planets it appears only when i am looking at kerbin from a far, the blue and white layers(the real clouds) have exacly the shame shape and map, but becouse clouds move faster then planets rotation the image gets un synced after a short period of time, i am getting the feeling better atmosphere doesnt like me

OK, I'm here to make a suggestion. Sure you get like 50 a day, but here goes. :)

I'd like to see some better textures for Eeloo, Bop, Dres, Tylo, and Pol. It just feels like in this pack they were left out or rushed. They're ok, but they do not live up to the other textures (good example is Laythe. O.O).

Just a suggestion; it doesn't matter if they aren't changed.

~KyleofKerbin, the Amateur Kerbal Destroyer. :sticktongue:

OK, I'm here to make a suggestion. Sure you get like 50 a day, but here goes. :)

I'd like to see some better textures for Eeloo, Bop, Dres, Tylo, and Pol. It just feels like in this pack they were left out or rushed. They're ok, but they do not live up to the other textures (good example is Laythe. O.O).

Just a suggestion; it doesn't matter if they aren't changed.

~KyleofKerbin, the Amateur Kerbal Destroyer. :sticktongue:

well better " atmospheres" .. :)