[1.0.4] ScienceAlert 1.8.9: Experiment availability feedback (July 13)

xEvilReeperx

What's wrong with it? Can you provide your log and SA version?

Per the log it, loads, but doesn't do anything in the game, by which I mean no alerts. I have the latest version for .90. I'll PM you a link to my log.

thanks,

Soifua

is the new version backwards compatible with .25? I'm waiting a while for the mods i use to update to .90 before switching, and i just found this again today.

edit; wow i'm silly, i should have simply tried it before bothering anyone

Edited by mkire

I'm afraid the EPL/Hangar bug has returned in 0.90.

Both v1.8.2 and v1.8.3 have the issue:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at ScienceAlert.ScienceAlertProfileManager.OnVesselCreate (.Vessel newVessel) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at EventData`1[Vessel].Fire (.Vessel data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Vessel.Initialize (Boolean fromShipAssembly) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ShipConstruction.AssembleForLaunch (.ShipConstruct ship, System.String landedAt, System.String flagURL, .Game sceneState, .VesselCrewManifest crewManifest) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at AtHangar.HangarStorage+<convert_constructs_to_vessels>c__Iterator0.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Found a bug.

If you select "use Blizzy's toolbar" the icon in the app launcher does not disappear. If you then uncheck to use the toolbar it creates ANOTHER icon in the app launcher (so there are then two). Every time to check and uncheck to use Blizzy's toolbar this happens, which (as you may have guessed) can really bug out the stock app launcher.

I'm afraid the EPL/Hangar bug has returned in 0.90.

Apparently I un-fixed it in 1.8.2 by using the wrong branch. Sorry! (Re-)Fixed in 1.8.4

Found a bug.

If you select "use Blizzy's toolbar" the icon in the app launcher does not disappear. If you then uncheck to use the toolbar it creates ANOTHER icon in the app launcher (so there are then two).

Gah. I wonder how long this bug has been in there. Fixed in new version

I've noticed several times that the "EVA" button goes away when it shouldn't. Frequently this is when I'm landed:

The EVA button shows up.

I click it, and my guy goes EVA on the ladder (so is "flying over" wherever he is). The EVA button disappears.

I right click him (still on the ladder with no EVA button) and take the 100% available science. I store it in the pod.

I let go of the ladder, my guy falls to the ground, and STILL no EVA button.

I right click him, take the 100% available science, get back in the ship and recover or take off (depending).

Hmmm ... I can't think of why that would be. Any chance you have a save that can replicate that? I'll add some more debugging options to the next version to help track things like this down.

Edit: Are there any exceptions in the log (Alt+F2)? If something broke while exiting the vessel, that could explain this behaviour. If it happens again, try switching to the vessel and then back to the Kerbal. If that makes it start working again, get me the output_log and it should be easy to track down ;)

Edited by xEvilReeperx

I've just started a new career mode, and on first mission, I launched myself into the ocean. I was able to take a surface sample while on EVA, on my first mission. I understand that Surface Samples aren't unlocked until later in the building upgrade tree, so I would expect that Science Alert respects those updates. But I can keep myself honest until then. Maybe.

Hmmm ... I can't think of why that would be. Any chance you have a save that can replicate that? I'll add some more debugging options to the next version to help track things like this down.

Edit: Are there any exceptions in the log (Alt+F2)? If something broke while exiting the vessel, that could explain this behaviour. If it happens again, try switching to the vessel and then back to the Kerbal. If that makes it start working again, get me the output_log and it should be easy to track down ;)

Will do. Sadly I didn't really think to report it until I was editing the video afterward and by then it'd been a while. It happened a couple times though so I think it should happen again. I'll check that log and try switching back and forth. And I'll grab the output_log as well.

So I'm getting a pretty serious bug that only manifests itself when interacting with ScienceAlert, but I have 9 other mods so I'm not sure if it's a ScienceAlert issue or not. I'll attach an excerpt of my log and the list of mods I use.

When I go to a craft that I previously landed on the Mun (before installing ScienceAlert), the toolbar button pops up and everything appears normal. But if I click crew report in the ScienceAlert menu, I get a message that "that can't be done right now", the ship bugs out and the log throws NaN errors. The ship appears to be floating and if I tell a Kerbal to EVA the game says that kerbal bailed. This does not happen if I do a crew report the KSP way by right-clicking the craft.

Additionally, on a less game breaking but still ScienceAlert breaking side of things, the stock toolbar icon for ScienceAlert disappears if I switch crafts and I can't get it back unless I restart the game.

[ERR 23:23:45.328] ScienceAlert, Failed to find settings file C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ScienceAlert/settings.cfg

[LOG 23:23:45.335] ScienceAlert, Saving settings to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ScienceAlert/settings.cfg
[WRN 23:23:45.337] ScienceAlert, ProfileManager: Profile config not found at 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ScienceAlert/profiles.cfg'
[ERR 23:23:45.338] ScienceAlert, ProfileManager.DefaultProfile: failed to find a default profile! Creating one.

[WRN 23:23:45.340] ScienceAlert, Persistent save has no saved profiles
[LOG 23:23:45.344] ScienceAlert, Waiting on ProfileManager...
[LOG 23:23:45.345] ScienceAlert, Waiting on AppLauncher
[LOG 23:23:45.345] ScienceAlert, Initializing ScienceAlert
[LOG 23:23:45.346] ScienceAlert, ScienceAlert/sounds/bubbles ready
[LOG 23:23:45.347] ScienceAlert, ScienceAlert/sounds/click1 ready
[LOG 23:23:45.347] ScienceAlert, ScienceAlert/sounds/click2 ready
[LOG 23:23:45.347] ScienceAlert, ScienceAlert/sounds/error ready
[LOG 23:23:45.348] ScienceAlert, Creating biome filter
[LOG 23:23:45.348] ScienceAlert, Creating experiment manager
[LOG 23:23:45.351] ScienceAlert, Creating options window
[LOG 23:23:45.353] ScienceAlert, Configuring NumberFormatInfo for current locale
[LOG 23:23:45.355] ScienceAlert, Vessel b01016a2-25b2-4abb-beeb-2faf31b4a8d0:Mun Lander 2 does not have a vessel profile entry. Using default.
[LOG 23:23:45.358] ScienceAlert, Creating experiment window
[LOG 23:23:45.359] ScienceAlert, Creating debug window
[LOG 23:23:45.360] ScienceAlert, Finished creating windows
[LOG 23:23:45.361] ScienceAlert, Setting scan interface type to None
[LOG 23:23:45.362] ScienceAlert, Rebuilding observer list
[LOG 23:23:45.364] ScienceAlert, Scan interface type is now None
[LOG 23:23:45.374] ScienceAlert, Rebuilding observer list
[LOG 23:23:45.374] ScienceAlert, Toolbar button ready
[LOG 23:23:45.375] ScienceAlert, ScienceAlert initialization finished.
[LOG 23:23:45.376] KerbalEngineer -> ActionMenuGui was created.
[LOG 23:23:45.385] 12/23/2014 11:23:45 PM,KerbalAlarmClock,Adding DrawGUI to PostRender Queue
[LOG 23:23:45.386] 12/23/2014 11:23:45 PM,KerbalAlarmClock,Skipping version check
[LOG 23:23:45.568] ScienceAlert, Experiment crewReport@MunSrfLandedHighlands just became available! Total potential science onboard currently: 0 (Cap is 18, threshold is Unresearched, current sci is 0, expected next report value: 18)
[LOG 23:23:45.595] ScienceAlert, Experiment evaReport@MunSrfLandedHighlands just became available! Total potential science onboard currently: 0 (Cap is 28.8, threshold is Unresearched, current sci is 0, expected next report value: 28.8)
[LOG 23:23:45.596] [PlanetariumCamera]: Focus: Mun Lander 2
[LOG 23:23:45.655] ScienceAlert, Experiment seismicScan@MunSrfLandedHighlands just became available! Total potential science onboard currently: 0 (Cap is 79.2, threshold is Unresearched, current sci is 0, expected next report value: 72)
[LOG 23:23:45.680] ScienceAlert, Experiment temperatureScan@MunSrfLandedHighlands just became available! Total potential science onboard currently: 0 (Cap is 28.8, threshold is Unresearched, current sci is 0, expected next report value: 28.8)
[LOG 23:23:45.803] Flight State Captured
[LOG 23:23:45.807] Saving Achievements Tree...
[LOG 23:23:45.808] Saving Achievements Tree...
[LOG 23:23:45.809] Saving Achievements Tree...
[LOG 23:23:45.840] Active Vessel is moving (sqrVel = 53.3678773231025). Cannot save.
[LOG 23:23:46.895] [Mun Lander 2]: ground contact! - error: -0.015m
[LOG 23:23:46.896] Unpacking Mun Lander 2
[ERR 23:23:46.898] Coroutine couldn't be started because the the game object 'Building' is inactive!

[ERR 23:23:46.898] Coroutine couldn't be started because the the game object 'VAB3' is inactive!

[ERR 23:23:46.898] Coroutine couldn't be started because the the game object 'SouthComplex' is inactive!

[ERR 23:23:46.898] Coroutine couldn't be started because the the game object 'Facility' is inactive!

[ERR 23:23:46.899] Coroutine couldn't be started because the the game object 'Antenna_South' is inactive!

[ERR 23:23:46.899] Coroutine couldn't be started because the the game object 'Antenna_North' is inactive!

[ERR 23:23:46.899] Coroutine couldn't be started because the the game object 'Antenna_East' is inactive!

[ERR 23:23:46.899] Coroutine couldn't be started because the the game object 'Building' is inactive!

[ERR 23:23:46.899] Coroutine couldn't be started because the the game object 'Building' is inactive!

[ERR 23:23:46.900] Coroutine couldn't be started because the the game object 'Tower' is inactive!

[ERR 23:23:46.900] Coroutine couldn't be started because the the game object 'End09' is inactive!

[ERR 23:23:46.900] Coroutine couldn't be started because the the game object 'End27' is inactive!

[ERR 23:23:46.900] Coroutine couldn't be started because the the game object 'Section1' is inactive!

[ERR 23:23:46.900] Coroutine couldn't be started because the the game object 'Section2' is inactive!

[ERR 23:23:46.901] Coroutine couldn't be started because the the game object 'Section3' is inactive!

[ERR 23:23:46.901] Coroutine couldn't be started because the the game object 'Section4' is inactive!

[ERR 23:23:46.901] Coroutine couldn't be started because the the game object 'Section5' is inactive!

[ERR 23:23:46.901] Coroutine couldn't be started because the the game object 'mainBuilding' is inactive!

[ERR 23:23:46.902] Coroutine couldn't be started because the the game object 'mainBuilding' is inactive!

[ERR 23:23:46.902] Coroutine couldn't be started because the the game object 'Antenna' is inactive!

[ERR 23:23:46.902] Coroutine couldn't be started because the the game object 'ksp_pad_cylTank' is inactive!

[ERR 23:23:46.902] Coroutine couldn't be started because the the game object 'ksp_pad_launchPad' is inactive!

[ERR 23:23:46.902] Coroutine couldn't be started because the the game object 'ksp_pad_sphereTank' is inactive!

[ERR 23:23:46.903] Coroutine couldn't be started because the the game object 'ksp_pad_waterTower' is inactive!

[ERR 23:23:46.903] Coroutine couldn't be started because the the game object 'KSCFlagPoleLaunchPad' is inactive!

[ERR 23:23:46.903] Coroutine couldn't be started because the the game object 'mainBuilding' is inactive!

[LOG 23:23:46.974] FAR Raycast mask: 557059 557063
[LOG 23:23:47.007] problem!
[NaN, NaN, NaN] - [NaN, NaN, NaN] - NaN - [NaN, NaN, NaN] - 0
[LOG 23:23:47.008] problem!
[NaN, NaN, NaN] - [NaN, NaN, NaN] - NaN - [NaN, NaN, NaN] - 1.40000000130385
[LOG 23:23:47.050] problem!
[LOG 23:23:47.051] problem!
[NaN, NaN, NaN] - [NaN, NaN, NaN] - NaN - [NaN, NaN, NaN] - 1.4400000013411
[LOG 23:23:47.075] problem!
[LOG 23:23:47.076] problem!
[NaN, NaN, NaN] - [NaN, NaN, NaN] - NaN - [NaN, NaN, NaN] - 1.46000000135973
[LOG 23:23:47.092] problem!
[LOG 23:23:47.093] problem!
[LOG 23:23:45.328] ScienceAlert, Loading settings from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ScienceAlert/settings.cfg

• Crowd Sourced Science
  • Deadly Reentry Continued
  • FAR
  • Kerbal Alarm Clock
  • Kerbal Engineer Redux
  • Kerbal Flight Indicators
  • Module Manager (obviously)
  • Precise Node
  • Procedural Fairings

I'd be happy to provide any other info / try some things out to either fix this or help it be reproducible.

Edit: Found an exception, not sure if it's related or not:

System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.String,ScienceExperiment].Add (System.String key, .ScienceExperiment value)
ResearchAndDevelopment.loadExperiments ()
ResearchAndDevelopment.GetExperiment (System.String experimentID)
ModuleScienceExperiment.OnStart (StartState state)
Part.ModulesOnStart ()
Part+.MoveNext ()
[EXC 23:51:45.023] ArgumentException: An element with the same key already exists in the dictionary.

Edited by martinw89

I was able to take a surface sample while on EVA, on my first mission. I understand that Surface Samples aren't unlocked until later in the building upgrade tree, so I would expect that Science Alert respects those updates.

It should. I wasn't able to reproduce your result with SA 1.8.4. Did you activate the surface sample through the ScienceAlert UI or through the kerbal?

When I go to a craft that I previously landed on the Mun (before installing ScienceAlert), the toolbar button pops up and everything appears normal. But if I click crew report in the ScienceAlert menu, I get a message that "that can't be done right now", the ship bugs out and the log throws NaN errors.

Additionally, on a less game breaking but still ScienceAlert breaking side of things, the stock toolbar icon for ScienceAlert disappears if I switch crafts and I can't get it back unless I restart the game.

The exception you're seeing comes from having duplicate science experiment ids. Something really funny is going on in your save. ScienceAlert should fail almost immediately with an exception if that is in your log. Can I see the whole thing?

Edited by xEvilReeperx

The exception you're seeing comes from having duplicate science experiment ids. Something really funny is going on in your save. ScienceAlert should fail almost immediately with an exception if that is in your log. Can I see the whole thing?

Yup, I'm starting to think it might be unrelated save file corruption. Crap, I was really enjoying a new 0.90 career (but at least it's not an issue for you!).

Here's a log where pretty much the only thing I did was load my game, go to my landed craft, and then exited: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5933200/KSP.log

Edited by martinw89

Yup, I'm starting to think it might be unrelated save file corruption. Crap, I was really enjoying a new 0.90 career (but at least it's not an issue for you!).

Well, if it's a duplicate experiment id then all saves will be affected. I keep meaning to add a check against this kind of error since it's cropped up a few times in the past.

There are still some inconsistencies in your log, though. I see exceptions being thrown before ScienceAlert has begun initializing, and then it somehow manages to get set up when I would expect a KeyNotFound to crash it almost immediately. Does everything in your save work without ScienceAlert installed? I would expect you to have some problems with running experiments in particular

I experienced a bug with the 1.8.4 or what ever the lastest was, when I do a science report the report window never popsup and I can't decide whether to reset or keep the data, I have to transmit manually using an antenna or dish. 0.90, using remotetech also, and chatterer.

my mods list is huge at this point but with 1.8.2 it worked well, appeared when I started new campaign save. any ideas? quite anoying it is

It should. I wasn't able to reproduce your result with SA 1.8.4. Did you activate the surface sample through the ScienceAlert UI or through the kerbal?

That's likely the issue, as I'm using the latest from CKAN, which is 1.8rc2. I'll download latest and check. It was through the Science Alert UI.