[1.0.4] ScienceAlert 1.8.9: Experiment availability feedback (July 13)

xEvilReeperx

Hi guys,

For some reason scien alert does not work for me anymore. The only thing i could think of, is that i revomed some sci experiments from the parts list. Could this make problems ?

Please help!

Thanks!

I think, I have an idea of feature for this great mod

This wouldn't be too hard to work in. I'll look into it.

For some reason scien alert does not work for me anymore. The only thing i could think of, is that i revomed some sci experiments from the parts list. Could this make problems ?

Removing experiments shouldn't cause any problems. Does your log show any errors or exceptions?

This wouldn't be too hard to work in. I'll look into it.

Removing experiments shouldn't cause any problems. Does your log show any errors or exceptions?

Actually it does:

[ERR 21:02:07.510] ScienceAlert, Failed to create probe_telem ScienceSubject. If you can manage to reproduce this error, let me know.

[ERR 21:02:07.661] ScienceAlert, Exception was: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at ScienceAlert.StorageCache.FindStoredData (System.String subjectid) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ScienceAlert.Experiments.Observers.ExperimentObserver.GetScienceTotal (.ScienceSubject subject, System.Collections.Generic.List`1& data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ScienceAlert.Experiments.Observers.ExperimentObserver.UpdateStatus (ExperimentSituations experimentSituation) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

[ERR 21:02:07.618] ScienceAlert, Exception was: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at ScienceAlert.StorageCache.FindStoredData (System.String subjectid) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ScienceAlert.Experiments.Observers.ExperimentObserver.GetScienceTotal (.ScienceSubject subject, System.Collections.Generic.List`1& data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ScienceAlert.Experiments.Observers.ExperimentObserver.UpdateStatus (ExperimentSituations experimentSituation) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

[ERR 21:02:07.704] ScienceAlert, Failed to create crewReport ScienceSubject. If you can manage to reproduce this error, let me know.

There are like 100 of those in the log for dfferent experiements.

This is the first one who seems not normal:

[LOG 20:59:27.381] ScienceAlert, Loading settings from /mnt/data/games/linux/steam/Steam/SteamApps/common/Kerbal Space Program/GameData/ScienceAlert/settings.cfg

[LOG 20:59:27.397] ScienceAlert, Loaded LogMask = Normal, Warning, Error from ConfigNode

[WRN 20:59:27.433] ScienceAlert, Did not find a vessel that matches 65c5d60f-d92a-4b0b-9227-b56fd3f20a0d; check destruction event code

Here are some more:

[LOG 20:59:33.192] Control Axis Changed

[ERR 20:59:33.838] ScienceAlert, Failed to create crewReport ScienceSubject. If you can manage to reproduce this error, let me know.

[ERR 20:59:33.838] ScienceAlert, Exception was: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

[ERR 20:59:33.992] ScienceAlert, Failed to create evaReport ScienceSubject. If you can manage to reproduce this error, let me know.

Others seem the same...

What can i do ?

Thanks !

Edited by ManuxKerb

Are you using any other mods? Which experiments did you remove? I've had this exception pop up before but I have yet to hunt its cause down (hence the error message). If you could provide your save, a list of mods and roughly what you were doing and where that would be very helpful.

Do experiments work normally, right-clicking and activating them the stock way?

Yes science experiments work in stock mode. I removed some hand made science modules because they did not work they way i wanted. I experimentet with DMAmnimatedScienceGeneric module.

Too many too list them all by hand, see kerbalx, they are listed there. I did a qick test on a new vessel with only one command module and it works as expected it just seems to affect the rover for now. Only on my rover it does not work. You can download the rover here: http://kerbalx.com/crafts/1603

I was driving around on the mun and minmus with the rover and entering new binomes and waiting to get the pop ups but they dont appeared :(

Save is here: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=62356614202438218088

Edited by ManuxKerb

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I'm having a problem where EVA'd kerbals get duplicated on reboarding the vessel. They appear in the vessel, but a copy is still on the ladder. I've looked at the logs - I'm no expert, but it appears that Science Alert is involved in this problem, possibly along with MechJeb and/or DangIt.

I searched the thread and saw a few other people reporting the same problem. In any event, removing Science Alert resolves the issue. I understand this probably isn't a high priority with 1.0 round the corner, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Logs are here if you want to take a look:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r7wdup0m1jiivc2/AABIJhkBkkRQJ9ujnkg7wH_Va?dl=0

Thanks for the report! Yes, this particular issue has been hard to track down. Your case looks very specific to me though: have you removed any experiment definitions? ScienceAlert is throwing an exception while looking for surfaceSample. I failed to handle this case properly and the exception is preventing the game from handling destruction of the EVA model.

Thanks for the report! Yes, this particular issue has been hard to track down. Your case looks very specific to me though: have you removed any experiment definitions? ScienceAlert is throwing an exception while looking for surfaceSample. I failed to handle this case properly and the exception is preventing the game from handling destruction of the EVA model.

I use Crowd Sourced Science Defs, and I recently removed the original Squad sciencedefs.cfg file (or whatever it's called) because it was causing a conflict with finalising experiments from the Station Science mod. Might explain why this problem has only just started happening.

I guess for now I can put the Squad file back, if that's the issue, and remove it when I need to finalise an SS experiment.

Love this mod, by the way. It's on my "don't even think about playing 1.0 until this is updated" list.

Any word on 1.0 compatibility? I find this mod indispensable - hopefully they will build it's functionality into KSP soon...

Not working for me. Nothing appears in the stock toolbar, and there's a bunch of "Could not load" errors in the log. Not a total surprise. Must be patient - apparently there's a real world out there. It'll probably take a month for all the mods I want to use to be updated...

1.8.4 is currently incompatible with KSP 1.0 (first glance shows a few minor API changes with some things ScienceAlert works with). I'm working on a quick compatibility update to get it working as-is with 1.0, then an almost complete rewrite this weekend so I can add some features that have been requested for a long time and fix some long-standing bugs

1.0 release Please!

This makes you sound like a demanding jerk, but I'm sure you aren't. Everyone above you sent in words of thanks and praise before asking about a 1.0 release. It's a trying time for mod authors, so try to be extra nice and considerate to them right now.

I also love this mod and sorely miss it. I cannot wait for that shiney little beaker to return to its home; thank you Reeper! I'll keep hitting refresh in ckan every 20 minutes in hope. :P

Alright, quick update is out! There are a few small bugfixes in this version not worth mentioning but otherwise it's functionally exactly the same as 1.8.4. I haven't had a lot of playtime on this version but since the changes were very small there shouldn't be any surprises.

Nonetheless, if you do find a problem let me know and I'll fix it as soon as I'm done sleeping :)