[1.0.4] ScienceAlert 1.8.9: Experiment availability feedback (July 13)

xEvilReeperx

When a pod is on the ground and you have both "flying" and "on the ground" EVA reports to do, the EVA button shows up. If you click it so your Kerbal goes EVA and hangs on the ladder, the EVA button goes away even though there is a valid EVA report to do "flying." You can right click your Kerbal and take the report and get the science for it.

Hmmm this is odd. Are you sure you don't just have an untransmitted EVA report for the "flying" situation on your (or any other) vessel? Even though taking a report looks like it would gain science (the window would show green on the bar), ScienceAlert is already accounting for any other reports you might have untransmitted on other vessels (including your "host" vessel) for that particular report. If this isn't the case for you, I'd love to get some more detail

There seems to be something of a memory leak with this mod? I've tried isolating every other mod but this one seems to be the one that makes my memory useage skyrocket. Anyone else with this problem?

There seems to be something of a memory leak with this mod? I've tried isolating every other mod but this one seems to be the one that makes my memory useage skyrocket. Anyone else with this problem?

Can you be more specific (and define "skyrocket")? Some work gets done in the background whenever the reference body changes to improve detection accuracy so you might see an increase in memory usage for about 20 seconds after switching planets (of 8-10mb). I double checked and that part isn't leaking, and I can't reproduce anything else that looks like a leak on a stock install + SA.

How big of a leak are you seeing? What are you doing in game at the time? I'd be happy to check it out

I'm also noticing memory leaks, switching from VAB to the Craft and back again I lose a few 100mb each time. It might also be another mod but I haven't taken the time to disable one by one yet, that will be on my agenda today.

Edit: Removed Science Altert and the VAB -> Flight issue is mostly gone. Memory seems to only creep by 1-2MB without it if at all.

My findings with it on:

VAB - Flight - VAB - Flight - etc

2550MB - 2646MB - 2716MB - 2633MB - 2756MB - 2686MB - 2816MB

Seems to jump up 20-30MB on each screen

Will be running the game without it for the rest of today, was crashing on me every few hours due to mem issues so I will see if it's stopped now.

Edited by OtakuD
results

Hmmm this is odd. Are you sure you don't just have an untransmitted EVA report for the "flying" situation on your (or any other) vessel? Even though taking a report looks like it would gain science (the window would show green on the bar), ScienceAlert is already accounting for any other reports you might have untransmitted on other vessels (including your "host" vessel) for that particular report. If this isn't the case for you, I'd love to get some more detail

Nope. This is the first ship in a new save. And every ship after. I've got video of it; I'll be posting episode 1 of my new series in a few hours (I get off work at 7, and it may take an hour to upload so hopefully 8:30 or so). It occurs in the video just after 2 minutes in, like I said in the very first thing ever to go on the launchpad. I click crew report. (and get one), click EVA report (and Val gets out of the pod) and the EVA button goes away. I right click, take an EVA report, and get the credit for it.

I've loaded the save a few times since then sadly so I don't know if I've still got the log. But I'm sure I can recreate it. I don't think it has ever worked for me.

EDIT: Same first flight, 2 minutes later at just 4 minutes into the video, it happened again.

EDIT2: Later in the video at 23:45, it works fine. I land, get an EVA button, click it, get out on the ladder, the button is still there, I click it, and get "flying" EVA science. So whatever it is is transitory. And I take back what I said about it never working for me :)

Edited by 5thHorseman

Hi

I just want to report, that the EVA Report shows up all the time, even when you have done it, it still shows up. Its the same with Take surface sample. This even shows up if you are inside the rocket and parking on the launchpad.....

Otherwise it seems to work ok. Thanks for the mod!

Hi

I just want to report, that the EVA Report shows up all the time, even when you have done it, it still shows up. Its the same with Take surface sample. This even shows up if you are inside the rocket and parking on the launchpad.....

Otherwise it seems to work ok. Thanks for the mod!

Has that science been recovered yet?

Nope. This is the first ship in a new save. And every ship after. I've got video of it; I'll be posting episode 1 of my new series in a few hours (I get off work at 7, and it may take an hour to upload so hopefully 8:30 or so). It occurs in the video just after 2 minutes in, like I said in the very first thing ever to go on the launchpad. I click crew report. (and get one), click EVA report (and Val gets out of the pod) and the EVA button goes away. I right click, take an EVA report, and get the credit for it.

Alright, I'm pretty sure I finally found this one. You won't be alerted for flying high / flying low experiments on Kerbin when you haven't upgraded the astronaut complex due a small oversight. I'm rather amazed I've never noticed this personally. Can you confirm this is the issue?

Could you open your log right after this happens (Alt+F2) and tell me what it says just after the alert pops? You should see something along the lines of this:

ScienceAlert, Experiment crewReport@KerbinFlyingHigh just became available! Total potential science onboard currently: 0 (Cap is 4.5, threshold is Unresearched, current sci is 0, expected next report value: 4.5)

Also, as much detail as possible. There could be bug in how the science is getting calculated due to a difficulty multiplier or something else like that. If you could reproduce it in as few steps as possible starting from a fresh game, that would be great :)

When a pod is on the ground and you have both "flying" and "on the ground" EVA reports to do, the EVA button shows up. If you click it so your Kerbal goes EVA and hangs on the ladder, the EVA button goes away even though there is a valid EVA report to do "flying." You can right click your Kerbal and take the report and get the science for it.

This was also in the previous version, but I may have forgotten to report it :oops:

Im pretty sure this is only in Career before you get the Astronaut Complex upgrade that allows for EVA when not on Kerbin. Because your craft is on the ground you can EVA and perform it on the ladder but you're not really supposed to be able to. Correct me if I'm wrong though

OK

Reproduce:

Carrer mode, simple rocket with comamdn pod, make sure you can upgrade r&d so you can do surface samples etc.

When i launch the vessel it shows this in the log:

[LOG 12:10:03.328] ScienceAlert, Experiment surfaceSample@KerbinSrfLandedLaunchPad just became available! Total potential science onboard currently: 0 (Cap is 12, threshold is Unresearched, current sci is 0, expected next report value: 9)

But the kerbal is still in the pod and not on the ground (in the rocket ontop of booster) so i think this should not be shown! (Surface sample, eva and crew report is showing)

Then i go on eva, (report still showing), Do the report (does not show anymore as expected), board the vessel agian (eva report shows again, despite i did just take it!)

LOG:

[LOG 12:10:03.328] ScienceAlert, Experiment surfaceSample@KerbinSrfLandedLaunchPad just became available! Total potential science onboard currently: 0 (Cap is 12, threshold is Unresearched, current sci is 0, expected next report value: 9)

Thanks

Alright, I'm pretty sure I finally found this one. You won't be alerted for flying high / flying low experiments on Kerbin when you haven't upgraded the astronaut complex due a small oversight. I'm rather amazed I've never noticed this personally. Can you confirm this is the issue?

It fits the data from this one video. The first 2 were before upgrading, and the 3rd was my first space mission so I upgraded the complex to be able to EVA. I take it you weren't alerting for "flying at Kerbin" because it's impossible to eva while the craft is flying?

One suggestion: When you fix it, fix it so it checks if you're EVA or not, not if you *can* go EVA. Because I've done EVA reports with rescue kerbals before so I could get the science without spending the money on the complex.

One suggestion: When you fix it, fix it so it checks if you're EVA or not, not if you *can* go EVA. Because I've done EVA reports with rescue kerbals before so I could get the science without spending the money on the complex.

That's essentially what the fix was: if you're already EVA, ignore what the game says is possible

OK

Reproduce:

Carrer mode, simple rocket with comamdn pod, make sure you can upgrade r&d so you can do surface samples etc.

[snip]

As written, it's working as intended. There are two ways your log can be interpreted though (maybe you pasted the wrong lines?).

Assuming you meant surfaceSample:

There's an option in additional options that enables surfaceSample checks while inside the craft. You're being alerted that a surface sample experiment is available, you go on EVA, you take an EVA report (which is not a surface sample) and then you get back into the vessel only to be alerted that you haven't done that surface sample yet. That's working as intended

Assuming you meant evaReport:

ScienceAlert is looking at the state of the current vessel when it's checking for reports. While your craft is on the pad, it's landed. So you should be receiving an alert that says something along the lines of:

evaReport@KerbinSrfLandedLaunchPad just became available

But then you hop on EVA and your kerbal is dangling from a ladder. The game considers this to be flying. Assuming you have upgraded your astronaut complex (because of a current bug), you will be alerted again. But this time:

Experiment evaReport@KerbinFlyingLowShores just became available!

So if you simply activate the experiment and go back inside, you're still missing that ground EVA report. You need to get off the ladder and onto the surface to get the report ScienceAlert warned you about while inside the craft.

Why there is always an Alert when i roll out a Vessel to Launchpad at 1.0?

Alerted EVA gives exactly zero points. Thats differ from 0.90.

Did you get landed and "flying over" EVAs? The aleter will alert you if you have surface EVAs to do, but when you get out of your pod you're on the ladder so are actually "flying over" the shores. Drop down, and get the EVA report on the ground.

There's an option under "additional options" to include the surface sample check while inside a vessel the way the EVA check works. You still need to meet all requirements though: craft must be crewed with at least one non-tourist, EVA is unlocked via astronaut complex, and surface samples are unlocked via R&D building.

Thanks for this! I had totally missed this setting in options!

You rock!

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to xEvilReeperx again." It'll come!

Possible bug report: I'm getting alerts to do EVA's in orbit above kerbin, but those EVA's yield zero science. Maybe I have something set up wrong?

Thanks in advance: great mod.

Possible bug report: I'm getting alerts to do EVA's in orbit above kerbin, but those EVA's yield zero science. Maybe I have something set up wrong?

Thanks in advance: great mod.

I'm seeing those as well. I *think* that it's because I'm orbiting over small slivers of biome so by the time I get out I've passed over it.

I'm seeing those as well. I *think* that it's because I'm orbiting over small slivers of biome so by the time I get out I've passed over it.

This is correct -- there are areas near Kerbin's shores (around islands and stuff) where you can detect a very small patch of the Tundra biome. If you are in a equatorial orbit and experiencing this near shores/water, then this is what you are experiencing!

To confirm this is your issue, toss a ship into a polar orbit and make sure you grab the Tundra and Pole biomes, and see if it still happens. Hope this helps.

This is correct -- there are areas near Kerbin's shores (around islands and stuff) where you can detect a very small patch of the Tundra biome. If you are in a equatorial orbit and experiencing this near shores/water, then this is what you are experiencing!

To confirm this is your issue, toss a ship into a polar orbit and make sure you grab the Tundra and Pole biomes, and see if it still happens. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the tip. Will do.

There's a filter in place that should be preventing those types of alerts from happening (they're false positives due to the way the biome map works). It does take about 10 seconds for that filter to get built so if you load into a ship in orbit and immediately time warp you could potentially trigger them a time or two. Does the Alt+F2 log mention an eva report for the tundra or poles while in an equatorial orbit?

Which report is being alerted (Alt+F2 "just became available") and which are you actually taking when you step outside to take it?

There's a filter in place that should be preventing those types of alerts from happening (they're false positives due to the way the biome map works). It does take about 10 seconds for that filter to get built so if you load into a ship in orbit and immediately time warp you could potentially trigger them a time or two. Does the Alt+F2 log mention an eva report for the tundra or poles while in an equatorial orbit?

Which report is being alerted (Alt+F2 "just became available") and which are you actually taking when you step outside to take it?

I'll try some trials and check with Alt+F2, but I'm 100% positive that I have been able to grab Tundra Biome's EVA from low Kerbin orbit on a newly launched (not loaded) ship. I would just warp to near a shore area (there's only 1 or 2 on all of Kerbin that will trigger it for about 1-3 seconds), stop warp, and spam-click on the science alert window to trigger the EVA and then report; which will say EVA report from just above Kerbin's Tundra. If I never captured the Tundra report on said ship and just kept orbiting, I would get the same 1 or 2 rapid ScienceAlert sound warnings every orbit. Again, not a loaded ship, but a newly build, launched, and orbiting one. I'll try to run some better experiments tonight with the Alt+F2 log tonight.