[1.0.4] ScienceAlert 1.8.9: Experiment availability feedback (July 13)

xEvilReeperx

Oh, those! Yes, those are harmless. You see that in cases where an experiment uses custom logic instead of the stock method of situation/biome mask to decide when it's available. I can see why you'd think there might be a problem though. I'll move that logic to a single check when the game loads so the log doesn't get spammed unnecessarily with them every time the experiment list is refreshed. Thanks :)

Prorgammdude's update works perfectly for me. The first time I launched a vessel though it didn't seem to catch that I'd done a bunch of experiments already, but it figured it out pretty quick.

ScienceAlert creates a new toolbar icon whenever changing scene from flight to the KSC and back again.

Might be worth implementing a check for an already present icon?

- Edit:

Okay, it apparently only does this after I've reloaded the part catalogue in-game.

Edited by Ph34rb0t

Strange, no duplicate icons. But it keeps spamming me with false alerts, because I've already completed some experimets (100% ones like crew reports) before using mod and now it tells me to do them again. Strange, that never happened before 0.25, even though I wasn't using mod on clean savegame.

Strange, no duplicate icons. But it keeps spamming me with false alerts, because I've already completed some experimets (100% ones like crew reports) before using mod and now it tells me to do them again. Strange, that never happened before 0.25, even though I wasn't using mod on clean savegame.

Same thing here. It doesn't seem to account for experiments that have been saved for recovery, even when the "assume recovery" option has been turned on.

I'm working on it as we speak. It's taking a bit since I'm rolling in all the features I had planned but didn't have time for and clearing out the current list of known bugs (18 atm) as well, plus rewriting any bits in which I can take advantage of new events or methods to make things simpler or faster.

If you find any problems with the current version especially when it comes to calculated report value, I'd love to know so they'll be added to my checklist

One thing I have noticed, which has gotten worse in 0.25, is that when I takeoff it thinks for about a second that I am flying above launchpad/runway, when in reality if I try the experiments I am flying above kerbin shores. Either disabling these specific biomes, or a way of blacklisting certain biome/experiment combinations would be great.

I'm working on it as we speak. It's taking a bit since I'm rolling in all the features I had planned but didn't have time for and clearing out the current list of known bugs (18 atm) as well, plus rewriting any bits in which I can take advantage of new events or methods to make things simpler or faster.

If you find any problems with the current version especially when it comes to calculated report value, I'd love to know so they'll be added to my checklist

Glad to see you working on it :D

When you say "current version", do you mean the recompile by Programmdude ? I am looking at his post with a raised eyebrow, mostly because it's his first one on the whole forum.

Just came to check... Was doing my usual roving and noticed not getting the "Ble-Blop" sound anymore, and then I notice it's gone from the toolbar. Then I remembered, "Oh right, 0.25 happened."

I'll be waiting.

One question: will this new version check into your stored experiments to see if you already have it before constantly reminding you that you can run the experiment ? Example: Fly over kerbin's shores. I do all the science and go back in. 3sec later "Ble-Blop" sound, for Kerbin's shore again.

Thanks for this mod, 5th horseman made me discover it and it's insanely good !

One question: will this new version check into your stored experiments to see if you already have it before constantly reminding you that you can run the experiment ? Example: Fly over kerbin's shores. I do all the science and go back in. 3sec later "Ble-Blop" sound, for Kerbin's shore again.

The old version shouldn't be doing that (unless you've configured it do so). Can you provide more detail? Specifically, which experiment(s) were being alerted and what your filter method was.

This usually happens when you've configured SA to alert you for "not maxed" experiments -- SA is doing what it's supposed to, and any time you have a) a particular experiment available and B) using that experiment will result in a non-zero science result after calculating the value of any other similar samples onboard then you'll be alerted. You can use the min threshold to filter out small report values or step down the filter method to something like <90% which should be ideal for most cases unless you're trying to wring every last science point out of a particular experiment

Ok, I guess it makes sense. I still had 0.1 left and it was popping up because I did tell it to pop if no maxxed.

I guess the way I was trying to set it up is to NOT notify me if I already took a sample on THIS mission, but to DO notify me in case I come across something not completed yet. I do want to complete these last 0.1 tho (why not, I mean I'm there and I have a lab)

Thanks for the answer !

Edited by Francois424

Ok, I guess it makes sense. I still had 0.1 left and it was popping up because I did tell it to pop if no maxxed.

I guess the way I was trying to set it up is to NOT notify me if I already took a sample on THIS mission, but to DO notify me in case I come across something not completed yet. I do want to complete these last 0.1 tho (why not, I mean I'm there and I have a lab)

Thanks for the answer !

i'm kind of a completionist, so I usually set the global limit to 1 science. anything less then that, even if i'm recovering, it's worth the hassle, and the squelches all of the "you have .00000009 of a science point to do right now" type alerts.

i'm kind of a completionist, so I usually set the global limit to 1 science. anything less then that, even if i'm recovering, it's worth the hassle, and the squelches all of the "you have .00000009 of a science point to do right now" type alerts.

Good Idea, I'll try that next time.

I only released my recompile since there were people asking for it and I was doing it for myself anyway. Another mod that I found useful recently is the [x] Science checklist, similar functionality in this mod would be nice too, so then I can be a completionist and get all the science.

I guess the way I was trying to set it up is to NOT notify me if I already took a sample on THIS mission, but to DO notify me in case I come across something not completed yet.

Well, it's looking at things on a per-sample basis already. "Mystery goo in low orbit over Kerbin's shores" is completely separate from "Mystery goo in low orbit over Kerbin's grasslands". At "not maxed", you'll be alerted any time taking a sample for that specific experiment + body + situation (if applicable) + biome (if applicable) would result in a report that, once recovered, would be worth a non-zero amount of science after accounting for any science already gathered for that subject plus any other duplicate onboard samples.

There's surely a better way to convey what's happening in the UI so if you have any suggestions I'd be interested in them :)

Well I think I'll be OK once I set it to ignore < 1 science gains.

A suggestion would be as follow: If I already have a sample stored on my craft (say flying at Kerbin's Shores), no matter what is left, do not alert me again.

Not sure if doable, but that would be a great tool. I can set it to bug me all it wants, even for 0.1 science. But as soon as I have a sample of the place in question, no matter how much is left and what I have the alert set to, do not bother me again... at least for this mission or unless I dump the sample.

Your mod is great tho, I love it :)

Edited by Francois424