(RSS/RO) Constellation Essentials v1.3.1: Trusses, Engines, Adapters (Apr21)

BahamutoD

I didn't mean to be disrespectful, it was just a suggestion. BTW your idea with Constellation logo is the best option IMO :)

It's all good. I made the red NASA logo a bit smaller, you won't even notice it! haha

These look great! Would you consider making a matching adapter piece for the trusses (7.5m to 5m for RSS, which would rescale to 3.75m to 2.5m for vanilla)?

Yup, that's next on the list. I just finished the 7.5m docking ring. The adapter piece will resemble that end piece of the LH tank where the engines are attached in the reference pic.

Yeah I like that pod. If you look again at the pictures from the first post, you'll see that I'm already using them! They need a bit of tweaking to convert to RSS though (off-center COM for aerodynamic control in reentry).

It's all good. I made the red NASA logo a bit smaller, you won't even notice it! haha

Yup, that's next on the list. I just finished the 7.5m docking ring. The adapter piece will resemble that end piece of the LH tank where the engines are attached in the reference pic.

Yeah I like that pod. If you look again at the pictures from the first post, you'll see that I'm already using them! They need a bit of tweaking to convert to RSS though (off-center COM for aerodynamic control in reentry).

Thanks for the tip on the COM. Had not tested it yet on reentry. Jeb thanks you and says he wants to buy you a beer.

Let me talk with jnrobinson to see if he can tweek the COM on his capsule and develop a heatshield for it.

Edited by Prowler_x1

oh wow, these are some really nice looking parts BahamutoD!! I hadn't seen this mod before, Prowler_x1 just told me about it. The Copernicus truss section would have been so useful in my constellation mission! That was a very tricky section to make, this will make it much easier and I can also think of some other (non-constellation) uses for it.

That engine looks really nice too, what are the specs for it?

Awesome stuff, keep it up! oh, and just noticed you mentioned my vid in the first post, Thanks!!! :)

Thanks man~ Your video was inspirational to say the least! The regular KSP specs for the engine loosely follow the specs from that reference document: 110kn thrust, 915s isp, 3.5t. For the realfuels/solarsystem version, I'm trying to follow it a bit more accurately, but I'm still playing around with it to get the balance right. Right now its 3.78t; LH2 mode is 111.2kn thrust, 941s isp; LH2+LOx is 485.7kn thrust, 514s isp.

Thanks for the tip on the COM. Had not tested it yet on reentry. Jeb thanks you and says he wants to buy you a beer.

Let me talk with jnrobinson to see if he can tweek the COM on his capsule and develop a heatshield for it.

Sweet, tell Jeb I'll take a Guiness.

I do believe there is a few mods out there that allow you to put custom logos on parts. I would post the link but I don't remember it. Maybe someone else can help us out with the link?

Here is a cool one from Constellation you can use if you wish.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/26/Constellation_logo_white.svg

One option is to go with stock KSP's FlagDecal module

It requires that the model have a dedicated and UVed quad. The part config file then needs this:

MODULE
{
name = FlagDecal
textureQuadName = flagTransform
}

That's actually been in the game for about a year now but until 0.23.5 has not even been used in stock parts. It can also be disabled in the VAB (tweak) if a player doesn't want the logo.

I might put it on my own parts.

One option is to go with stock KSP's FlagDecal module

It requires that the model have a dedicated and UVed quad. The part config file then needs this:

MODULE
{
name = FlagDecal
textureQuadName = flagTransform
}

That's actually been in the game for about a year now but until 0.23.5 has not even been used in stock parts. It can also be disabled in the VAB (tweak) if a player doesn't want the logo.

I might put it on my own parts.

Thanks for the great tip.

I am sure many people will find good use for it.

Regards,

After Copernicus, I'll do 2 or 3 Ares parts, then the Mars landers' parts.

Loving your work!

Here is a stream featuring the part in action: http://www.twitch.tv/seniorslaphead/b/520922573

Perversely, I rather like docking sideways. :)

Nice use of the truss! That lander fits perfectly.

Edited by BahamutoD

After Copernicus, I'll do 2 or 3 Ares parts, then the Mars landers' parts.

Nice use of the truss! That lander fits perfectly.

A more realistic looking HAB module for Copernicus would be nice? I don't particularly like the look and feel of the other mod. It has a dirty, bloaty appearance, maybe they called huggies instead of hughes for the design.

Edited by Prowler_x1

Yeah, those are what I meant by 'landers'. They will be pretty tricky and will probably take alot more time than all the other parts.

You should talk to katateochi. That guy is full of clever ideas, maybe he can push some craft files your way. I am sure you can take his builds and polish them out with custom parts.

Edited by Prowler_x1

How about a non-stretchy version of the Copernicus fuel tank? It'd be much more convenient to have it that way. Also, I think you could use BobCat's Ares V as an LV for the non-RSS version. I couldn't get it to work with RSS, but that was a few versions ago. I'll try again someday.

I was thinking.

You might want to replace the NASA logos with the "flag decal" stamp that uses whatever the player's mission flag is.

I definitely like those smaller nuclear rockets that have built in thermoelectric generators. Is there a way you could make them run on just liquid fuel or a custom fuel just like a real nuclear rocket? This might require real-fuels or KSP Interstellar to get the ISP Curve right, and you will definitely need custom tanks.

As a note, did you make sure the generator in the nuclear rocket was a generator element, and not an alternator? This way it's power generation is fixed rate, not based on fuel consumption.

I was thinking.

You might want to replace the NASA logos with the "flag decal" stamp that uses whatever the player's mission flag is.

+1, that's a fab idea. BahamutoD, looking forward to seeing the landers, you're one of the most capable modders I've seen.

How about a non-stretchy version of the Copernicus fuel tank? It'd be much more convenient to have it that way. Also, I think you could use BobCat's Ares V as an LV for the non-RSS version. I couldn't get it to work with RSS, but that was a few versions ago. I'll try again someday.

I want to keep it as modular as possible, so there isn't only one way to use it. I think a stretchy/procedural tank is the best way to go for this.

I was thinking.

I definitely like those smaller nuclear rockets that have built in thermoelectric generators. Is there a way you could make them run on just liquid fuel or a custom fuel just like a real nuclear rocket? This might require real-fuels or KSP Interstellar to get the ISP Curve right, and you will definitely need custom tanks.

As a note, did you make sure the generator in the nuclear rocket was a generator element, and not an alternator? This way it's power generation is fixed rate, not based on fuel consumption.

I'll try incorporate that decal somewhere, but apparently it has to be a single quad, and theres no space for a flat rectangle on the engines. I'll probably add it to the truss when I go back for an art pass.

+1, that's a fab idea. BahamutoD, looking forward to seeing the landers, you're one of the most capable modders I've seen.

Thanks!

Neat! Could you provide stats in the OP?

For what, the engine?

Can you post an assembly guide (Or a .craft file and/or subassemblies), because I can't really get that many details from the pictures on the first page.

After I finish more of the parts, I'm gonna make a video showcase, but until then, using your own creativity is what KSP is all about, right? Just go for it.

Just noticed that in the Stock version the engines aren't resized so they're huge :P

They're resized to 75% instead of 50% like the other parts because it would be way smaller than the LV-N, which I don't think makes sense. All these parts are originally intended for RSS scale so things will unfortunately get weird for normal scale.

Edited by BahamutoD

Stretchy tanks and stretchy all is the way to go.... less clutter and more bang for the buck. Once you start using it you will feel other parts with fixed values just don't match up. Also it keeps KSP light. Same part different possibilities...

I'm sure you get the idea...