[023.5] mini Saturn V with Launch Umbilical Tower

Hello :) here's my latest rocket - a mini version of Saturn V (for 1 kerbal) (spent a lot of time designing it - and it's launch tower :P)

I'd like to thanks GusTurbo, which shared with me it's mini LEM based on a command chair - which i studied to make a brand new one for this new mini Saturn V

the rocket itself is around 500 parts.

i'll also include a link to my 'illuminator' simplistic rover, which have 4x 5parts light arrays, to illuminate your rockets for night launches (my pictures were taken with those 4 arrays deployed around the launch pad)

at 825 parts, i think it's obvious why i went with a 'mini' version instead of a full Saturn V for Kerbin (especially with the launch tower ^^):P

Mission Album :

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Action groups :

Abort : ignite the escape tower, and decouple the command pod from the rocket. (this escape tower is special, she's able to make a 180° turn at the end of the burn, so the pod ends up with it's shield pointing prograde :P - still experimental :P)

key 0 : eject the escape tower after an abort.

key 9 : deploy the parachutes after an abort.

Launch sequence :

you can put your pilot inside the lander can instead of the MK1 command pod, if you wish to walk the boarding ramp to the rocket :)

1st staging : fold the boarding ramp away.

2nd staging : activate the engines (i recommand to keep the throttle to 0 before activating them, then increasing the throttle - once at full throttle, stage to release the rocket :P)

3rd staging : rocket release, and folding the umbilical arms.

ascent phase : i usually start my g-turn between 5000 and 6000m with a small turn towards 90°, then i try to follow / be slightly ahead of the prograde marker to try to hit 45° at 20000m.

the first stage will usually run out of fuel at this altitude.

stage to separate the S-1C from the rest of the rocket, and a second time to ignite the engines.

you can drop with another staging the ullage ring afterwards, once it's separatrons stopped burning.

the escape tower ejection comes next in the staging list, at your convenience :)

i try to reach a 30° angle above the horizon at 30000m, then continue to turn towards 0° (usually between 45000m and 50000m)

the second stage will burn out roughly when reaching a 1600 / 1700 m/s of speed, use the third stage to circularize (it has plenty of fuel for circularizing, corrections and Free Return Trajectory)

once en route to the mün, you can eject the fairings, turn around with the CSM, and take the LEM from the S-IVb :)

brake in mün's orbit with the CSM.

here's come the tricky parts :

there's a command chair hidden inside the LEM, you'll need to get your pilot out, and move your camera inside the LEM to target the chair, and board the seat. - you can then separate (target the LEM docking port, there's a small visible ring of it at the top of the LEM)

you can now make your descent (i have just slightly more than 700m/s of delta-V in the descent stage - so don't do too much fancy things or you won't be able to land :P)

the ascent stage is much more permissive with 1000m/s for your orbital manoeuvers. - don't forget to disable the descent stage engine before taking off with the ascent stage :)

rendez-vous in orbit (again, move your camera inside the LEM to target your pilot to order him to leave the seat) then board your CSM to drop the LEM ascent module before making your return burn :).

Here are the .craft files :

the mini Saturn V (VAB, 825 parts) : http://www./view/pa1pe2txpvd2bpm/Mini_Saturn-V.craft

the illuminator (SPH, 5 parts per light array deployed by the rover) : http://www./view/1jb99m6acrnd8mc/Illuminator.craft

as always in KSP, Have fun :)

Edited by sgt_flyer

Hehe :) the ladder cover is really useful in this case :P it lets me board the command pod with no problems :P

As for the lem, yeh, it was quite a long work miniaturizing something this complex - while keeping partcount / weight / delta-v in the realm of the usable :P we need something less complex for the future real life landers :P

Edited by sgt_flyer

That launch tower is very impressive and the LM's dimensions are also impressive.

Those micro landing struts I think are the most similar to the actual Apollo LM, so need a small LM to keep it in proportion.

I'm really liking the design part of this game, I've been playing for about 3 months and all I want to do is build things, I've landed a probe on EVE and thats it, haven't even visited Duna... been too busy building to go explore.

Edited by Aegeas

Feel free to disassemble it :) If you just open it in the VAB, most computers of a few years old should be able to handle it within the VAB. (As there's no physics in the vab, most processors / graphic cards should be able to play at a correct framerate in the VAB)

Although the rocket itself is a melting pot of the various techniques i learned :P (there's even a few of those techniques i develloped myself :P)

I spent enough time playing around with KSP's physics for animating my launch towers at least ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.