To the Mun on the Cheap

SlowThought

Greetings. I've been playing with the demo version a few days now, and have made several successful Munar orbits (including one Kerbanaut on permanent spacewalk),

9i2zE8U.png

and have been looking at some of the things the KSP community has been doing on YouTube. It strikes me that nuclear reactors, plasma drives, (WARP drives? Really? I thought KSP was about GOOD physics?) etc make the game way too easy. I may change my mind once I've thoroughly explored the demo world, but there's a lot of fun to be had trying to be creative with such a limited number of parts, and such limited performance.

berPlGD.png

Anyway, you'll be hearing more from me.

Edited by SlowThought
fix broken image

It strikes me that nuclear reactors, plasma drives, (WARP drives? Really? I thought KSP was about GOOD physics?) etc make the game way too easy. I may change my mind once I've thoroughly explored the demo world, but there's a lot of fun to be had trying to be creative with such a limited number of parts, and such limited performance.

There are none of those in the game. Those are mods. The stock game just has an expansion of the parts in the demo. You wont see anything in stock KSP like that besides maybe an RTG, which is used on sattelites in the real world.

For a limited parts challenge, that is what Career mode starts you out with. You unlock more parts as you earn science points.

You do have enough parts in the demo to attempt a landing and return from Mun. This demo ship did the mission with fuel to spare.

vdlNdVm.jpg

JC0F54u.jpg

rH78NoH.jpg

Not everybody mods in warp drives (though IIRC that mod does not just hand you OP parts. Quite the opposite in fact). One of the joys of career mode is figuring out how to do stuff with a limited part pool that makes the demo parts list look like a buffet table.

Here's a trip I took to Minmus with the parts that all of 5 science points can buy:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

You do have enough parts in the demo to attempt a landing and return from Mun. This demo ship did the mission with fuel to spare.
Well done! I had already settled on a "mission module" that appears identical to yours, and tried vertical hops at the Space Center (ugly, very ugly, but I'll bet easier in zero G).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.