Need a good space book!

JT2227

Our choir class in school is amazing, and our final project is to make a soundtrack for a book. If we make a trailer, we will receive extra credit. I really want to use KSP to make the trailer for a book, but I can't find a space book that isn't set around the right thing. Does anyone know a really good space themed book to read?

It would be nice if it were set in this era (nothing too futuristic).

I made this video a while back and I was hoping to make something similar.

The book I picked is "The Martian" By Andy Weir! Thanks for all the suggestions, if you have suggestions for the soundtrack, I'd love to hear them!

Edit!

The Video is done!

Here is "The Martian" By Andy Weir

Edited by JT2227

Thanks for all the ideas, I want to read all of them... I will. I'll tell you when I make a decision, and until then we should make another book thread, for all space and science books! I'm busy so I won't be able to manage that too often, but anyone on here should definitely try!

Edited by JT2227

If you want something you can do with KSP without much hassle (Rama's a good book, but the ship in it wouldn't be possible to build in KSP) then I would recommend Pushing Ice by Alastair Reynolds above all others. Given that asteroid capturing is now a thing in KSP this would be a straightforward job with exciting features. Good luck man!

I want to read all the books, I'll put up a post when I finish the trailer. It will take a while, and it's due in June and I have other things I need to do. Thank you so much, this community is awesome.

Tau Zero by Poul Anderson, excellent hard SF. I think I want to create a soft sf novel sometimes, like with warp drive and such, but without too much technobabble like in ST. Is

Secconding this.

I recently re-read "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" by Robert A. Heinlein. I think it is from 1966. But a good book. The whole thing is written in kind of a space jargon, based around what would happen if you colonized the Moon using prisoners and "forced volunteers" as your base/initial colonists. Plus a self-aware computer. Some very cool concepts and a good read, once you get a hang for the creole-computer slang thing.

I got "The Martian" By Andy Weir. I got it at 1 o'clock. It's 9. I'm on page 200. I am going to use this amazing, just... beautiful book. But, to go with the beautiful book, I need some beautiful music. I already have "Sleep" By Ethan Gustavson, and "You are a memory" By Message to bears. I want to make this trailer as perfect as it can be, so if you have some great space music, please leave links you amazing people!

The Martian, by Andy Weir. Excellent, hard sf.

Sixthed? It's ironic that it isn't labelled as SF at my library. Awesome all the way.

Small caution, he swears a lot, in case that bothers you. But he has grand cause to swear a lot.

Failure is Not an Option

-Gene Kranz

Seconded this. Also, "A Man on the Moon" by Andrew Chaikin is awesome. Which reminds me, I should probably replace my tattered, worn, sun bleached and thoroughly thumbed paperback copy at some point. :)

For a slightly different view, "Space Race" by Deborah Cadbury is good. Lighter than Chaikin but it has some interesting stuff about the end of WW2 and the Soviet space programme.

For non-fiction, "Voyage" or "Moonseed" by Stephen Baxter are good and pretty hard SF, although a tad bleak. In fact you could say the same about most of his space stuff but it is generally well written IMO.

Edited by KSK

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.