Move RCS tanks to Control part tab

As the title says - I would like to see the RCS fuel tanks moved out of the Propulsion part tab, and join the RCS thrusters in the Control part tab.

Generally, when I build my rockets, I'll add an entire subsystem at a time. A stage (engines and fuel tanks), the science bits (except for the SACNC, they all fit together), etc. But it always annoys me when I decide to add RCS, and I have to flip back and forth between the Propulsion tab and the Control tab to add/remove tanks and add/remove thrusters. Additionally, the Propulsion tab is crowded with all the solid- and liquid-fuel gear, while the Control tab is almost empty - shifting the RCS tanks from the former to the latter would (partly) balance out the number of parts in these two tabs.

Myself I don`t really see a bother one way or the other so I`ll agree. While we are doing that though, the Ion engines and tanks should get moved out of utility too...

Especially now that they're borderline useful by being made "so overpowered." :D

The whole part organization needs a remodel. Ideally you should be able to make your own tabs, rename the current tabs, drag parts from tab to tab, and drag parts within tabs. Then, ideally, you could export your setup to import into other saves or make available online for others to use.

And finally as a coup de grace, the most popular 5 of these could be incorporated into the stock game as options.

It would definitely improve current state but in the end I believe the whole part list needs complete overhaul. Perhaps a filtering system similar to how science archives are made where I can set up filters by a few clicks and what appears is a list of parts matching these filters. Plus a favorites part where I can put things I want to see all the time such as struts or fuel pipes.

I was getting tempted to post this myself actually...

Hrm, actually, shouldn't be too hard to write a ModuleManager config for it... "if part uses or holds RCS and doesn't have crew capacity, set category to command"

I don't even know why they got moved from that tab. Unless we get Monoprop engines, there's no sense in putting them in the propulsion tab. Also, the Xenon tank and ion engine should get moved to propulsion.

Thinking about it, the whole tab system needs an overhaul. "Utility" is too general, "Science" is too specific, and "Propulsion" is overcrowded. We should be able to make drop-down menus and edit/create them. We should also be able to switch parts between those tabs. I know it might take a lot of work, but it would make building ships so much better.

I don't even know why they got moved from that tab. Unless we get Monoprop engines, there's no sense in putting them in the propulsion tab. Also, the Xenon tank and ion engine should get moved to propulsion.

Thinking about it, the whole tab system needs an overhaul. "Utility" is too general, "Science" is too specific, and "Propulsion" is overcrowded. We should be able to make drop-down menus and edit/create them. We should also be able to switch parts between those tabs. I know it might take a lot of work, but it would make building ships so much better.

If we're overhauling and not just making this small change, I would suggest being able to group parts by diameter.

I was getting tempted to post this myself actually...

Hrm, actually, shouldn't be too hard to write a ModuleManager config for it... "if part uses or holds RCS and doesn't have crew capacity, set category to command"

Indeed it's not. In fact, I've been using one for a few months now:

@PART[*]:HAS[@RESOURCE[MonoPropellant],!MODULE[ModuleCommand]]:Final
{
@category = Control
}

Also:

@PART[ionEngine]:Final
{
@category = Control
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@RESOURCE[XenonGas]]:Final
{
@category = Control
}

The xenon engines and tanks make more sense in the control tab. I have enough stuff in Utility.

Agreed. I can't think of a single good reason they'd be separated out into the propulsion tab.

@PART
[*]:HAS[@RESOURCE[MonoPropellant],!MODULE[ModuleCommand]]:Final
{
@category = Control
}
@PART[ionEngine]:Final
{
@category = Control
}
@PART
[*]:HAS[@RESOURCE[XenonGas]]:Final
{
@category = Control
}

I'd like to nick these. You, sir, have +1 reputation as payment.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.