DarkMultiPlayer 0.3.8.0 [KSP 1.12.0]

godarklight

@Dr. Death: Subspaces are a bit confusing at first, but they are just about the only way to do multiplayer and enable warping. I also support master controlled warp (although I haven't looked at it in months), it's generally a pain as you can't warp unless the majority agrees with you.

I think what I'm trying to say is, "Multiple realms" per player is the entire idea of KMP / DMP. "It's not a bug, it's a feature".

I've always generally been a co-op player, so I haven't put effort into any PvP stuff, nor will I ;). There's a big problem with the way DMP works and weapon mods though - DMP does not send full part updates for other players, so you can't actually shoot each other down. The reason for this is simple: "Spectator: I saw you crash into the ground while landing!" "Pilot: No I didn't!" <- Which one is correct.

Kerbinside: Probably works. I wouldn't be all that surprised, most mods work fairly well in DMP.

Load distance: DMP tip toes around that one, so any load range bumping mod should work fine - It's a 10 minute mod for anyone willing to try.

@inigma: Wait, a load bumping mod doesn't exist? I might make one if people ask. I'm serious about the whole 10 minute mod thing.

@dxdt: I didn't take offence, hence the wink - You're right though, I have been promising groups / vessel permissions / shared science for a while, and I thought the months I had were enough time. This wasn't the case - other things kept taking priority.

@MK3424/Atheu/Duke23: That is almost certainly an issue with input locks (Alt+F12 -> Show Input Locks), and it's almost certainly an issue with KSP's faulty handling of "applicationLock*". I'll poke this one in a sec, It would be a 5 minute fix if I'm correct ;)

@Tery215: There's already quite a few http://d-mp.org/?p=slist

@Preliator: I'm actually completely unfamiliar with RockyTV's plugin autoupdater - But I see what you mean, the link just relinks back to the download page. I'll get onto VITAS about that one - he's running d-mp.org.

@Everyone: Actually - It was my faulty handling of input locks. Release 0.1.6.1 is available that fixes that issue ;).

Edited by godarklight

You see, the first idea is the basic one, to make everything just 1 simple universe, of course, there would be a lot of syncing issues mostly inside the atmosphere. The fact that instead of duping ships for each player inside the physics loading range now everything might be handled server-side.

However, i had an idea about how to do on-rails warp.

How about, as long as you are on rails warp, you "teleport"?

When you are at X1 speed, everything is synced, but when you warp, no matter how much, faster than x1, your ships desync from the main server universe, and every time you go back to x1 warp everything syncs back again. The other players would see the player either dissapearing or just going at a time warp speed through the map, and when the warping player goes back to x1 speed, the other players will see the ship where it is after the time warp.

Basically, the ships and the server syncs every time you go back to warp x1.

Of course, i have no experience with the engine and i have no idea if its possible.

@Preliator: I'm actually completely unfamiliar with RockyTV's plugin autoupdater - But I see what you mean, the link just relinks back to the download page. I'll get onto VITAS about that one - he's running d-mp.org.

@Everyone: Actually - It was my faulty handling of input locks. Release 0.1.6.1 is available that fixes that issue ;).

Thank you! now work perfectly :D Edited by Preliator

@Dr. Death: I was referring to master controlled warp (MCW_VOTE), I haven't tried it for ages but it does away with the whole 'sync' thing:

. It was the first warp mode I implemented, and I haven't touched it since. It's pre-v0.1.0.0, so it's been there forever in DMPServerSettings.txt (warpmode).

"inside the physics loading range now everything might be handled server-side" - Totally not going to happen, DMPServer won't ever simulate physics - it's only a message relay ;).

In a hypothetical multiplayer mod that did server side physics, I'd see no option but to keep a KSP game running as the server - Minecraft "Open to LAN" style.

If you're not yet familiar with the warp system, you'll likely want to try DMP out - You'll understand pretty quickly why players can (and should) be allowed in different times. Updates from the past & present are applied, updates from the future are held until they are needed (this is also called a memory leak for everyone not in the latest subspace :P). SUBSPACE causes some unsolveable paradoxes, but it's well worth it because players can warp at will.

@Enthalpy: If you don't have the flag, DMP will reassign it to the default flag. Unless it's in DarkMultiPlayer/Flags/, at which point all flags are synced from and two the server - nobody uses this feature though :).

So wait, does this mean that if i have my flag in my DMP flag folder, then send it to my friend, and he puts it in HIS dmp flag folder, then we can see the flag, or does the flag ALSO have to be put serverside?

tl;dr does flag need be in serverside files

Edited by Enthalpy

Yesterday I lost power, followed by a loud "bang". About 12 hours ago we got power back, kind of: We've had a brownout the whole night (130v).

When we get 240v back (and when I'm home from work) I'll be brave enough to plug in my server computer, and then I'll upload DMPServer to KerbalStuff.

Thanks to inigma and vitas for mirroring DMP :)

EDIT: And we're back!

EDIT 2: d-mp.org download links added, and DMPServer is now available on KerbalStuff.

Edited by godarklight

My friend is getting the error "The machine you are trying to connect to is actively refusing the connection". It worked the other day over LAN but now we can't get it working with my WAN ip. I have it port forwarded and the firewalls are all off, still nothing. Anyone have a fix?

Edit: Nvm I sent him our server files and his works fine, my router must be stupid I guess >.<

Edited by Keudn

@Dr. Death: I was referring to master controlled warp (MCW_VOTE), I haven't tried it for ages but it does away with the whole 'sync' thing:
. It was the first warp mode I implemented, and I haven't touched it since. It's pre-v0.1.0.0, so it's been there forever in DMPServerSettings.txt (warpmode).

"inside the physics loading range now everything might be handled server-side" - Totally not going to happen, DMPServer won't ever simulate physics - it's only a message relay ;).

In a hypothetical multiplayer mod that did server side physics, I'd see no option but to keep a KSP game running as the server - Minecraft "Open to LAN" style.

If you're not yet familiar with the warp system, you'll likely want to try DMP out - You'll understand pretty quickly why players can (and should) be allowed in different times. Updates from the past & present are applied, updates from the future are held until they are needed (this is also called a memory leak for everyone not in the latest subspace :P). SUBSPACE causes some unsolveable paradoxes, but it's well worth it because players can warp at will.

No offense, but i dont like to try DMP when i have a bazillion mods for KSP. However, my main concern was about the "realms" Mostly because i thought about the idea of using say, skilful, or BDA plus the DMP for combat, but if for each person every ship has its own status (say, i destroy the aircraft of my friend, and i see it go down, but in my friend's ksp he is still flying) Then that's gonna make hard for me to do exactly that. Of course, i have no doubt there may be a solution sometime in the future, but since that's most of what i would want to do with a MP KSP mod, i would think it may be my biggest concern with it. (if the problem can be fixed at all)

No offense, but i dont like to try DMP when i have a bazillion mods for KSP. However, my main concern was about the "realms" Mostly because i thought about the idea of using say, skilful, or BDA plus the DMP for combat, but if for each person every ship has its own status (say, i destroy the aircraft of my friend, and i see it go down, but in my friend's ksp he is still flying) Then that's gonna make hard for me to do exactly that. Of course, i have no doubt there may be a solution sometime in the future, but since that's most of what i would want to do with a MP KSP mod, i would think it may be my biggest concern with it. (if the problem can be fixed at all)

DMP works flawlessy with most of the mods you can put on your game.

If you use DMP + BDArmory some strange things can happen, but now with the better flight it's simply beautiful.

Will upload a video about some tests I made pretty soon.

Anyway, you should try it, warping in multiplayer was proven to not be nearly the monster people thought it would be.

It's actually super simple.

Edited by tetryds

Well, i may try with a friend to get the game with as less mods as possible besides BDA and FAR or something (i still wont trust all of my mods to work on any server) to see in the future. However, using combat mods, the thing about having your own ship still works when the other players sees it destroyed will be a main problem.

Well, i may try with a friend to get the game with as less mods as possible besides BDA and FAR or something (i still wont trust all of my mods to work on any server) to see in the future. However, using combat mods, the thing about having your own ship still works when the other players sees it destroyed will be a main problem.

This problem is not a DMP issue, but the fact that the combat mod does not have some special code for when you cause damage on your friends.

Now we just have to wait until either BahamutoD or InfiniteDice add the needed support as it was mentioned on the devnotes that it has initial support for other mods to send data through DMP.

I find it awesome to be able to hit friends with missiles nevertheless.

@DuoDex: You're almost certainly incorrect, anything from 1025-65565 should be fine, so long as it's not in use.

1-1024 need admin/root rights to use.

Tetryds: I'd need to work with them to sort it out correctly - even though it's possible to send data over DMP now, I haven't written a public domain reflector, and I'll need to flesh it out a little more.

@DuoDex: You're almost certainly incorrect, anything from 1025-65565 should be fine, so long as it's not in use.

1-1024 need admin/root rights to use.

Tetryds: I'd need to work with them to sort it out correctly - even though it's possible to send data over DMP now, I haven't written a public domain reflector, and I'll need to flesh it out a little more.

No worries, there are already lots of epic things that can be done with it as it is now:

s6GbQ5j.jpg

The ping between us was around 180ms.

Gratz, your netcode rocks.

This problem is not a DMP issue, but the fact that the combat mod does not have some special code for when you cause damage on your friends.

Now we just have to wait until either BahamutoD or InfiniteDice add the needed support as it was mentioned on the devnotes that it has initial support for other mods to send data through DMP.

I find it awesome to be able to hit friends with missiles nevertheless.

thanks for the info, but can you enlight me on why is it a mod issue for each player to have its own realm of their own space ships?

thanks for the info, but can you enlight me on why is it a mod issue for each player to have its own realm of their own space ships?

There is no special code for weapons to work with multiplayer yet.

Both can see the fired missiles but they often don't really destroy their targets.

I am not the one who said that it has to be done by the modders themselves, but each mod may need to pass a different kind of information through the server.

So it's logical that the modder should support DMP by managing the data to be sent through the server.

If that is not what you asked, I don't really understand.

You can have your bases and airplanes and dogfight, all that.

What you can't do is have the weapons mods to be consistent and cause damage to your friends.

There is no special code for weapons to work with multiplayer yet.

Both can see the fired missiles but they often don't really destroy their targets.

I am not the one who said that it has to be done by the modders themselves, but each mod may need to pass a different kind of information through the server.

So it's logical that the modder should support DMP by managing the data to be sent through the server.

If that is not what you asked, I don't really understand.

You can have your bases and airplanes and dogfight, all that.

What you can't do is have the weapons mods to be consistent and cause damage to your friends.

i think i do get it, however i dont find fun to try and blow each other to pieces if.... well, we cant blow each other to pieces.

i think i do get it, however i dont find fun to try and blow each other to pieces if.... well, we cant blow each other to pieces.

We will be able to do that soon, we just have to wait for the weapons mods to add the code to make it work well on DMP :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.