DarkMultiPlayer 0.3.8.0 [KSP 1.12.0]

godarklight

Hey guys, getting an issue: when disconnecting and reconnecting, the server doesn't remember 'when' I am. When I've reconnected I find I've missed a maneuver node by 100 days or more... it's kinda annoying for bigger missions.

@StrahmDude: On what server? - I believe josh had an error on his and decided to restart it, the development version has a bugfix related to this.

I'd need more information though to give you a more correct answer, such as the server log.

@longbyte1: (auto-)dekessler *only* deletes debris, and nukeksc is disabled by default.

@TurielD: This is related to how subspaces work on DMP - DMP sends you to the latest 'time' as it only saves the latest state. If a player warped 100 days and left, you'd be 100 days in the future ;).

Hi, How do i add mods to my server ?

quote from the past:

3b) The plugins folder is the DMPServer equivalent of KSP's GameData/ folder, it's for DMPServer mods/plugins. Currently the only plugins available are the DarkChat IRC connector, and the public server list reporter (and development reporter)

The plugins folder is not for KSP mods.

----------------------------------------

We here have now a FATAL DESASTER:

Connection ended: Unhandled error while syncing!

I logged out to assamble and test a rocket in sandbox-mode.

I copied the craft-file to tthe VAB-folder in DMP-save.

Then the error appeared.

I deleted persistent.sfs and the cache, also reinstalled a plain DMP-client

(with existing publickey/privatekey/server.xml)

I logged in with a new user, connect -> disconnect -> connect -> error.

(No actions, just connect/disconnect/reconnect.)

I googled around, also searched forum, the less i found didnt help.

After 20 hours "maintenance" i ran out of ideas. Any experiences/help/tips/avoidings?

(Kill the universe/server or restart would be bad after around 90 days of building up

all the stations/vessels/outposts. Do we really have to climb up the career-ladder again?)

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Jansn

@Andy024: The easiest way is to just auto generate a DMPModControl file by starting the client, clicking on Generate blacklist dmpmodcontrol and moving it from the ksp folder to the server folder.

@Jansn: I ran into this on josh's server, it's caused by strange things happening with the vessel files (it might be a mod doing it maybe)?. The development version will warn you which files cause problems when somebody connects, just copy the universe folder to a dev server and remove the bad entries ;)

@TurielD: This is related to how subspaces work on DMP - DMP sends you to the latest 'time' as it only saves the latest state. If a player warped 100 days and left, you'd be 100 days in the future ;).

I wish it wouldn't tbh, that it would let me decide when to sync. Especially if we're gonna use something like Life Support systems someone warping forward to a transfer window can be a bit tricky...

Kinda means you can't log off while your ship is in a transfer, or it's likely to miss its maneuvers. Especially troublesome if you're trying to do anything complex together like meeting at a planet.

Are there any plans to fix 2 rather annoying bugs:

Docking to a controlled vessel = kraken meal.

Typing and if someone joins/unjoins the text defocuses and often leads to accidental staging/throttling/whatnot and messing up many things. heck, ive actually destroyed massive cool stations when i accidentally staged a MISSILE and happened to be pointed at the station. I had to move the staging button to something i dont use while typing to people, now i wont vaporize anyone's hard work by accident :(

itd be really nice to help fix teh lag as well, but its not that big an issue provided you dont have above 4 players synced to each other simultaneously.....

Finally, while this is still early, i recommend adding some security to the plugin ect. While i dont actually do this myself (tested it at best), it is very easy to say enable mods on servers that have them disabled, i wont say how (as i dont wanna give anyone any ideas), but i will say its not exactly difficult to have say MJ, or ModuleManager, or for that matter change stock part files to have different ISP/thrust, ect. While its again, low priority, i reccomend at least in the long term looking into CRC checking or something to make sure files are indeed identical between server and client. In pure snadbox mode, this is actually not an issue (as there is no competition/combat ect), but i will say, once stuff like combat mods become popular enough, this needs to be implemented to a certain extent to level the playing field (at the bare minimum on weapon properties, we dont want anyone making a gun be instakill).

Edited by panzer1b

@TurielD: What your asking for is a little overcomplicated - Allowing people to sync into any time (correctly) would require the server persisting old states, which isn't a path I want to go down - You'd need to make 5 trips to the database per player per second and have an ever expanding database for such a small feature :-/. It would also make the initial sync worse (you'd need to sync the *entire* history).

@panzer1b: Dockings have been pretty hit and miss for a while, it's just not completely clear what causes them to glitch out. I've got some ideas to try though :)

Compression will likely help with the lag, other than that, there's not much I can do about speed of light delays.

You obviously mean this - and it's not really possible so long as DMP remains an open source thing (and while I'm working on it, it always will be - I'm no long in a position to change the licence again anyway, MIT is perfect). For example, asking for random offsets / lengths and calculating the SHA sum of the files is easy to defeat and would require the whole GameData directory be available to DMPServer - Just point the client at an unused "safe" GameData directory.

There's certainly things we can do to make it *harder*, but it's again not a path I want to walk down, dev clients now ignore damaged protovessels (or protovessels with banned or missing parts). They also PM the server about them.

Edited by godarklight

@Jansn: I ran into this on josh's server, it's caused by strange things happening with the vessel files

(it might be a mod doing it maybe)?. The development version will warn you which files cause problems

when somebody connects, just copy the universe folder to a dev server and remove the bad entries.

Well,

(maybe some interesting informations for modders/developers/users)

after some more hours of "sniffing" the actual status quo:

- *Shame* on us, we play on Linux-DMP-Server by "dsonbill"

- Sooo, i set up "mono" on my remote linux-box to start original DMP-server

- Copied the /Player- and /Universe-folder to that places

- Original-DMP-Server reported all vessel-files are damaged

(maybe the vessel-files are not compatible between mono- and native linux-version?)

- Moved Player/Universe-folders away from Linux-DMP-server-folder and started from scratch

- Result: in folder /Universe/Players the server generates .txt-files for some (not all) Modifications

- There is an TSTxxxx.txt-file generated from/for the "TarsierSpaceTechnology"-mod.

- Deleting this file let me login again, bypassing "vessel sync error"!

- File will be generated again, error re-appears

- I login to linux-box and delete file as an actual workaround

Meanwhile everything beside that runs very fine… !

- In the release-thread of "TarsierSpaceTech" (december 4th, page 38, post 372)

was posted a "-fix recompile 4.5c-patch1" (Galaxy-fix?), i will try/test this tonight

if error-behavior still exist, and drop a short msg later.

So, stay tuned for the next episode Kerbal of Interest.

@Jansn: I develop on Linux, the fact that it runs on windows is a handy co-incidence (So there's no shame there).

I know about the TarsierSpaceTech bug, someone reported problems logging into their server and that was what caused it, the development version of the server has an explicit fix for this. But the vessels shouldn't be getting all reported as damaged, perhaps I've messed something up :-/

GoDarkLight: may i ask you if "dsonbill" is part of your coding-team, or is he fully independent?

Also nice to hear, that YOU hack and code onto linux ;-) and nice too, that my problem was NOT

a prob of DMP..

In the release-thread of "TarsierSpaceTech" (december 4th, page 38, post 372)

was posted a "-fix recompile 4.5c-patch1" (Galaxy-fix?), i will try/test this tonight

if error-behavior still exist, and drop a short msg later.

After (short) tests it seems to work now here, the "4.5c-patch1 recompile" of "TarsierSpaceTech"

dont throw back a "vessel sync error" anymore after 3 logout/logins.

So it seems a good idea to check through that .txt-files in ../Universe/Scenario/*Playername*-folder

(if somebody other fight against "vessel sync errors").

GoDarkLight: Thank you very much for the tip and for your ongoing (and daily) caring of your project

AND this thread here.

So long.. from Austria..

.. and look forward for "Beta than EVA" *g*

Edited by Jansn

- I open 2 Terminals and connect to bash at my remote-Debian 6-vServer

- in one terminal i start "DMPServer.exe"

- in second i do a "ps -all" to watch running processes and see the running dmpserver.exe

- on close the first window -> process DMPServer.exe will be stopped/killed

Why that? How to keep the (mono-)dmpserver.exe running? Cron/Anacron???

DMP v1.6.2 is not compatible with KSP v0.90 ... yet!

We are hard at work building a working Version.

So until we have a one please make sure you got a Backup of 0.25 before updating.

NOTE: yes it is not compatible. if you don't trust VITAS enough, you should trust me. I'm one of the top contributors for DMP.

Edited by RockyTV

@TurielD: What your asking for is a little overcomplicated - Allowing people to sync into any time (correctly) would require the server persisting old states, which isn't a path I want to go down - You'd need to make 5 trips to the database per player per second and have an ever expanding database for such a small feature :-/. It would also make the initial sync worse (you'd need to sync the *entire* history).

Hmm I see, don't want to load up the servers indeed.

As I understand it, players are tracked with a particular ID, would it be a workaround for servers to make a quicksave at the point of their disconnecting and link that to the UserID? Then there would be only a single possible sync time for someone joining (their own last recorded time), and that could be compared to the current persistents to determine if any of the vessels had changed in the future to disallow interaction.

Semi-related issue:

There are 2 players; Player A timewarps a few months, Player B wants to sync, but Player A disconnects before they get the chance. The 'sync' option is now gone... Could it remain on a dummy 'player A' at least until player B has caught up?

DMP v1.6.2 is not compatible with KSP v0.90 ... yet!

We are hard at work building a working Version.

So until we have a one please make sure you got a Backup of 0.25 before updating.

Good luck guys!

Hi,

i know 0.90 is all the rage today.

But right before it stopped all work in its tracks i did some progress on the upcoming Webpage update:

newwebpage3s.jpg

Each Server will have its own Detail Page showing even more detailed Information, than the In-Row Information inside the Serverlist Table (Take a look at my earlier Posts for Screenshots of the Serverlist).

Part of the Server Detail Pages will be some Charts like the Playercount in the Screenshot above (click the Image for a larger Version).

I hope this will enable Server Admins and Players alike to find the peak Times.

VITAS

@Everyone, Well, KSP 0.90 dropped. I've done the port to 0.90 in dev, It hasn't had a great deal of testing but it *should* work :)

To get it, try the development build on my build server, or use DMPUpdater-development. If you run into any issues, please come visit us on IRC or report them on the github issue tracker - I'm still hoping for a christmas release here...

EDIT (Added this to OP):

0.90 NOTE

Release is not yet compatible with 0.90, use the development version instead.

BCSpazer has upgraded SpazerStock01 and SpazerStock02 (kerbalspace.spazer.net ports 3416 and 3417) to the development version for those that want to play 0.90.

Josh has also switched one of his servers over to dev: ksp.joshgates.net port 6702.

@RockyTV/VITAS: Thanks :)

@Jansn: dsonbill hooked up the server admin console to the chat window - So yes he is a contributor. If you have problems with the script you might want to ask him specifically though, I think most people just normally just run DMPServer in a screen manually.

@TurielD: Putting players into limbo isn't a bad idea, so long as I make the client try to auto-reconnect (and they never leave back to the main menu screen). There would be a timeout on this however, and it involves a few logic changes, so I'll hold off on this one.

Edited by godarklight

@Everyone, Well, KSP 0.90 dropped. I've done the port to 0.90 in dev, It hasn't had a great deal of testing but it *should* work :)

To get it, try the development build on my build server, or use DMPUpdater-development. If you run into any issues, please come visit us on IRC or report them on the github issue tracker - I'm still hoping for a christmas release here...

Hi there, as I previously asked about the 'revert' feature that was in the mod in a previous version, it would be greatly appreciated if this option is introduced in the 0.90 compatible version of your mod. I know you said you have to fix the code and what-not, however if you have not done so, could you please add it back how it use to be in the older version and have it disabled by default in the server-configuration file and allow people to turn it on themselves knowing the consequences. Personally I only ever had 1 or 2 issues with my friends and it was not troublesome to fix.

Thanks very much!

(If this is already in the dev version I'm sorry but I have yet to try out the dev mod)

And it only took heaps of asking :D

It's not going to be possible to sync into a previous subspace on the server, there's just *way* too much info to store, but client side this should be ok.

That's really awesome, and I love the effort you put into this mod. Just asking, does this also support clicking Revert to launch or assembly in the esc menu?

Thanks very much!

And it only took heaps of asking :D

It's not going to be possible to sync into a previous subspace on the server, there's just *way* too much info to store, but client side this should be ok.

Wow that's really cool! Sounds extremely heavy on the data-load though. Plus, aren't those vessels that have been 'saved' now non-interactable because they're different in the future/present?

Might it not be simpler to forget about the intermediate updates, and have you exist in subspace with the start-state until you sync up with the present-state? Then the server would only need to pay attention to your controlled craft [disable leaving the craft until you've either crashed, reverted again, or synced].

@TJ888: Yes - all the revert stuff should be back, but in subspace mode only.

@TurielD: It doesn't use any extra data (as in bandwidth) at all, it only uses extra memory. A good guesstimate is how much is stored is the incoming traffic you receive - We'll have to figure out how to garbage collect this stuff so we can drop the updates before the last quicksave, but for now reverting is back at the cost of RAM (which can be disabled, as noted in the video).

@X.C.M: That's the last feature I really want (It's actually shared scenario modules, which are the generic way to store data), along with vessel permissions. I'll get there :)

Fantastic mod, works flawlessly on stock and with many mods. One issue I have been having though is I get an error about Procedural Parts and Realism Overhaul. I've searched for solutions to the issue in each mods thread and here as well but have found nothing. I tried to add the parts to the DMPModControl.txt and that didn't fix it either.

Once again, thank you so much for making this it has brought many hours of entertainment to me and my brother and I would appreciate any assistance fixing this small issue. If you need any more info from me feel free to ask (logs, mod list, etc.)

Regards,

James

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.