Look at Earth from space 24/7

The new HDEV system on the ISS is now operational! You can watch Earth from space now on the 4 HD webcams they launched to the ISS on the last Dragon flight of April 18.

http://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/HDEV/

Note that the screen is black when the ISS is in its orbital night which last for 40 minutes but that also means you can see the sun rise every 40 minutes!

Edited by cypher_00

Of course, every time I look it's a grey screen.

Hmm grey should mean they are just switching camera's.. if is is grey all the time something must be wrong.

Sunrise is just starting now so go look now!!

Finally loaded it at a time when it's working. Pretty sweet.

They really need to cut down the exposure on a couple of those cameras though.

I *might* play too much KSP: when I saw the the "dark side of the earth" wasn't really near the position of the ISS I immediately tough: "let's just time warp" :(

EDIT: Why is there a white stage-like drawing and a yellow fairng-like drawing near the ISS?Ç

The white drawing has "+1,5 h" while the yellow one has"-1,5" on it. Are they debris?

Edited by goldenpeach

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I changed the link in the original post because the map is really useful.

Yesterday when I was watching the ISS flying right over the west coast of South America, it was really cool seeing all those clouds inland and hugging the Andes and then that dry strip of desert between that and the sea. Really stunning..

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.