How about speedruns?!?

A Pig that flys

Really? Why did you posted that crap? You think you "showed me"?

My record is the fastest time to build a rocket, land on the mun and return to kerbin in real time, not game time. Look again, my video is not speed up, it's what I was seeing on my screen, in real time.

What are we supposed to see in your video? Some infinite fuel cheater that also speed up the video.

EDIT: If it isn't clear for anyone. He can post whatever crap he wants, but my reaction was related to him quoting me and saying "Nope.".

Edited by Aphobius

My record is the fastest time to build a rocket, land on the mun and return to kerbin in real time...

But you didn't do it in real time, you did it with time compression. What was your MET?

I've seen a video of Kerbin to Mun and back in less than an hour. It was a while back, but I recall that it used a lot of SRBs.

*sigh* Just use Hyperedit next time :P Speedrunning...where this world goes? Young whippersnappers whizzing around in their fancy rockets. No respect for space and distance...grumblegrumblegrumble.

Another one ...

Speed run = you start a timer, you do stuff, you stop the timer

That's what I did. I started the timer, I built a rocket, landed on the mun, returned to kerbin, stopped the timer. It took me 2 minutes and 8 second. Is it really that hard to understand this from the video? Do I really have to explain it?

If you want game time record, I also have the record for the fastest time to the mun

EDIT: The 34 minutes video is from the last patch. I was thinking about doing it again with the new parts and also return. I'm pretty sure I can do it in under 45 minutes. But I find this speed running thing more interesting, it takes much more skill than building a huge rocket and watch the game running in slow motion for 30 minutes.

Edited by Aphobius

But you didn't do it in real time, you did it with time compression. What was your MET?

I've seen a video of Kerbin to Mun and back in less than an hour. It was a while back, but I recall that it used a lot of SRBs.

Irrelevant, since Aphobius wasn't targeting or claiming the MET record, but the "wall clock" record. Which is the normal one used in the context of speedrunning.

How very unimpressive of a concept. What's the point in a competition to see who can use time compression the most?

How very unimpressive to be a fail troll that doesn't add anything to the topic.

The OP asked about speed runs, I've posted exactly that, a speed run video. And if you think it's unimpressive I wait for your entry on the challenges forum, you've got the link in the description of my video.

EDIT: I had that speed run record before the patch too, it was 2:50 with the old parts, it took me only 30 minutes or so to get this new time, so there is a lot of place to improve it, I guess the perfect run with my procedure would be around 1:50. So if anyone wanna try it, I would enjoy some competition. :)

Edited by Aphobius

i have no clue what all of you are arguing about, but Speedrunning involves completing an objective in the shortest time possible. Most games use real time clocks, which you can time by programs such as WSplit or Live Split, and others use in game clocks to prevent saving huge chunks of time which can put a bad run in front of a good one.

What's the problem? My time warp is easier to stop than yours?

EDIT: It's decided by everything, I honestly think it would be easier for you to learn how to stop the time warp than how to do the rest of the things properly.

EDIT 2: The biggest skill required for what I've done in my video is the building of the rocket. Other things are moderately easy to learn and execute.

But building the rocket is based on your reaction time and precision. If you train a long period of time, eventually you'll hit a wall and you'll not be able to improve your build time.

For example I do it in 20 seconds, but I'm sure some korean starcraft player could do it faster, maybe even 10 seconds.

Edited by Aphobius

You want speed run? I'd call two ships darn fast.

Nice video, I didn't had the patience to watch all of it, but it looks nice. Anyway, it doesn't seem suitable for a speed run.

I've remembered about other video of mine, that could also become a speed run.

I launch, rendezvous and dock (to a station in 100km orbit) in 5 minutes. The challenge was about the game time, but probably would work with time warp too or for this one we could disallow time warp, but the game time is still not a good indicator, since some people could lag the game on purpose to make the rocket easier to control.

Ah, guys...simmer down please. You've already brought admin attention to this thread. Also please remember that there is nothing to win in argument about valid method of "speedrunning" the game.

Well, I guess if they wanted to get really technical and semi-friendly with it, they could start discussing certain routes and stuff...ya...like build a ship and get to minmus and back. Or Pre-made ship to Jule...IDK, just thought it would be a fun idea :D

Frankly, i do not understand this whole idea. Most efficient transfer - yes. Fastest interplanetary transfer using fancy gravity slingshot - sure, that is interesting. I did couple of launches of rockets that were mostly fuel, with a lot of intricate stages - so i could shed mass immediately and keep accelerating. Goal was to see how fast i could make final stage go after fuel runs out. But whats the point of going to the Mun and back in 10 minutes of real time?

When I have time I can try to make a thread in the challenges forum, with a list of speedruns, with instructions, leaderboard etc. for each of them.

But people usually don't participate in this kind of challenges, one of the biggest problems being that they require a video. I guess the actual problem is not the video itself, but that they are not allowed to quicksave/quickload.

Frankly, i do not understand this whole idea. Most efficient transfer - yes. Fastest interplanetary transfer using fancy gravity slingshot - sure, that is interesting. I did couple of launches of rockets that were mostly fuel, with a lot of intricate stages - so i could shed mass immediately and keep accelerating. Goal was to see how fast i could make final stage go after fuel runs out. But whats the point of going to the Mun and back in 10 minutes of real time?

The point of going to the Mun and back in 10 minutes is to make you look like a noob, since it can be done in 2 minutes.

What's the point of Formula 1? You have to do things fast in a short amount of time, some people are better, some people are worse, so speedrunning makes a good competition.

EDIT: Speedrunning in kerbal allows for great creativity, but there is a small problem with people being able to copy what you do. For example anyone can copy the procedure from my 2 minutes Mun video. But I'm sure that very few people could have invented that procedure or a better one by themselves. Procedure meaning the design of the ship, the maneuvers, the time warping etc.

Edited by Aphobius

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.