Is it just me? Or anyone else do this?

MGCJerry

I find I enjoy reading about KSP and seeing what everyone else is doing with it, more than playing it myself... I could read the forums for hours, then decide to play KSP, do a launch, or a few "experiments" then quit. In and out in 30 minutes. Maybe I've reached a brick wall with my skill, or lack thereof, and lack of patience to try hitting anything outside of Kerbin SOI. I just recently landed my first lander on minmus, which my over-engineered mun rocket made it to minmus.

This has been my trend for the last couple months, which makes me wonder... Who else lurks on the forums more than actually pointing the correct end toward space in ksp themselves?

I have hit a wall a few times, but after short breaks I seemingly improve at what ever I was stuck. Last one was getting a ship to dock with another, I could get close enough but never knew what to do at that point. I took a break from doing it for about a week launched a mission and like magic it just happened, and now I can do it without much though. I think it is a fresh perspective of the problem without the lingering reminders of failures still fresh in my mind that helped get me through. As far as reading the forums while a mission is in progress I doubt I could as I have that nagging feeling that something bad is happening if I am not looking at the screen, much like what happened while letting the game run one night while I slept (Kraken ate my first Duna mission while I slept).

I'm at the same stage. Lurking in forum, reading mission reports - waiting for next flash of inspiration to push my stalling space program forward. I have little motivation to play KSP now, when 0.24 is already in experimentals. When it will come out, i'll start new save anyway.

As an add-on author, I spend most of KSP-related time maintaining my part packs, checking dependencies for incompatibilities, updating the documentation and FAQs frequently, as well as actually working on updates with whatever little time remains.

'tis the reason I've never ventured beyond the Mun since I first started playing in 0.19.

I've been there before. I think I just burned myself out playing too much KSP on a daily basis. After a week or so my interest came back; it seems to be a thing that waxes and wanes periodically. So maybe you're just in a lull and will go back to intense epic ship-building / crashing in a few days.

I have to take breaks from KSP every now and then. Sometimes the breaks are because I just need a beak, other times life forces me to. The last break even kept me away from the forums. There is nothing like a trying RSS to get me back into it.

I kinda burnt myself out after I landed (not necessarily manned) everywhere sans moho & eeloo (and lonely dres, which I've only ever flown by), and built a kethane base on the mun and a half dozen stations. Maybe its time to look at a life support mod.

Good idea. Currently my main activity in KSP is building (slowly) a huge space station in LKO. I use TAC Life Support, and am trying to build a closed loop of resources on board. This way it should be possible to keep it there indefinitely, without need to send resupply missions. Interplanetary missions are a challenge too with life support. I had to skip Duna launch window, because i did not had a manned ship with necessary supplies for manned mission.

I've always been there. I have around 150 hours played but everything in the game is super easy for me. I did a super asparaguss staging mission for Duna, Went to Dres with a huge rocket, haven't tried Eve yet because I'm lazy. Spaceplanes and SSTOs are super easy for me and docking is just second nature for me. All that with 150 hours actually played. And most of that is afk-ing. I don't know if I'm a wizard or anything but that's how it is: I watch youtube videos and the forums and I actually play KSP time per weeks and it's mostly building useless cars or overbuilt rockets for the Mun because I have nothing else to do. Maybe when proper "career" mode gets added I'll come back to actually playing the game but right now I've hit a wall.

I'm half and half on this one. I consider it fun to get inspiration from the forums and generally have KSP running in the background. I like to talk about science stuff (though my knowledge is limited). Just wish people wouldn't get so childish when I make a mistake or two. But, such is a game forum.

I browse more than I play, but that's mostly because the only playing I do is "on camera" or getting ready for the "camera." I like the game too much to restrict it to that but the time I can actually play and record is limited, so the forums and watching others' videos is a great panacea.

I find myself reading the forums and watching YouTube more than playing, but that's more because I have a small child than anything else. I've also been doing a lot of programming and tweaking engines for RSS in the time I do have, so launches are rare.

I do tend to get lost in the forums a good bit when playing... Or at work when I can't play, haha. I've kicked myself a couple times for that one. Something happens in the game and I have to come here and post a screenshot or 10 instead of continuing the game lol.

It's also good for my inspiration. When I get frustrated because I'm stuck or just bored that I haven't come up with something new in a while, many times I can come here and see what other people are doing and it gives me some new ideas. I don't copy other people's designs and I've never used someone else's .craft aside from the performance test rocket but sometimes just seeing something that I didn't think of can make a big light flip on in my head.

I enjoy playing KSP in short bursts, doing one mission or preforming one docking and then calling it quits for the day. Mostly because the FPS drops into the negative after half an hour of playing it.

I've never used someone else's .craft aside from the performance test rocket but sometimes just seeing something that I didn't think of can make a big light flip on in my head.

I'm the opposite in that regard. I love grabbing new craft files and tweaking/experimenting with them. :)

I'm the opposite in that regard. I love grabbing new craft files and tweaking/experimenting with them. :)

Nothing wrong with that of course. To me though half of my feeling of accomplishment in the game is that something *I* built from the ground up actually worked (or failed in a hilarious way). Not to say I never will grab a file to play with, I just haven't yet... There are people here who are infinitely better than me at designing ships with aesthetics in mind, mine are usually geared towards functionality with minor attention to the looks.

I've definitely been browsing the forums more than playing. It just takes so much less time to read a mission than performing one. I haven't played much since .22 when I was going to try to land on each body and return starting from Moho and working my way out. Did Moho, but got stuck at Eve, and the time it takes me to test a ship on Kerbin to the point I think it'll work on Eve, then send it to Eve only to have it not work is very discouraging. I try it again every once in a while, but not like I used to and I like to build my own ships without using someone else's.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.