[0.90] TweakScale - Rescale Everything! (v1.50 - 2014-12-24 10:40 UTC)

Biotronic

Ahh man. I spent a half hour fixing the Karbonite tweakscale today and was gonna post it here. :)

Nice work.

Question though. Is there a way to change the default scaling to be squared instead of cubed?

Guess I'm a bit confused on the way it is actually scaled. If I take a 1.25m part and make it 2.5m it appears to be making it 4 times the size (as far as mass and such goes). If say I wanted to make that 3 times what would I need to change?

Ahh man. I spent a half hour fixing the Karbonite tweakscale today and was gonna post it here. :)

Nice work.

Question though. Is there a way to change the default scaling to be squared instead of cubed?

Guess I'm a bit confused on the way it is actually scaled. If I take a 1.25m part and make it 2.5m it appears to be making it 4 times the size (as far as mass and such goes). If say I wanted to make that 3 times what would I need to change?

In ScaleExponents.cfg, this piece:

TWEAKSCALEEXPONENTS
{
breakingForce = 2
breakingTorque = 2
buoyancy = 3
crashTolerance = 1
explosionPotential = 3
maxTemp = 1
mass = 3

Resources
{
!amount = 3
maxAmount = 3
}

attachNodes
{
breakingForce = 2
breakingTorque = 2
}
}

Defines how to scale all the things that are defined in a Part. To change how the mass is calculated, you change the line mass = 3 to mass = 2 (for scaling with the surface area).

This can also be done on a per-part basis:

MODULE
{
name = TweakScale
type = stack
SCALEEXPONENTS
{
mass = 2
}
}

Unrelated to your problems, I have now uploaded version 1.39. It fixes a problem with cost calculation for tanks that are not full.

I know this wasn't your problem to fix, but THANK YOU TONS for helping me figure out what was going on. KW Rocketry had like 3 files that for some reason would not merge when I installed them, so it duplicated multiple parts. Thanks a ton for pointing that out for me. :D

Ok, thought maybe it was that.

Can I change the ScaleExponents.cfg file using MM if I wanted to apply a change to everything?

I'm gonna go with no.

This *does* update the mass exponent, but will probably mess up anything that also has a mass field:

@TWEAKSCALEEXPONENTS[*]
{
@mass = 1
}

Granted, that's not gonna be a lot of things, so you're probably safe. I might add a name = Part to that in the future, in which case @TWEAKSCALEEXPONENTS[Part] should work, but seeing as how wanting to change everything is a rare case, I might not bother.

What you might have more success with, is making your own SCALETYPE:

SCALETYPE
{
name = Noris_scale
type = stack
SCALEEXPONENTS
{
mass = 2
}
}

And then use that in your parts:

MODULE
{
name = TweakScale
type = Noris_scale
}

I know this wasn't your problem to fix, but THANK YOU TONS for helping me figure out what was going on. KW Rocketry had like 3 files that for some reason would not merge when I installed them, so it duplicated multiple parts. Thanks a ton for pointing that out for me. :D

My pleasure.

Edited by Biotronic

Thanks a lot for this! My brain had somehow decided to ignore dtobi's post and not inform me. Now, the problem here seems to be that the part is available, but none of the sizes are, as they're all protected by a tech requirement that is not yet met.

That sort of error should however not cause undue trouble for the user, so code has been added to handle this case, and will be included in 1.38.

No problem at all. What's weird is that the original problem -- lag in the VAB -- was cured by an unrelated update to TweakScale. Bugging out crafts was new behavior :) Thanks and glad I could be of help!

Is this good to go on x64? I'm not seeing it show up under the right click menu in the VAB.

I've installed it properly (by moving the directory into Game Data). Installed the latest update for KSPAPIExtension.

Any more info I can provide to help you help me help you help me help you help me?

Tweakscale's karbonite settings are duplicating the tank settings in the karbonite release's tweakscale.cfg file:

[Warning]: [TweakScale Warning] Duplicate TweakScale module on part [KA.Tank.125.04] KB-4650 Karbonite Tank

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/87335-24-2-Karbonite-Ongoing-Dev-and-Discussion?p=1348100&viewfull=1#post1348100

Tweakscale's karbonite settings are duplicating the tank settings in the karbonite release's tweakscale.cfg file:

[Warning]: [TweakScale Warning] Duplicate TweakScale module on part [KA.Tank.125.04] KB-4650 Karbonite Tank

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/87335-24-2-Karbonite-Ongoing-Dev-and-Discussion?p=1348100&viewfull=1#post1348100

I think that you might possibly have two copies of the Karbonite TweakScale .cfg floating around.

There should be one in GameData/UmbraSpaceIndustries/Karbonite/TweakScale.cfg, and no other. Check that you haven't dropped a manual config file for Karbonite into the GameData/Tweakscale folder.

Is this good to go on x64? I'm not seeing it show up under the right click menu in the VAB.

I've installed it properly (by moving the directory into Game Data). Installed the latest update for KSPAPIExtension.

Any more info I can provide to help you help me help you help me help you help me?

That error is usually caused by an outdated KSPAPIExtensions.dll, as you say. Another cause may be Goodspeed Aerospace, which has the old Scale.dll in it.

If you have any of these mods installed, please make sure they too are updated:

Procedural Parts

Real Fuels

Modular Fuel Tanks

Extraplanetary Launchpads

Procedural Farings

Infernal Robotics

Glow Strips

Near Future Propulsion Pack

The Hangar

Great, that means I don't have to keep it updated. Fixed in 1.40.

I'm gonna go with no.

This *does* update the mass exponent, but will probably mess up anything that also has a mass field:

@TWEAKSCALEEXPONENTS[*]
{
@mass = 1
}

Granted, that's not gonna be a lot of things, so you're probably safe. I might add a name = Part to that in the future, in which case @TWEAKSCALEEXPONENTS[Part] should work, but seeing as how wanting to change everything is a rare case, I might not bother.

What you might have more success with, is making your own SCALETYPE:

SCALETYPE
{
name = Noris_scale
type = stack
SCALEEXPONENTS
{
mass = 2
}
}

And then use that in your parts:

MODULE
{
name = TweakScale
type = Noris_scale
}

My pleasure.

Gotcha. Thanks.

I'm trying to experiment with some settings. Finding it weird that the Z-200 rescaled to 1.25 goes from 200 energy to 1600. Whereas the Z-1K (the stock 1.25 battery) only has 1000 energy. It gets even worse if you continue to scale it. The next size up make it 12.8k energy whereas the Z-4K has 4000. Granted it is balanced weight wise (not sure about cost. Seems wonky).

Nori,

Most parts follow the cube of the scale because that's how volume increases. So the Z-200 2x scale has 200*23 EC and at 4x scale is 200*43 EC. A scaled-up Z-200 is thicker than the stock batteries.

Thanks for the explanation of the math behind that. Makes a lot more sense now.

Hi ! I'm using TS to basically raduce part count on my craft using enlarged versions of available parts.

One of the things that caguht my eye were airbreathing engines. When i resized them, i used KER and RCS Build Aid to read new values for mass, isp and thrust. Is there a plugin that will let me read values for other parts AFTER placing and resizing, i'm interested in ramjets to get "moar air".

Biotronic, I want to thank you for making this awesome mod. I started using this recently and this surely goes to must have mode list.

I did noticed some possible bug tho.

I made something like this ...

@PART[fuelTank2-2]
{
MODULE
{
name = TweakScale
type = stack
scaleFactors = 1.25, 2.5, 3.75
scaleNames = 1.25m, 2.5m, 3.75m
defaultScale = 2.5
}
}

... and when I scale down part in VAB to 1.25 size, attachment nodes are scaled to 0.625 size instead to 1.25 size.

After some fidling, basically, whenever I remove 0.625 size from scaleFactors and defaultScale is > then 1.25, nodes are scaled to 0.625 size instead of proper size when scaling down in VAB (scaling parts up is working as expected).

I don't use your configs, so nothing else is affecting this part, and this problem is shoving for all parts larger than 1.25m when 0.625 size is removed.

Hi ! I'm using TS to basically raduce part count on my craft using enlarged versions of available parts.

One of the things that caguht my eye were airbreathing engines. When i resized them, i used KER and RCS Build Aid to read new values for mass, isp and thrust. Is there a plugin that will let me read values for other parts AFTER placing and resizing, i'm interested in ramjets to get "moar air".

Are you using the 1.x version of Kerbal Engineer? That has the whole hover to see stats thing. Doesn't show everything though which is a bummer. Outside of that I'm not aware of any other tools that will let you see the full stats of a part.

Are you using the 1.x version of Kerbal Engineer? That has the whole hover to see stats thing. Doesn't show everything though which is a bummer. Outside of that I'm not aware of any other tools that will let you see the full stats of a part.

Thanks for the effort, but alas it does list only items related to engine efficiency etc.. I does not attempt to take airbreathing engine fuel economy into account, and i wouldn't expect it to, that's a mess to try and figure out DeltaV as player more-or-less efficiently uses jet engines through all layers of atmosphere. On the upside, this new KER version (newer than 0.6.x upgraded for KSP 0.24.2) + new KSP version made null ref exception go away and random crashing as well, and GUI is better with smaller readouts. Not bad.

Though... i wish TweakScale would somehow list alterations, it did change them. If any plugin "knows" what's done to a part, its TS.

I think that you might possibly have two copies of the Karbonite TweakScale .cfg floating around.

There should be one in GameData/UmbraSpaceIndustries/Karbonite/TweakScale.cfg, and no other. Check that you haven't dropped a manual config file for Karbonite into the GameData/Tweakscale folder.

I do not have two.

I had:

GameData/UmbraSpaceIndustries/Karbonite/TweakScale.cfg

and

GameData/TweakScale/Karbonite_TweakScale.cfg

I deleted the one in the Karbonite folder and my problems are solved.

Doing a find on Tweakscale.cfg also indicates that I do not have a duplicate file.

I believe the issue is these 5 settings are in both files:

@PART[KA_Tank_125_01] // KB-2500 Karbonite Tank

{

MODULE

{

name = TweakScale

type = stack

defaultScale = 1.25

}

}

@PART[KA_Tank_125_02] // KB-3000 Karbonite Tank

{

MODULE

{

name = TweakScale

type = stack

defaultScale = 1.25

}

}

@PART[KA_Tank_125_03] // KB-3650 Karbonite Tank

{

MODULE

{

name = TweakScale

type = stack

defaultScale = 1.25

}

}

@PART[KA_Tank_125_04] // KB-4650 Karbonite Tank

{

MODULE

{

name = TweakScale

type = stack

defaultScale = 1.25

}

}

@PART[KA_Tank_250_01] // KA-200 Karbonite Tank

{

MODULE

{

name = TweakScale

type = stack

defaultScale = 2.5

}

}

I hadn't used this mod much, but the first time I used it to make an aircraft, it was a revelation: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=300087194

The only things not tweaked were wings, fuel tanks, control surfaces, tail fin (upright) and cockpit. The downsizing of larger pieces means the cost is a little higher than a similar stock craft, but it's not that bad when dealing with structural pieces.

The ability to tweak lift and drag, and those excellent enlarged Firespitter gear, is a godsend for aircraft builders.

I have a moral dilemma concerning TweakScale.

I receive contracts from FinePrint, MCE, and KSP to launch and test various parts. For instance, I just had a contract for a 5-meter bulkhead. This is quite bulky and quite heavy. Now, I can either launch this piece at 100% size, or...use TweakScale to shrink it to 1.25 meter, which is much easier to handle. I would still receive full credit upon completing the contract.

So, do I do the honest thing, and launch at 100% size and weight? Or, do I "cheat" and shrink it via TweakScale? Truly, the test of a man's character.

I receive contracts from FinePrint, MCE, and KSP to launch and test various parts. For instance, I just had a contract for a 5-meter bulkhead. This is quite bulky and quite heavy. Now, I can either launch this piece at 100% size, or...use TweakScale to shrink it to 1.25 meter, which is much easier to handle. I would still receive full credit upon completing the contract.

So, do I do the honest thing, and launch at 100% size and weight? Or, do I "cheat" and shrink it via TweakScale? Truly, the test of a man's character.

How about a little of both? Scale it to 2.5m but use two of em. Still easier to launch, but 2.5+2.5 adds up to 5m so you could reason that you basically did it. :P

Odd bug with the Firespitter drop tank - the original appears with dry mass 0.75 (correct) but only 50 liquid fuel (should be 100), while the mirror has dry mass 0.05 and liquid fuel 50 with room for 50 more. This didn't happen before I installed TweakScale.

Biotronic, I want to thank you for making this awesome mod. I started using this recently and this surely goes to must have mode list.

I did noticed some possible bug tho.

I made something like this ...

@PART[fuelTank2-2]
{
MODULE
{
name = TweakScale
type = stack
scaleFactors = 1.25, 2.5, 3.75
scaleNames = 1.25m, 2.5m, 3.75m
defaultScale = 2.5
}
}

... and when I scale down part in VAB to 1.25 size, attachment nodes are scaled to 0.625 size instead to 1.25 size.

After some fidling, basically, whenever I remove 0.625 size from scaleFactors and defaultScale is > then 1.25, nodes are scaled to 0.625 size instead of proper size when scaling down in VAB (scaling parts up is working as expected).

I don't use your configs, so nothing else is affecting this part, and this problem is shoving for all parts larger than 1.25m when 0.625 size is removed.

Thing is, there is no such thing as a 1.25m attach node. Their sizes are 0, 1, 2... While it is true that size 0 is the most common for 62.5cm, consider for instance the KW Rocketry 5m engine with detachable fins (can't remember the name). While the main nodes are large, it has smaller nodes for the fins. Rescaling all to 5m size would be just as wrong as scaling them to 62.5cm size.

The algorithm I've chosen is not perfect, but it's better than the alternatives I've tried thus far.

Edited by Biotronic

I hadn't used this mod much, but the first time I used it to make an aircraft, it was a revelation: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=300087194

The only things not tweaked were wings, fuel tanks, control surfaces, tail fin (upright) and cockpit. The downsizing of larger pieces means the cost is a little higher than a similar stock craft, but it's not that bad when dealing with structural pieces.

The ability to tweak lift and drag, and those excellent enlarged Firespitter gear, is a godsend for aircraft builders.

This kind of feedback is why I love working on this mod.

Hm. I have no idea how the contract system works, but this should be fixed.