Hi! I'm new to Kerbal and here's my first space mission!

Hi! I have juste started playing with the DEMO of KSP so the available parts are quite limited. My computer is quite slow and I have an old video card, so I'm waiting to get my new computer (in a few weeks!) to buy and install the complete game! Can't wait to build and launch rockets with full graphics and a decent framerate.

Here are some pics of my first truly successful mission. I have designed this VTOL spacecraft, which is reusable and can use aerobraking to slow down A LOT when reentering. I deploy the parachute at low altitude (orienting the nose up) and bingo, with some practice I land quite precisely. The rocket itself is compact and nice, and doesn't oscillate during takeoff.

Silex_sub_stage1.jpg

Silex_xs_stage2.jpg

Silex_xs_orbital.jpg

Silex_xs_orbit.jpg

Silex_sx_chute.jpg

Silex_xs_landing.jpg

Silex_xs_landed.jpg

Well... As you can see in the orbit view, there is some junk floating in space. It took me a few tries to understand the basics in rocket building, orbital manoeuvres and reentry. This is the first complete mission (with a few stable orbit) that I complete with a living (and happy) kerbonaut. ;) I would like to say that the physics work quite well in KSP and that controlled landings are the way to go. Tumbling down in a tiny space capsule and landing at random wouldn't be as fun! Can't wait to land on the other planets out there (once I've bought the complete version).

@parameciumkid,

Thanks for the advice. I've built that rocket to practice orbital insertion, orbital control and reentry. I find 4 engines for 1st stage and 1 engine for 2nd stage give enough thrust for my current needs.

My next mission will get me to the Mün and back, trying to use my VTOL ship for the challenge!

I recommend sending a satellite to the moon first. It's good practice for getting there, gives you an idea of how Mun moves (which trust me, the dark side of the Mun is a great song by Pink Kloyd but a terrible place you'll find yourself over and over) and gives a decent intro to dealing with the unique needs of drone-style ships.

That is a handsome little ship, and you resisted the temptation to overbuild. Nice job. :)

I agree, you've done a good job at avoiding the temptation to overbuild, something I myself struggle with. It doesn't help and it kills performance, so if you don't overbuild you'll be able to go pretty far in ksp.

Here is an example of how ridiculous even a simple Mun lander can get with me, and believe me, the performance is awful:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Keep up the good work man.

I agree, you've done a good job at avoiding the temptation to overbuild, something I myself struggle with. It doesn't help and it kills performance, so if you don't overbuild you'll be able to go pretty far in ksp.

Here is an example of how ridiculous even a simple Mun lander can get with me, and believe me, the performance is awful:

http://imgur.com/a/jbk6U

Keep up the good work man.

That's the most fuel-efficient rocket I've ever seen! *laughs*

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.