[1.10.1] SCANsat [v20.4] -- Real Scanning, Real Science, at Warp Speed! [September 9, 2020]

DMagic

Hey, if someone wants top give a random person on the internet their user data fine with me.

I don't and I'm not trusting a random 3rd party piece of software to only transmit what it says it does or not to transmit because of a line in a cfg file. If this thing becomes common I'm putting KSP.exe on my firewall block list, and the Squad won't be getting any data either.

I would rather mod makers have versions of the mod that leaves modstatistics out altogether so people can choose not to have the file on their PC and still enjoy the mod.

Then do what I did - create a folder called ModStatistics in Gamedata and in it, put a new text document called settings.cfg. In that, write "disabled = true". You are then free to delete the ModStats dll (and any future ones) - this ensures it will not run because it doesn't exist.

No I just added it to my antivirus and is deleted right away.

It breaks both data collection and data retention regulations.

It breaks both data collection and data retention regulations.

Such as....? Data collection and retention refer to personal information such as names, credit card numbers, addresses, that kind of thing. Not video game usage statistics. IP addresses are not personally identifiable and the only other ID sent is a random string of numbers and letters.

But honestly, I don't care enough about this issue to argue. I've mentioned how to permanently disable it, it's pretty easily done, and it's clear people against ModStats aren't going to be convinced. So I'm not saying any more because frankly, I don't care enough.

Scansat has modstatistics packaged as standard with it. Questions in regards to it and Scansat a perfectly valid, especially as it seems that Scansat stops working if you remove modstatistics instead of just "disabling" it.

Remember, I started this by asking for a version without it. Allowing me (and others) to use scansat without having 3rd party data collection software on my computer.

It wouldn't take them much to have a download with out it and 1 with it and people can pick what 1 they wanted but again no mod should bundle another mod and that goes back to toolbar and ModuleManager modders don't need to put them in for us to use them.

Such as....? Data collection and retention refer to personal information such as names, credit card numbers, addresses, that kind of thing. Not video game usage statistics. IP addresses are not personally identifiable and the only other ID sent is a random string of numbers and letters.

But honestly, I don't care enough about this issue to argue. I've mentioned how to permanently disable it, it's pretty easily done, and it's clear people against ModStats aren't going to be convinced. So I'm not saying any more because frankly, I don't care enough.

It is not about the IP address it's about the other stuff, such as tracking customer behavior. We have even a law about tracking cookies. A lot of companies can tell you pretty strict laws exist, and we have spent loads of effort complying with them. Don't get me started on 3rd parties collecting usage information.

In any case gathering any information which can be considered anyhow personal without user consent is poor taste. Honestly WTF does how long I play or spend on each screen help mod developers? I am disappointing to see even people like ferram pulling this crap .

I know more than well how to block this traffic, but that's not the point.

Can we get a version without modstatistics.

I don't want that piece of crap spyware on my computer. Even if they "claim" there is a opt out option.

If you don't want ModStatistics to send data you can follow the opt-out instructions provided in the ModStatistics thread. Alternatively you can download and install a disabling mod such as this one (regardless of the thread status, this version appears to have no issues with possible license infringement, and so the download should remain available).

If you think there is something actively harmful about the plugin itself, regardless of what it sends you can delete any copies of it in your GameData folder.

If any of the above options are too onerous or otherwise unsatisfactory you can delete or not install SCANsat.

I would appreciate any answers you can give me concerning the question if the new folder structure in v6.1 will break any vessels created with v6?

Thank you.

If you follow the instructions and completely delete the existing SCANsat and SCANsatRPM folders before installing the new version then you should have no problems with existing vessels; nothing about the parts was changed. If you are worried about it though, just create a backup of your save file somewhere safe before updating.

Why is Multispec so late in the Tech Tree? So far into the tree makes it more likely people (Like me) will grind contracts for science rather than landings.

The tech tree, part cost and science gains are all subject to change. Though really, given the amount of science available, it doesn't really take any time at all to progress far enough up the tech tree to unlock the multispectral scanner.

-------

I would like to know if anyone is having issues with SpacePlane Plus 1.3 when used with SCANsat and RasterPropMonitor.

In particular I would like to know if you are seeing this line in your output.log or crash files.

InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object
at System.Linq.Enumerable.First[SCANsat] (IEnumerable`1 source) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at SCANsat.JSISCANsatRPM.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
(Filename: Line: -1)

Scansat has modstatistics packaged as standard with it. Questions in regards to it and Scansat a perfectly valid, especially as it seems that Scansat stops working if you remove modstatistics instead of just "disabling" it.

Remember, I started this by asking for a version without it. Allowing me (and others) to use scansat without having 3rd party data collection software on my computer.

I'm obviously no fan of modstatistics, but has anyone posted any crash logs showing scansat crashing without modstatistics running? I can't find anything in the scansat code which would cause such a crash.

It is true that you can grind contracts to get to that point pretty quickly. However, To be honest that is not the way I would like to gain a majority of my science in future KSP versions. Biome and low res radar should be quite early in the tree to support those who want to go to the mun and other destinations to build science in my opinion.

Then again the whole Tech tree is insane in it's current state in my opinion anyway.

I'm obviously no fan of modstatistics, but has anyone posted any crash logs showing scansat crashing without modstatistics running? I can't find anything in the scansat code which would cause such a crash.

No logs. A few posts in the modstatistics thread from a few users.

I haven't tested it. Just deleted everything and added the other wise empty settings.cfg with the disabled = true tag in both the main modstatistics folder and the scansat modstatistic folder.

Still thinking about telling the virus scanner to nuke the .dll on sight.

I would like to know if anyone is having issues with SpacePlane Plus 1.3 when used with SCANsat and RasterPropMonitor.

In particular I would like to know if you are seeing this line in your output.log or crash files.

InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object
at System.Linq.Enumerable.First[SCANsat] (IEnumerable`1 source) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at SCANsat.JSISCANsatRPM.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
(Filename: Line: -1)

Exactly this. I removed scansat and it stopped.

Output log: https://www./?j6x63d36dazlpl8

Need any more info?

Hey guys, quick question.

Is there any way to make Scansat work with custom planets and such? I recently added the StarSystems mod, but since then the game won't let me right-click on any Scansat equipment and neither the maps show up.

Alt+F2 menu is flooded by red text "ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range. Parameter name: index"

KSP.log is anyone is interested. Versions 6.0 and 6.1 both have the same result. Did anyone have those problems with some simillar mods? Is there a known solution?

Exactly this. I removed scansat and it stopped.

Output log: https://www./?j6x63d36dazlpl8

Need any more info?

You have SpacePlane Plus installed, correct? It looks like the SCANsat module is not getting applied to the SpacePlane Plus cockpits, it does appear to be getting added to the stock and MKS pods though.

I see that you're crashing, but does it happen right away, or are you able to right click on the cockpit to check if it has an "Open Map" button?

What's supposed to happen here is that RPM will add the necessary modules to any parts with an IVA. Then SCANsat will come along and check to see if any parts have the RPM modules attached, and if so attach it's own module. From what I can tell SCANsat isn't seeing the SpacePlane parts and so doesn't add its module.

I've tested this with stock parts and it doesn't trigger a crash when I deliberately remove the SCANsat module from a command pod, so I'm not sure why it's causing such severe problems with SpacePlane Plus.

Either way a fix for this will have to be released so that even if the module doesn't get added it won't break or cause crashing. It's a simple thing to fix, I was just dumb in not being careful about assuming that the SCANsat module would always be present.

In the meantime you can try adding a module manager config with this inside to just force the SCANsat module onto the part; just fill in whatever the actual part name is.

@PART[*SpacePlane Cockpit*]
{
MODULE
{
name = SCANsat
sensorType = 0
fov = 0
min_alt = 0
max_alt = 0
best_alt = 0
scanName = Eyeball Scan
power = 0.05
}
}

Hey guys, quick question.

You have a very old copy of SCANsat.dll in your GameData folder (just GameData/SCANsat.dll, not in any subfolder) so it's not actually loading the correct version of SCANsat.

1. You have SpacePlane Plus installed, correct?

2. I see that you're crashing, but does it happen right away, or are you able to right click on the cockpit to check if it has an "Open Map" button?

3. In the meantime you can try adding a module manager config with this inside to just force the SCANsat module onto the part; just fill in whatever the actual part name is.

1. Yes, Spaceplane Plus 1.3

2. Everything was fine until I tried to launch the plane, crashed upon moving from SPH to Runway.

3. I have no idea how to do that, sorry but I have a gaping blind spot when it comes to code and no where near enough free time to spend digging around trying to find out how :(

Is this compatible with 64 bit? I can't undeploy my scanning altimetry instrument. I can get it to deploy with right click menu but can't get any menu to come up after it's been activated. I figure it's related to the other issues with right clicking and 64 bit.