[0.24] Spaceplane Plus 1.3

Porkjet

I seem to be having an issue with the parts for Spaceplane.

Long story told short: Lots of bad luck trying out mods, many many crashes. Recently I was able to get a long and stable game going with only a few crashes when switching from space view back to space center or exiting the VAB. I use this mod for some detailed ships, one is on the way to Jool in my most recent game. Few days ago I had just completed a Munar shipyard using Extraplanetary Shipyard mod when my computer locked up. It was KSP, but that scary "huuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" noise that Windows makes when everything goes to and you have to do a hard reboot.

I did that, and restarted KSP. KSP crashes during load. What does this have to do with Space Planes? It locks up when it reads GameData\SpaceplanePlus\Parts\mk2Cockpit_StandardCockpit_Lum.. It stays locked up for a minute or more then CTD. I've replaced the entire mod with a fresh DL, no luck. I've erased the file, then it does the same with the dockingportMk2 file, then CTD. I've rechecked the local files with STEAM constantly and no difference in outcome.

It gets very frustrating. I've played KPS for 1500+ hours with little to show for it because of the constant CTD. Why does it work one moment, then fails the next when I've changed none of the files?

You're almost certainly running out of RAM. KSP is a 32 bit program, and it can therefore only use ~3.5 GB of RAM, no matter how much is available. You can try fixing this by installing Active Texture Management (reduces RAM load), Alternative Texture Loading (might not be available for download currently, has a few incompatibilities, but is much faster than ATM) or Loading Textures Only as Required (works with ATM, but not on all platforms). I recommend using ATM.

i

You're almost certainly running out of RAM. KSP is a 32 bit program, and it can therefore only use ~3.5 GB of RAM, no matter how much is available. You can try fixing this by installing Active Texture Management (reduces RAM load), Alternative Texture Loading (might not be available for download currently, has a few incompatibilities, but is much faster than ATM) or Loading Textures Only as Required (works with ATM, but not on all platforms). I recommend using ATM.

i was told that next 0.24 update going to be 64 bit, is it true?

Is the option missing or does something else happen?

Please don't post KSP.log as it has almost zero troubleshooting value. Post output_log.txt instead (or player.log if on Linux or Mac OS)

To find your log file:

• Windows: KSP_win\KSP_Data\output_log.txt
  • Mac OSX: Open Console, on the left side of the window there is a menu that says 'files'. Scroll down the list and find the Unity drop down, under Unity there will be Player.log Aka Files>~/Library/Logs>Unity>Player.log
  • Linux: ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal\ Space\ Program/Player.log
  • But NOT ksp.log file. Especially not ever.

Sorry, thought ksp.log was the one! Now I know, though, thanks!

so basicly no more 3.5 gb ram restriction?

While that will be true, I wouldn't recommend going overboard on mods with that overhead lifted. It can still slow down KSP in general, and there are some performance benefits oddly enough using ATM that justify it being used (even on a 'lite' method for larger textures). If you can't tell a minor difference in it then I'd recommend using it anyways. Mainly due to the way that KSP handles textures/models in the unity engine.

While that will be true, I wouldn't recommend going overboard on mods with that overhead lifted. It can still slow down KSP in general, and there are some performance benefits oddly enough using ATM that justify it being used (even on a 'lite' method for larger textures). If you can't tell a minor difference in it then I'd recommend using it anyways. Mainly due to the way that KSP handles textures/models in the unity engine.

good enough, not sure ill add anything, since i also delete stuff it should blanace out, i wonder if porkjet can make his own or contact the author kerbpaint for spaceplane plus support.

also warp drive STTE ( e for everywhere) just because :)

More specifically, there will be a 64-bit version of the executable in addition to the 32-bit version, not instead of one. The 64-bit executable won't be as stable as the 32-bit executable.

More specifically, there will be a 64-bit version of the executable in addition to the 32-bit version, not instead of one. The 64-bit executable won't be as stable as the 32-bit executable.

Linux already has 64-bit, correct? And now Windows will have it, but what's the issue with Mac?

It's simply missing. All I can access from the outside is the pod door which tells me who is inside...

Looks like it has everything that other pods have... but I haven't tried the Mk2 in career mode... playing around with this some more.

I've been running ATM the entire time.

Try deleting then reeinstalling SP+ and deleting its ATM cache files. (it will then have to rebuild them which will take awhile)

also back up your saves that you care about that rely on this pack lest you accidentally try to load it with with it uninstalled. maybe run chkdsk too.... if things persist.

I finally strarted modding seriously recently and SP+ is really indispensable for all my spaceplane builds. Here's my KSPI + SP+ SSTO to anywhere and back spaceplane:

http://imgur.com/a/8svkt

I'd love some reverse cargo bays to make some nice VTOLs though. Looking forward to the next update!

You know, I'll probably never use KSPI myself, but I really love to see the crazy sci-fi stuff people make with it.

Hey!

First: This is an amazing looking mod! It's really clean and yet stock-alike. And it doesn't overwhelms me too many parts. Definitely the best spaceplane mod there is!

I encountered one minor issue though. I tried searching this thread for this but couldn't find it so this might be actually client-side: I cannot take science out of the MKII cockpit with my EVA Kerbal. Is this a known issue? Is there a way to edit the part files to fix this? Help would be really appreciated ;)

Cheers,

J-co

Found the problem:

In both the standard and inline cockpit: storageRange is too low for a cockpit that wide. It should extend as far out from the center to the furthest point that a Kerbal will be occupying (at least to his center) who is trying to add something to the science container. Or maybe to the furthest point on the Kerbal (to cover all angles)

MODULE
{
name = ModuleScienceContainer

reviewActionName = Review Stored Data
storeActionName = Store Experiments
evaOnlyStorage = True
storageRange = 1.3
}

Speaking of cameras...

I just had a moment to look at the RPM integration in here and I have one thing to say:

Switchable external camera module is not really meant to be used for pods, and shouldn't be needed for them in the first place. It's certainly not meant to be used more than twice per part or so... It's for cameras which are not part of a particular pod that contains RPM displays that need to be accessible, which the actual player needs to position on the model without having to edit the RPM config for the pod and without creating duplicate parts with different transform names.

It should be perfectly acceptable to get rid of all the

MODULE
{
name = JSIExternalCameraSelector
cameraContainer = Cam1
}

in part configs, and edit the names of the cameras in RPM configs instead:

PAGE
{
name = extcam1
cameraTransform = Cam1
}

Yeah, the package would need it's own RPM configs. That's one of the ideas behind moving things around RPM 0.17, to be honest, to get people to actually customize RPM. :)

Awesome work Starwaster! I'll play around with that value and see if it works. Thanks a bunch!

3 worked for me but I can't say that it needed to be that high.... if you find a minimum let us know!

I could use some help here, only the middle screen in IVA is working with Raster Prop Monitor, all the others are blank for some reason. Very beautifully crafted parts by the way, the interiors especially are stunning.

Is it this that's causing the StackOverflowExceptions? Because disabling the camera FOVs fixes it.

There are probably a few bugs in JSIExternalCameraSelector. They don't make themselves known when there is one or two copies of the module per part, though, but the pod has quite a bit more.

I seem to be having an issue with the parts for Spaceplane.

Long story told short: Lots of bad luck trying out mods, many many crashes. Recently I was able to get a long and stable game going with only a few crashes when switching from space view back to space center or exiting the VAB. I use this mod for some detailed ships, one is on the way to Jool in my most recent game. Few days ago I had just completed a Munar shipyard using Extraplanetary Shipyard mod when my computer locked up. It was KSP, but that scary "huuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" noise that Windows makes when everything goes to and you have to do a hard reboot.

I did that, and restarted KSP. KSP crashes during load. What does this have to do with Space Planes? It locks up when it reads GameData\SpaceplanePlus\Parts\mk2Cockpit_StandardCockpit_Lum.. It stays locked up for a minute or more then CTD. I've replaced the entire mod with a fresh DL, no luck. I've erased the file, then it does the same with the dockingportMk2 file, then CTD. I've rechecked the local files with STEAM constantly and no difference in outcome.

It gets very frustrating. I've played KPS for 1500+ hours with little to show for it because of the constant CTD. Why does it work one moment, then fails the next when I've changed none of the files?

This really sounds like you have more basic computer problems than just KSP crashing.

First off you need to either look at your KSP output_log.txt or post it so others can look at it. Here's were output_log.txt is. Steam users should right click KSP in Steam, click on Properties, then in the Properties box, click Local Files, then Browse Local Files.

Second, please do some diagnostics on your computer, specifically RAM tests and Hard Drive tests. I don't believe KSP (or rather the 32bit Windows Unity Player) can Hard Lock a modern OS without something else being wrong. You mentioned a scary noise at hard lock, maybe audio drivers?

Third, please post more facts, what versions of; Windows, KSP, Mods, ect.

"Data! Data! Data!" he cried impatiently. "I can't make bricks without clay."

Edited by smurphy34

Linux already has 64-bit, correct? And now Windows will have it, but what's the issue with Mac?

Probably similar to the windows issue but more so. 64-bit Unity support for OSX wasn't even available until just under a year ago, so it probably hasn't been debugged as much as the 64-bit support for windows, and that isn't exactly stable, so I'd expect the OSX version of Unity to be even worse.

3 worked for me but I can't say that it needed to be that high.... if you find a minimum let us know!

2 works quite well and it feels similar to the hitchhikers pod. Again, thanks a bunch :)

ATM "DOES NOT" automatically compress, it uses config files to determine what it will compress. Unless you have added a "SpaceplanePlus" config or downloaded a config pak like Green Skulls excellent one then ATM will do NOTHING with your SpaceplanePlus folder.

Edited by smurphy34