Community Mun Base

Since the 0.14 official seems to have broken the save, we\'ll have to restart. I have landed 'Mun or Bust 10' on the rim of a crater. Unfortunately, I forgot that the lander had an engine until the last moment and the impact broke off a landing leg. Also, beware of the low orbiting debris! Post the contents of saves.zip in the KSP application of a KSP install that you don\'t care about. Who will go next?

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=7849.0;attach=14414;image

I tried again just in case it was a one off, unfortunately the lander fell once more, with the decoupler again landing on its side.

Here is the save folder, don\'t worry too much about the screenshot\'s name, see if you can figure out the reference :)

Mind your head, a pair of my boosters are in a degrading orbit but as drag does not affect 'on rails' debris, they will orbit for some time.

I try to make my rockets self cleaning by either crashing parts into the Mun or dropping them into the atmosphere :)

I expect that orbital debris will become more of an issue over time, just as it will become a more pressing issue in real life as more satellites reach the end of their life with no easy means of recovery.

On my next go I\'ll watch my boosters for a while to allow them to deorbit naturally, Darkshadow has asked me to put his Munar rover near the base.

Hi everyone, I just downloaded the Save file from sal_vager\'s post and I\'m about to send another lander to your little party, I hope that\'s okay.

I\'ll update this post with the new save files once i\'m done 8)

And as promised here it is ! The Prometheus Class Mun Lander Mark 3 (stock parts only) has joined the other two landers at the base site.

I left the orbit insertion booster and the transmunar injection fuel tanks neatly in orbit around Kerbin and the mun, respectively.

Protocol would dictate that the two auxiliary boosters be jettisoned before lift off, and that the return trip be made only with the return stage\'s small booster, but this requires pinpoint accuracy, so in case one of you wants to take her back home someday I suggest using what\'s left of the auxiliary boosters\' juice to make the first impulsion.

So yeah that\'s pretty much it! And the ships has been cleared Beast-free by the Kith-Sa\'s engineers, so we should be good =P

When you\'re done we should wait for trbinsc to turn up, he said he was going to land another ship, I will take both the persistence files and try to combine them.

It should be easy as they are plaintext.

Okay, I tried looking this up but I couldn\'t find it. How the heck do I open up the LT-2 landing struts to land on the mun?? I thought I had to hit space but that made me go to my next stage and I died >.<

Use G to open your gear ;)

And yes there is a way. The trick is to have your orbit pass straight above the target landing site, and kill your horizontal velocity. From there you just have to keep your speed in check for a smooth landing, while fine tuning along the way with the RCS. You\'ll get the hang of it, don\'t worry !

How far from the landing site did you crash ? You should upload your save anyway, and add to the various space debris and discarded equipement scattered on the moon and in space :D

I flew by feel mostly, so I\'m not the best person to ask, but what I did was this.

I got to Munar orbit (obviously :) ) then I tilted the orbit so I\'d fly directly over the base.

I like to come in low and fast which probably made it harder, but when I was about 18k away and 5k high I made a full burn to stop my lateral movement.

Bare in mind I had 6 full tanks of extra mass I was delivering so it took longer than normal to slow down.

When the direction marker had reached the edge of the navball I tilted vertical and used low thrust to prevent my lander from dropping too quickly, and I adjusted my angle a little so I\'d fly towards the base.

When near and above the base I corrected my sideways movement and continued to drop at around 50 to 70 m/s, I reduced speed nearer the ground then hovered on the engine, very carefully moving with ASAS on and using WASD to tilt ever so slightly.

I hovered over to the base, which was only about 500 meters away by now, and landed, even with 6 full tanks I could hover for quite a while.

How far from the landing site did you crash ? You should upload your save anyway, and add to the various space debris and discarded equipement scattered on the moon and in space :D

I landed about 1 km from the site but I ended my flight because I thought I was supposed to XD but some guy\'s space debris finally got stuck in the orbit of the mun while I was trying to get there.

Anyways, here is a very slightly different version than the last.