Community Mun Base

I noticed that there was something like this in the roleplaying forum, but you need a corporation (Which I have) or a country. This is a public version in which anyone can participate. We will give the persistent.sfs to one person at a time, and they land a base part or lander extremely close to the existing parts. You may only land ONE ship, but if you fail you may leave the wreckage and try again. Only one person will have it at a time, but it will be posted publicly on the thread if other people want to mess around with it. Mod parts are allowed, but you have to post what packs you used. Who\'s going to start?

Well anyone can make a corporation, indeed I have! What I\'d recommend here is a stock built mun base as we\'ve got a strong stock parts community here and more people will be likely to have a go. Indeed it shouldn\'t just be for mun bases but any sort of project people want to contribute to a community persistent map.

One question how do you run different persistent maps and secondly does a persistent map include the necessary .craft files?

Well anyone can make a corporation, indeed I have! What I\'d recommend here is a stock built mun base as we\'ve got a strong stock parts community here and more people will be likely to have a go. Indeed it shouldn\'t just be for mun bases but any sort of project people want to contribute to a community persistent map.

One question how do you run different persistent maps and secondly does a persistent map include the necessary .craft files?

You have to supply the .craft files and the save file.

Is it even possible to combine persistence files? if not then several people will be making changes concurrently, it might only work as a sort of play by email system with each person having a day to put their part on the Mun.

Is it even possible to combine persistence files? if not then several people will be making changes concurrently, it might only work as a sort of play by email system with each person having a day to put their part on the Mun.

That\'s a good idea, how is the information encoded in the file?

Actually I just tried to mount or open it, it\'s plain text, the .sfs extension might as well be .txt

Everything is listed with its positions, even Kerbal bravery is in there, take a look :)

I suppose people could simply copy the submitted Mun base sfs files into one master file?

Edit:

I\'ll reword that, I meant copy the contents of their sfs file, specifically just their Mun base contribution, into the larger sfs file being used to contain the community base, it\'d need a maintainer.

Otherwise we\'d all have slightly different Mun bases with no way to combine them.

(I have nothing on the Mun yet, silly space bugs)

Ok, I thought you might need a lander with plenty of fuel just in case any Kerbals need to return to Kerbin quickly, the space toilet might stop working or something :)

With space bugs nibbling my rockets recently, I had forgot I could press capslock for fine control, it was touch and go for a while there.

Is it bad that the bases explode when I land near them?

I\'m having the same problem. As soon as I get close enough to a landed craft for the terrain to load it seems like the terrain clips into the landed craft, causing it to explode and launch into the air.

I thought I\'d have another look at the file, as soon as I switched to the base, the ground spasmed and trbinsc\'s lander fell over and broke, also whats with the moon being so bright? it\'s never done that to me before.

It looks like KSP set the rockets down before it had finished sorting terrain height, maybe there needs to be staged loading for objects on the Mun?

Edit: Forget it, its a shader problem supposedly.

I think I know what was causing the Mun to be so bright, not only for me but Winter Man mentioned this as well.

Of course we have all seen that the Mun is brightest in the center on the sunward side, this is probably because multiplication filters are applied to vary the brightness.

Anyway I noticed, eventually after a few restarts just in case it was KSP\'s fault, that I was orbiting the Mun on this bright spot, not high up either so the entire Mun looked to me to be whited out.

Another ship on the other side of the Mun saw no such brightness.

Next time I\'ll try to avoid any maneuvers at Munar noon, it\'s just too bright.

Maybe the devs can make sunshades?

I did my flight in 0.14x4, and didn\'t have any unexplained bangs, I might have to put a Mun rover up next so we can do donuts.

Ah you can try using my stock rover design, I\'m quite proud of it. Not to mention it will add a lander module to the base. Only problem is that testing it in .14x2 it broke on the launchpad so a little modification will be needed to make it .14 compatible.

Yeah sure Darkshadow, but it\'s not my turn yet ;)

I know what you mean by rockets collapsing, my Hopper fell apart twice so I reinforced it and uploaded the new craft file, I expect when 0.14 proper is released I\'ll have to check and rebuild all my rockets.

So far there are the 2 landers but they seem to fall over whenever you get near them or they are switched to, we may have to wait until the full release before much more is done.