SpaceX to reveal their manned DragonV2 capsule tonight

Ahh yea. I did notice it, and wondered what it was for. But he did say "survive for days" must be only jettisoned right before reentry and that's how they get power to survive.

AA batteries, obviously!!

Oh, bad question: does it have a space toilet? Even Soyuz has a toilet system.

It's not a requirement for CCDev, so probably not. It would launch, rendezvous, and dock in less than a day.

you mean looks over functionality, uncomfortable, unreliable, underperforming, overly expensive?

Yeah calling the Dragon 2 the "Lamborghini of Space" doesn't work. Calling Dragon 2 the Tesla Model S of space, however, is quite accurate and fitting.

It's not a requirement for CCDev, so probably not. It would launch, rendezvous, and dock in less than a day.

If I'm not wrong SpaceX said at some point earlier that the crew dragon is supposed to be able to support a crew for up to 30 days without docking to a station or returning. So I would guess that it has some sort of space toilet. I'm not entirely sure about this though, so you might also be right.

If I'm not wrong SpaceX said at some point earlier that the crew dragon is supposed to be able to support a crew for up to 30 days without docking to a station or returning. So I would guess that it has some sort of space toilet. I'm not entirely sure about this though, so you might also be right.

The current statement is "7 to 10 days" and there is no toilet.

Maybe 7-seater is, as someone accurately said, an LEO taxi - you do not install, or need toilet in taxi cab. For longer missions crew probably will be cut down to 3 or 2 - which would free a lot of space inside. Personally, i'm more worried about power requirements - those power cells on the trunk don't look like much to me. Maybe it's another part of LEO setup - enough to trickle charge batteries on the fly, providing enough power until ship docks with space station, or returns to the surface. Again, for longer missions maybe there will be another type of the trunk - with proper solar panels (and maybe fuel cells).

It seems there's enough space inside the capsule to store as much plastic bottles as you'll need in 10 days :P

Nope, all that space will be consumed by cargo. It might not look stuffed like Soyuz,

week47_042.jpg

but I don't think it will be much different.

I don't want to imagine the smell after seven people... :confused:

Hopefully, but lets say they have some kind of problem and have to wait a few days, what is going to happen then? What is its manned endurance, 7-10 days?!?! If its longer then a day what do they do, use space diapers? At the very least something to suck up and store urine, maybe a few of those infamous apollo fecal bags:

fecal-bag.jpg

But all of that seems just so wrong for a spaceship that got a gigantic tablet for a control panel! I would expect them to have some-kind of magical Japanese device that sucks, stores, cleans and leaves a lemon-mint smell behind. Also has a cloaking device that makes the person using the device invisible to the rest of the crew, even the crew members that are six inches away, but I doubt Elon would show and demonstrate that thing.

I could imagine for a 4 man crew they could use the lower "deck" for a space toilet and other amenities for a longer mission.

Nope, all that space will be consumed by cargo. It might not look stuffed like Soyuz,

http://totallycoolpix.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/25112011_coolest_pix_week_47/week47_042.jpg

but I don't think it will be much different.

I don't want to imagine the smell after seven people... :confused:

Very possible. I would imagine they want to make sure 7 people have enough supplies to last for days/weeks in case something goes wrong.

I bet the primary point of the touchscreen is the reduced mass of the panel. The Soyuz control panel is heavier and bigger. I think it would also reduce the possibility of a fire and the crew and life support components has a bigger space. The PTK NP capsule design is aiming for similar solutions too.

lighter, you have multiple screens who can be used for the same if needed so no huge issue if one breaks.

Downside is that they are slower to use for time sensitive operations, in space that is emergencies.

Very possible. I would imagine they want to make sure 7 people have enough supplies to last for days/weeks in case something goes wrong.

If something goes wrong, they deorbit and land wherever is practical.

If something goes wrong, they deorbit and land wherever is practical.

Actually not a terribly impractical idea given that the entire launch system is supposed to be reusable. Something goes wrong after launch, you just head back home and refuel, stick everyone on another Dragon V2 and launch again. Sure, you lose fuel, but you needn't actually plan for loooooong stays in space that way.

Touch screen displays are good enhancements of MDF's (good for quick selection or switching between instruments instead using keys around the screen), but obviously they don't use touch screen nor MFD keys and knobs to navigate trough interface or data entry ,but use keys and knobs on hand controllers (F-35 mentioned above is a good example of that) and other areas easy to reach by pilot rather than reaching to instrument panel what can be very tricky... in soyuz they can't even reach instrument panel during launch and they used glorified stick to press the buttons.

Other question is how much control over mission crew would had at all and if they aren't just another payload.

Anyway, I guess that it's too early to talk about dragon interior as they show only bare metal pressure vessel with mock-up seats and panel so it's still long way before we'll see a real thing.

Edited by karolus10

I'm bladder-shy, I'd never be able to pee or poop in the company of six people. Not only there are smells, but SOUNDS! The idea that someone next to me is listening those sounds makes me cringe, and if I was the spectator, I might puke.

I'm bladder-shy, I'd never be able to pee or poop in the company of six people. Not only there are smells, but SOUNDS! The idea that someone next to me is listening those sounds makes me cringe, and if I was the spectator, I might puke.

Don't worry, diapers are a part of astronaut uniform... they might be useful as dragon will not had any toilet... also 7 people configuration is designed to ferry astronauts to bigger ship, so they aren't supposed to stay there for too long.

Edited by karolus10

Don't worry, diapers are a part of astronaut uniform... they might be useful as dragon will not had any toilet... also 7 people configuration is designed to ferry astronauts to bigger ship, so they aren't supposed to stay there for too long.

I know about the diapers, but they can't hold much of the waste, and the smells are gases. Unless they have woven catalysts in their pants, ... oh lawdy.

Imagine opening the hatch at ISS. Daaaayum...

I know about the diapers, but they can't hold much of the waste, and the smells are gases. Unless they have woven catalysts in their pants, ... oh lawdy.

Imagine opening the hatch at ISS. Daaaayum...

Poor ISS residents would be...quite hard-pressed to not say anything I think.

Poor ISS residents would be...quite hard-pressed to not say anything I think.

"The end of decades long LEO exploration occured when, stunned by the smell and thus lacking proper judgment, a newbie astronaut caressly opened the window."

Anyway, I guess that it's too early to talk about dragon interior as they show only bare metal pressure vessel with mock-up seats and panel so it's still long way before we'll see a real thing.

Those were pretty much flight ready seats. Not mockups.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.