[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [16.1][28.05.2024][Mars Expedition WIP]

Beale

Since you're finally working on IVAs' date=' Beale. Thought I'd give my two cents about Almach's capsule, I'd really like it to have three RPM screens just like stock's Mk1, now the screens don't have to be huge, three small ones will do (we can always zoom in). Those who want realism in their Vostok pod probably won't be using RPM anyways and stock's Mk1 with RPM already has three RPM screens so.. I don't see the problem here if Almach has three RPM screens too, IMO.[/quote']

I don't think it would cause too many problems to have a small RPM screen, sure :)

IVAs in general... They are expensive memory-wise, and there are so many parts with crew capacity.

I was thinking only to make IVAs for crewed parts with control capacity, at least until we get 64-bit support.

How about this basically?

http://imgur.com/Twlnlsil.png

The only parts that you'd really need to make would be the SM, and the LFO tank. I think that you could probably make the heat shield, decoupler, and adapter from current parts. The landing legs can be easily clipped in. Doesn't feel cheat-y. The propulsive landing ability is a different story however... How much work would it actually require? Could you outsource the IVA to someone who's good at IVAs? I know you're not exactly a fan of making those up. :P

Yeah! As soon as I get the texture the way I want it, I wouldn't mid sending it off to you. Any good tutorials around on how to apply the alpha channel in a logical way, and without doing it all free-hand with a brush?

Aaah I can't cut out any parts! :)

I am actually a little more enthusiastic when working on this Lunar PPTS, though at a glance it doesn't appear much different - from a production perspective I think there will be much nicer results.

Alpha channel, just copy/paste your actual texture layers into it, you can build up an specular map very quickly!

I wouldn't make a adapter/decoupler when we can simply widen the straight segment and slip another normal decoupler in between the heat shield and adapter

Like this?

c32d1b8d05.png

I don't know... I think the size difference in capsule / SM really completes the aesthetic.

EDIT: Ah! I'm stupid - I understand now, yeah good idea! :)

I know that balancing/texture cleanup didn't win the most votes in the poll, but I had an idea regarding it. When you get around to that category, why don't you make the Priorda antenna a resource scanner? After all, it looks similar to the stock scanner, and I believe the dish was built for something along those lines anyway.

Not a bad idea!

Though it is useful, I used that dish for my Kerbin relay to facilitate my first ever RT Duna Mission! :cool:

And my Nth ever RT Mun mission!

69be87d278.jpg

Highly elliptical polar orbit, barely a drop of monopropellant left and in a useless orbit for anymore science!

c7511611c7.jpg

6dfe360d5f.jpg

Speaking of RT - I'll make a few more dish parts. They might be a little overpowered compared to vanilla RT parts... But, it's my personal belief a few of the vanilla RT parts are underpowered - it seems to me a lot of IRL probes operate fine with much smaller and lighter dishes...

7dc9a55ce9.jpg

Any suggestions for antenna designs?

Shenzou OM!

e61b1e4473.jpg

Edited by Beale

Speaking of RT - I'll make a few more dish parts. They might be a little overpowered compared to vanilla RT parts... But, it's my personal belief a few of the vanilla RT parts are underpowered - it seems to me a lot of IRL probes operate fine with much smaller and lighter dishes...

http://puu.sh/ip5bA/7dc9a55ce9.jpg

Any suggestions for antenna designs?

This things :

1434327405-lunokhd1.jpg

I don't really think an alternate 0.9375m Shenzhou is required. If you clip the 0.9375m APAS into the top just a little bit, it looks perfect. I suppose you could, but I know how people complain about clutter.

The whirly bit on the right side of the screen. When deployed, it spins around frantically continuously while deployed, like the hexagonal resource scanner. This is my favorite, and top of my wish-list.

Soyuz IGLA Receiving Antenna. Second on my wish-list.

2209891410_bed44d28d3_b.jpg

Mir Magnetometer. Much like DMagic's. Would keep it from being a dependency for craft files if one was baked into Tantares.

Atlantis_Docked_to_Mir.jpg

Apollo High Gain Antenna. Probably one of the coolest looking antennas on a spacecraft.

p177a.gif

This Zvezda antenna thing.

zvezda-antenna-cover-locations.jpg?1377180228

Venera 4 Antenna dish.

p0188.JPG

Dented Kurs Antenna.

antenna_iss036e007131_1.jpg

Joke... Look at small receiving antenna in lower left-hand corner of the image.

Basic reflective antenna dish.

Mars3_iki.jpg

Zond Antenna.

zond%2001.jpg

Lunokhod's HGA, which I see has just been mentioned.

Just going with quantity over quality. Couldn't think of any other interesting looking antennae.

Edited by curtquarquesso

The boom on Kvant-1 isn't a magnetometer, it's the experimental Sofora girder, meant to hold exterior experiments, like Reflektor. Which, incidentally, would make a very nice antenna part!

well there are a few antennas that I think are missing here

-the swirl antennas from the Lunokhod (already mentioned)

-a small dish antenna that points out

-small Omni antenna like on this Sat

Venus-Mission-5.png

-the Dish-shaped-but-not-exactly-a-dish antenna as seen here:

1779c.jpg

(^I think that one looks really cool)

-a "square dish" antenna like this one:

space-electronicsl-apr-1961-popular-electronics-5.jpg

(I have never seen something like that on a spacecraft though)

All this talk of antenna and RemoteTech... I am going to have my hands full keeping that shiny new config up to date! BTW looking at that Zond antenna curtquarquesso linked it could probably be made with no new textures or models just by copying the L-HG1 and reworking the animation so it points out rather than perpendicular.

I don't think it would cause too many problems to have a small RPM screen, sure :)

IVAs in general... They are expensive memory-wise, and there are so many parts with crew capacity.

I was thinking only to make IVAs for crewed parts with control capacity, at least until we get 64-bit support.

Just one? :( On the upside it's better than none at all. :D Something tells me I'm gonna be forever limited with my designs by sticking to Mk1 Lander Can because it has 4 RPM screens, unless I figure out how to edit models and smuggle extra screens there somewhere.

I don't really think an alternate 0.9375m Shenzhou is required. If you clip the 0.9375m APAS into the top just a little bit, it looks perfect. I suppose you could, but I know how people complain about clutter.

The whirly bit on the right side of the screen. When deployed, it spins around frantically continuously while deployed, like the hexagonal resource scanner. This is my favorite, and top of my wish-list.

Soyuz IGLA Receiving Antenna. Second on my wish-list.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2366/2209891410_bed44d28d3_b.jpg

Mir Magnetometer. Much like DMagic's. Would keep it from being a dependency for craft files if one was baked into Tantares.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b9/Atlantis_Docked_to_Mir.jpg

Apollo High Gain Antenna. Probably one of the coolest looking antennas on a spacecraft.

http://www.apollosaturn.com/asnr/p177a.gif

This Zvezda antenna thing.

http://i.space.com/images/i/000/032/011/i02/zvezda-antenna-cover-locations.jpg?1377180228

Venera 4 Antenna dish.

http://www.planet4589.org/space/misc/moscow/p0188.JPG

Dented Kurs Antenna.

http://www.russianspaceweb.com/images/spacecraft/manned/space_stations/iss/progress_mm/19/antenna_iss036e007131_1.jpg

Joke... Look at small receiving antenna in lower left-hand corner of the image.

Basic reflective antenna dish.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/13/Mars3_iki.jpg

Zond Antenna.

http://www.ninfinger.org/models/vault/Zond%20--%20USSR%20to%20the%20Moon!/zond%2001.jpg

Lunokhod's HGA, which I see has just been mentioned.

Just going with quantity over quality. Couldn't think of any other interesting looking antennae.

well there are a few antennas that I think are missing here

-the swirl antennas from the Lunokhod (already mentioned)

-a small dish antenna that points out

-small Omni antenna like on this Sat

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mariner2/images/Venus-Mission-5.png

-the Dish-shaped-but-not-exactly-a-dish antenna as seen here:

http://www.thespacereview.com/archive/1779c.jpg

(^I think that one looks really cool)

-a "square dish" antenna like this one:

http://www.rfcafe.com/references/popular-electronics/images2/space-electronicsl-apr-1961-popular-electronics-5.jpg

(I have never seen something like that on a spacecraft though)

Oh my!

The motherload!

Many dearest thanks for digging all these up.

Sooo... The ones I am liking a lot.

1. Lunokhod High-Gan
  2. Apollo (This is a nice bonus to those who use TKS as Apollo)
  3. Venera 4 Dish
  4. Mariner Omni

Beale, I'm not sure if you've seen my reflections mod yet, but I am wondering if you could help me get external lighting working. I'm using TR's reflection plugin and if your mod has a better way of handling it I would love to try it out. :)

WindowShine thread

Hello!

My best guess! My windows are separate meshes, with a small 8x8 pixel emissive texture. Does the reflection plugin work via emissive texture or Alpha channel?

Apart from that, sorry - I really not sure what could cause my parts to work different. Tg626's video is interesting to see.

Oh my!

The motherload!

Many dearest thanks for digging all these up.

Sooo... The ones I am liking a lot.

1. Lunokhod High-Gan
  2. Apollo (This is a nice bonus to those who use TKS as Apollo)
  3. Venera 4 Dish
  4. Mariner Omni

Yeah :D Kerbals could cook some snack with the grills on the antenna from Mariner 10

Hello!

My best guess! My windows are separate meshes, with a small 8x8 pixel emissive texture. Does the reflection plugin work via emissive texture or Alpha channel?

Apart from that, sorry - I really not sure what could cause my parts to work different. Tg626's video is interesting to see.

Alpha channel... I think... :P. I'm not the coder of this mod sadly, only the re-texturer and config editor. Areas of the part texture that have less transparency are more reflective - it relies heavily on Alpha channel. I was guessing your windows where separate meshes, and I'm guessing also that that is part of the reason the lighting doesn't work on the stock redone parts.

If you're still asking for antenna ideas, my votes would go to the Zvezda antenna thing, a smaller version of the long backup antenna (maybe have it extend the same way as the Communitron 16?), and a long range, high gain dish like on Venera or Mars probes. Maybe even a fixed dish like on most American outer planet probes.

Alpha channel... I think... :P. I'm not the coder of this mod sadly, only the re-texturer and config editor. Areas of the part texture that have less transparency are more reflective - it relies heavily on Alpha channel. I was guessing your windows where separate meshes, and I'm guessing also that that is part of the reason the lighting doesn't work on the stock redone parts.

If it's the alpha channel, how does the whole craft not become reflective (Unless you are using a separate "reflectivity" texture)? Sorry, I'm not too familiar with the mechanics of the mod. :)

That's the one!

I think you have the greatest authority to help me here, what's the proper naming to use for this design?

PPTS, PPTK, Rus-M, Rus or PTK-NP?

If you're still asking for antenna ideas, my votes would go to the Zvezda antenna thing, a smaller version of the long backup antenna (maybe have it extend the same way as the Communitron 16?), and a long range, high gain dish like on Venera or Mars probes. Maybe even a fixed dish like on most American outer planet probes.

I've just today remodelled the long backup antenna part.

Huge relief to find it hasn't affected my RT networks...

But, the changes are minuscule.

6800344db1.jpg

A smaller version? I can dig it!

So I'm confused, antennas and PPTS are what's coming next? I'm excited!

At the moment, just antennas.

Then Vostok, then this PPTS. That's set in stone, no deviations!

Boo!

Not much to see without a texture, but I think it's a really neat design, the more I look at reference images.

1f264bbb07.jpg

bed27266dc.jpg

I think you have the greatest authority to help me here, what's the proper naming to use for this design?

IIRC Rus-M was the name of the (abandoned) rocket concept on which the craft was initially supposed to fly. So it's almost certainly not that. As for the rest...dunno :)

That's the one!

PPTS, PPTK, Rus-M, Rus or PTK-NP?

PPTS seems to be the rocket's name (Angara A5 modified for manned flights, presumably). PTK NP seems to be the ship's name. "Rus" and "Rus-M" is an un-official nickname. There is no "official" nickname yet, AFAIK.

Also, there's another mockup, featuring nice landing legs:

Mockup_of_PPTS%2C_Putin.jpg

Note that "RCS chin" seems to be absent from the current design - it's more like US Orion capsule, albeit being taller.

Wow you're fast for modeling :D It looks good ! Here we go for the photo

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2015/25/1434401598-apollo-csm-s-band.jpg

How about it? :)

I'm quite pleased for a 128x128 texture!

9355aff693.jpg

d6711d8cd0.jpg

3296faa7c0.jpg

There's also the "spider web" detail, but given the resolution constraints, not sure!

862691c287.jpg

IIRC Rus-M was the name of the (abandoned) rocket concept on which the craft was initially supposed to fly. So it's almost certainly not that. As for the rest...dunno :)
PPTS seems to be the rocket's name (Angara A5 modified for manned flights, presumably). PTK NP seems to be the ship's name. "Rus" and "Rus-M" is an un-official nickname. There is no "official" nickname yet, AFAIK.

Also, there's another mockup, featuring nice landing legs:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/98/Mockup_of_PPTS%2C_Putin.jpg

Note that "RCS chin" seems to be absent from the current design - it's more like US Orion capsule, albeit being taller.

Thanks for the info! A slightly confusing situation, but I'm glad to not be completely wrong constantly calling it PPTS :cool:

The lack of the chin was what made scrapping of the current PPTS model more attractive, that particular element of the capsule caused quite a few problems when seaking for efficient UV unwrapping, maybe just a lack of skill on my part - but, it made creating the capsule satisfactory quite difficult.

Edited by Beale