[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [16.1][28.05.2024][Mars Expedition WIP]

Beale

2 hours ago, benjee10 said:

it will still have the old fuel capacity

Exactly. Stuff like fuel capacity is the tip of the iceberg too. I usually run with the debug log open (while not filming) because I do so much mod-changing, and I need to see any messages spewing. There are times when a craft will start throwing exceptions and a simple craft reconstruction makes the exceptions go away. If anyone out there is curious about one source of problems like this, check source files for mods you use for things like [KSPField(isPersistant = true)] which means it's going to leave stuff behind. Just one example.

19 hours ago, IronCretin said:

How do I safely land the Vostok pod? When I reenter it, it doesn't slow down to safe parachute speed until too late, and at those speeds, the parachute can't full deploy in time, since it only opens at 500m, so I end up crashing into the ground at ~100-200m/s. Should I just get the EVA parachute mod and eject like the real thing? Or am I doing something wrong with my re-entry profile? It also burns a lot of ablator, ~80%, I'm a bit worried about that.

I love the mod though, adds a great variety of useful parts.

Try delete partDatabase.cfg from your KSP root directory, if that does not fix the problem, let me know :) 

The Vostok pod should decelerate better than that, but still requires a shallow angle.

21 hours ago, hendrack said:

I get around 4400 dv with that craft (beautiful btw!). At first glance I noticed when you start the craft with full throttle, the bottom where the engine is moves a nudge from the center until it stabilizes itself again. This may be a stability issue.

Very interesting, thanks. I will try to reproduce the nudging.

16 hours ago, DerpyFirework said:

@Beale, I just did some testing with the Black Arrow parts with the supplied craft file.

First time, I followed prograde. I deliberately deviated by a few degrees, and it flipped as you described.

Second time, I did the same as above without the fairing, and it required more deviation to cause the flip, so the fairing but seems to contribute to it.

Third time, I just simply followed prograde to space, but failed to orbit due to pilot error at circularisation.

So something does seem up. Have you tried deleting the PartDatabase? The Dragcubes could be corrupt on your end.

16 hours ago, Felbourn said:

I do a lot of part modding of mods, such as taking Tantares and "making it my own" over time. One thing I have noticed in all this is that sometimes craft files get corrupted. They seem ok. They load ok. But something gets.... "off" about them. They don't perform the same after a few CFG changes, even non-save-breaking changes. Rebuilding a craft from scratch can sometimes fix a problem I'm having. If you have not tried that recently, try a totally rebuilt Black Arrow after you do what Derpy said of deleting your PartDatabase.

15 hours ago, benjee10 said:

Yes, some things get saved into the craft file and won't be affected by changing the .cfg. For example, if you change the fuel capacity of a part in the .cfg, then load a previously saved craft which uses that part into the VAB, it will still have the old fuel capacity. For some attributes the changes only apply to new parts brought in to the editor.

Very doubtful it is a save issue now, isFairing is not persistent. So the value should be reloaded every startup of the game.

[KSPField]
public bool isFairing;

DragCube error is possible, I will investigate. I have already deleted the database a few times, but that will not help if the wrong kind of shape is being generated for a part (somehow).

12 hours ago, SpaceToad said:

@Beale What did you edit the Black Prince video with? Looks awesome.

Recorded with Open Broadcast Software, edited with Windows Movie Maker! :) 

@Beale I just want to include my support for you and echo the previous statements. Don't worry about the flipping for now. I have to compensate on stock rockets just as much as Tantares rockets with RCS, SAS, and fins to prevent the issue. Lots of variables go into it, for each rocket, but I think this issue is on Squad's end too. But the beauty of all this is, 1.1 will be coming out soon, there will be a whole new set of variables, so fixing the problem now may break the game later, or waiting for squad now may fix the problem later. I'm sure I don't know what I'm talking about, but I would be very very very sad to not have your continued mod in future versions of the game.

When Bobcat went MIA I thought I would never play a decent Russian mod pack again, and your mod appeared like a shining beacon of hope to us all. Your parts are invaluable to my game, I use at least one part from your mod on every spacecraft I build. Please continue. Take advantage of us as your beta testers, let us help you in any way we can. Take as much personal time away from this as you need at all times so you don't get frustrated, or worse, lose interest.

Edited by OTmikhail

@Beale i have find out... it is not the Part Database, it is dat the parachutes is missing realchute configuration to be a realchute, and it is some of the tantares chutes that is missing configuration (Return chute for vostok, high velocity cone chute/decoupler, docking chute...) i rightclicked the part in the editor and not as other parachutes it says ''parachute'' instead of ''realchute''. Do this issue happens to others?

Hey everybody, thanks for the feedback. I'm a little busy right now, but I will set up a full reply later.

The parachute issue is fixed for a short time now, I just need to push out an update.

Suggested Black Arrow fixes sadly have not worked, but I will release fins for Soyuz and Proton alike (Whatever "Proton fins" may look like in the first place is a mystery).

37 minutes ago, Beale said:

Hey everybody, thanks for the feedback. I'm a little busy right now, but I will set up a full reply later.

The parachute issue is fixed for a short time now, I just need to push out an update.

Suggested Black Arrow fixes sadly have not worked, but I will release fins for Soyuz and Proton alike (Whatever "Proton fins" may look like in the first place is a mystery).

Maybe the Proton could have grid fins?

Edited by NeoFatalis

13 minutes ago, NeoFatalis said:

Maybe the Proton could have grid fins?

Certainly a possibility! I quite like that idea.

I've also updated the van, to include in 1.1 release (with the new wheels).

45da54882d.jpg74bb77ae8c.pnge9133bae8a.jpg

Not only that, the Big-G has received some model work, but still needs to be textured...

46 minutes ago, Beale said:

Certainly a possibility! I quite like that idea.

I've also updated the van, to include in 1.1 release (with the new wheels).

45da54882d.jpg74bb77ae8c.pnge9133bae8a.jpg

Not only that, the Big-G has received some model work, but still needs to be textured...

what the minch*a is that? Beale you surprise me every day more!

8 minutes ago, tjsnh said:

FWIW on discussion of grid fins - if they were an individual part, as opposed to attached to something else, they'd be usable with the N1 also.

The soyuz can also use grid fins although they are installed on the fairing :(...

tumblr_mqddfh0B7m1s54kzho1_1280.jpg

4 hours ago, Beale said:

? Why FINS? Our protons have the same size and mine flies (in my humble opinion) absolutely problem free regarding to flipping. There should no fins needed for a rocket that shape and size.

Have you tried making the third stage a command pod and control from there? Mine is for realism sake and at least the control from the third stage during ascend greatly helps with wobble if you have a payload that is rather unstable at its own. Like discussed in this video. Maybe something like this might help you too.

4 hours ago, trooperMNG said:

what the minch*a is that? Beale you surprise me every day more!

Very old!

9d846a4b91.jpgb91f984a24.jpg0257f118c7.jpg

More old stuff.

Old Soyuz and Proton

220949f204.jpg74e4d2171b.jpg

Old LK on Phobos

a2efb518d4.jpg

Old Lunar base.

a09106864b.jpg

3 hours ago, tjsnh said:

FWIW on discussion of grid fins - if they were an individual part, as opposed to attached to something else, they'd be usable with the N1 also.

Yes! Very true.

2 hours ago, hanhan658 said:

Ehhh... @Beale the all the other parachutes work but the cone chute/decoupler, and my docking chute disappeared...

Huh?

I'm not sure what you mean.

1 hour ago, InsaneDruid said:

? Why FINS? Our protons have the same size and mine flies (in my humble opinion) absolutely problem free regarding to flipping. There should no fins needed for a rocket that shape and size.

Have you tried making the third stage a command pod and control from there? Mine is for realism sake and at least the control from the third stage during ascend greatly helps with wobble if you have a payload that is rather unstable at its own. Like discussed in this video. Maybe something like this might help you too.

Hmmm, I know vaguely of these control issues. Let me try out in-game.

130fe1331b.jpg110a90c443.jpg

Edited by Beale

A couple comments on various stuff being discussed :

That little car/bus/van looks great! Would be nice to have something like that to zip around KSC in, is it coming in a release?

Regarding all the talk of Fins - folks, KSP's physics engine has a rough time with finless rockets - always has, probably always will. I'm one of those folks who cares about "looks" on the launchers, so I generally just clip the fins into the fuel tanks so they can't be seen. They still function just fine, and you can't even tell the difference (visually). For launchers like the Proton etc , they often work fine without fins (depending on payload) but if you're REALLY having trouble just clip some small fins into the bottom of the first stage fuel tank and 90% of your problems will be solved - I promise.

The more I think about it, the more that a set of gridfins would make a great addition.

I get the black prince to orbit (craft file from the dropbox) without flipping, using full throttle without a problem. Just steer absolutely prograde during staging, and stage fast. This craft(file) has ZERO attitude control besides the stage1 and 2 engines gimbal, so any deviation HAS to result in a spin sooner or later.

If you slap on just the slightest amount of a flywheel then it can be launched single handed without paying attention to anything.