[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [16.1][28.05.2024][{Proton Revamp]

Beale

Very nice to hear! Thank you :)

Thank you for the documents, they can be helpful with this :)

• On scale, I'm going for the same proportions on the real one, based around a 1.25m scale for central tank + side tanks.
  • Fairings would probably be omitted, favouring procedural fairings (Though maybe I'll make a L.E.S.).
  • The engine would use a bespoke texture, unlike the tanks.
  • A "benchmark" would be its ability to deliver a Tantares to a 500km x 500km orbit. I think this is pretty capable without being over powered.

Example, compared with Salyut.

~schnippelschnip~

This Launcher is still a while off and I'm really just experimenting at the moment.

To be honest, it might struggle to compete with your stock Soyuz, in terms of features :wink:

haha ! but you can use my Stock Soyuz as a reference for scale. i tried to made it as accurate as possible. :D

Hey guys, I wanted to share a few little configs I made. Two of my favorite mod are Dangit! and Snacks. The thing is, by default I believe Dangit only adds spare parts to manned command modules, and Snacks only adds snacks to manned modules. This is a problem because the wonderful selection of supply ships in Tantares aren't of much use! What I've done is add spare parts and snacks to the Cappela, Pol, and Hamal.

I used the default figures that the mods add to the Tantares ship as a baseline. The defaults aren't really balanced, but I'll leave that to people more skilled than I to deal with. By default, Tantares comes with 200 snacks in the orbital module, and 100 of both snacks and spare parts in the crew module. So:

Hamal carries 200 snacks and 100 spare parts in its orbital module (it leaves out the hundred snacks in the crew module).

Pol carries half of that (100 snacks, 50 spare parts)

Capella carries five times as much as the Hamal (1,000 snacks, 500 spare parts)

l7Fftbn.png

6VWifYD.png

UzH3Frh.png

The only issue is that for some reason the flags aren't working on the Capella module. No idea why/how this happened, but at least it's not a big issue!

In any event, whether you are building a small station or a interplanetary vessel, you can now resupply it without risking kerbals!

Download Me!

Hey guys, I wanted to share a few little configs I made. Two of my favorite mod are Dangit! and Snacks. The thing is, by default I believe Dangit only adds spare parts to manned command modules, and Snacks only adds snacks to manned modules. This is a problem because the wonderful selection of supply ships in Tantares aren't of much use! What I've done is add spare parts and snacks to the Cappela, Pol, and Hamal.

I used the default figures that the mods add to the Tantares ship as a baseline. The defaults aren't really balanced, but I'll leave that to people more skilled than I to deal with. By default, Tantares comes with 200 snacks in the orbital module, and 100 of both snacks and spare parts in the crew module. So:

Hamal carries 200 snacks and 100 spare parts in its orbital module (it leaves out the hundred snacks in the crew module).

Pol carries half of that (100 snacks, 50 spare parts)

Capella carries five times as much as the Hamal (1,000 snacks, 500 spare parts)

http://i.imgur.com/l7Fftbn.png

http://i.imgur.com/6VWifYD.png

http://i.imgur.com/UzH3Frh.png

The only issue is that for some reason the flags aren't working on the Capella module. No idea why/how this happened, but at least it's not a big issue!

In any event, whether you are building a small station or a interplanetary vessel, you can now resupply it without risking kerbals!

Download Me!

Fantastic stuff! :D

The balance seems fine, last time I tried Dang' It the SpareParts were quite heavy (if I remember correctly?), so adding the full 500 will make the ATV heavy as a proper penalty.

It won't let me give you reputation, annoyingly...

Would you mind if I turn these into ModuleManager patches to include with the next release? (I.E. to be included as one of the "Tantares_Extra_X" files).

Edited by Beale

A few suggestions:

-For the Salyut parts, make them be able to do crew reports and make the largest one a science lab.

-Make all cargo parts (Cygnus, ATV, Progress) science containers. That way you can load up experiments for transfer to Kerbin (Cygnus especially works great with the TKS parachute below the docking port) or a science lab for processing.

Fantastic stuff! :D

The balance seems fine, last time I tried Dang' It the SpareParts were quite heavy (if I remember correctly?), so adding the full 500 will make the ATV heavy as a proper penalty.

It won't let me give you reputation, annoyingly...

Would you mind if I turn these into ModuleManager patches to include with the next release? (I.E. to be included as one of the "Tantares_Extra_X" files).

Hey, thanks! Glad you like it. And yes, I would be honored to have it included with the next release!

A few suggestions:

-For the Salyut parts, make them be able to do crew reports and make the largest one a science lab.

-Make all cargo parts (Cygnus, ATV, Progress) science containers. That way you can load up experiments for transfer to Kerbin (Cygnus especially works great with the TKS parachute below the docking port) or a science lab for processing.

Done and done!

I really do like the idea of science contents on the supply craft. Though on their own they can't survive re-entry, there's always heatshields.

The science lab would be handy, but I think a bit overpowered (when the stock module is so huge).

Hey, thanks! Glad you like it. And yes, I would be honored to have it included with the next release!

Done! :) Thanks!

That's the difficulties of this method. :(

Doing it a little more carefully yields better results.

The RAM payoff is tremendous (especially with stable 64-bit still seeming far away)

http://puu.sh/bspSp/aab7746ae4.jpg

This seems a better solution! TAC has been confusing somewhat, I don't have a lot of experience of doing missions with it that are longer than a few days. I'll give this a quick run around and probably replace the existing TAC config :)

Happy to help. If you are releasing any more parts that need a special config just send me a message and I'll fix something up for ya.

You can determine the science boost. If you make it less than the stock science lab, you can balance it out.

I didn't know that, I'll look into it! :)

Happy to help. If you are releasing any more parts that need a special config just send me a message and I'll fix something up for ya.

Very kind offer, thanks!

Thanks again for the ATV! My re-supply fleet is now complete :D

Real nice mission! The ISS replica is great!

I like your Soyuz concept, but there is a slight problem: its boosters are too big (Or 1st stage is too small...)

For the reference, the real stuff:

http://i.imgur.com/FXgysdx.jpg

(Not my photo, but my city. Yup, we've got a real space launcher right in the city center :D)

That's better than a cheese shop... Or whatever it is my home town can boast.

The side tanks were out of scale, thanks for alerting me to it! :)

Here's a basic design using the two tanks I made.

Still need some engines, I'm thinking some higher thrust ones over the stock 1.25m engines (Maybe around 320KN?)

606f8b6b3c.jpg

b25fd4078a.jpg

629a57ecad.jpg

Puts the Cygnus into a 100km by 900km orbit with a ton of fuel to spare!

The Dry/Mass ratio (or whatever the correct term is) is a little too cheating at the moment.

Edited by Beale

But doesn't Kerbal logic dictate that the boosters should be bigger? :P

I'll leave it to people to add rescaleFactor = 20 when it's released :)

Ah, the famous Korolev Mess. :sticktongue:

It needs work :D

The separation is so weak, if the rocket is pitched more than 20° or so, they usually end up blowing up the whole launcher.

Either I'm flying it wrong or I need some stronger decouplers.

The Polaris engine is perfect for a small Tantares rocket:

http://i.imgur.com/DXmFm6d.png

Those are a good fit, or at least the same style could be used!

I should update the Polaris sometime.

Edited by Beale

It needs work :D

The separation is so weak, if the rocket is pitched more than 20° or so, they usually end up blowing up the whole launcher.

Either I'm flying it wrong or I need some stronger decouplers.

It's a stock game bug introduced in 0.24.2 - decouplers doesn't work as intended on speeds below 750 m\s; at 751 m\s and more, they work fine.

It's a stock game bug introduced in 0.24.2 - decouplers doesn't work as intended on speeds below 750 m\s; at 751 m\s and more, they work fine.

It's the reverse, isn't it? They seem to work fine at lower speeds, but go completely nutty the faster you're going.

First I've heard of this! :confused:

Tested in orbit and separation seems to go right.

cfe87c0888.jpg

4da9d414a5.jpg

c074745edf.jpg

a9313332da.jpg

It's the reverse, isn't it? They seem to work fine at lower speeds, but go completely nutty the faster you're going.

Not sure what's the case. On a normal launch they just seem to "drop off" on separation (This happens with pretty much any design I make without seperatrons). When empty they're quite light, so surely they should "blast off" a bit more.

Edited by Beale

It's been my experience that radial decouplers just don't work at all in 0.24 (edit: more like 50% failure rate), especially if you've added struts to the part being decoupled. I've even encountered instances where stack decouplers don't, though that's usually in orbit.

Unsafe at any speed.

Anyway, the semyorka/soyuz-styled boosters so far look great. I'm wondering about recycling the stock textures though. Is it still possible to reskin those parts using the model {} attributes in the config files?

Not exactly. They seem (but only seem!) to be normal at low speeds (0-100 m\s). As your rocket going closer to 750 m/s, the decouplers become more nutty; if you try to activate them at, say, 749 m/s, they will not work. But, if you try to activate them at 751 m/s or more, they will work fine.

IIRC, this is related to old fix for Kraken; they fixed decoupler bug introduced in 0.24, but broke it in the process. 99 little bugs in the code...

My workaround for that is various sepratrons (Mk.IIs from StarShine pack are very useful for small radial boosters) and TweakableEverything (to set decoupler force to 0).

Anyway, the semyorka/soyuz-styled boosters so far look great. I'm wondering about recycling the stock textures though. Is it still possible to reskin those parts using the model {} attributes in the config files?

It's quite easy, but also quite awkward if you don't have knowledge of the UV unwrap positions.

For example, the texture is this:

4f6173fe68.jpg

But all this is used is this:

dbeb0b5dc8.jpg

Still not sure about the model {} method, but it's working okay so far