[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Things are happening]

Beale

It does that, but it's important to me that Tantares has zero dependancies. :)

oh, right I forgot that one needs firespitter.

Edit: would it be possible to do it on 2 parts? like an inflatable tube and the airlock itself as 2 separated things?

Edited by Invader_guy

Those are very practical advantages! (the Soviet lunar mission required multiple cosmonauts, and spacewalks) It also made Voskhod more capable than Gemini, which had dozens of studies about continued use and improvements.

Maybe I should rephrase what I am trying to say. Voskhod did have some advantages, such as multiple crew and the ability to perform spacewalks without de pressurizing the spacecraft. Gemini, however, had many more capabilities, such as being able to maneuver in orbit, dock, perform duration missions, etc. it's equipment module could be customized for different missions, and equipped with tools for astronauts to perform activities during spacewalks, instead of just floating around. Hell, the Reentry module was even better, because it allowed for controlled reentries, and throughout the program, NASA was able to perfect accurate landings with both manual and computer control.

So all in all, Gemini was a better ship to prepare humans for translunar missions and for living and working in space.

Heh, sorry, next time I'll try to make my rant more concise.

Ever tried to tweak the fuel in LF\OX tank? No? Try it. You'll quickly find out that with current GUI, it's almost impossible to set it exactly as you need.

The times I do are rare because I tend to over engineer but even then I haven't found it to be impossible. Lets try looking at this from a different angle then. I'm assuming you want the monoprop engine and radial tank combo for the ability to load up with exactly what you need but why do these parts have to come from vostok instead of the myriad of soviet probes and satellites that actually had mono prop engines and won't leave us with a head scratcher about what to do with the service module?

The times I do are rare because I tend to over engineer but even then I haven't found it to be impossible. Lets try looking at this from a different angle then. I'm assuming you want the monoprop engine and radial tank combo for the ability to load up with exactly what you need but why do these parts have to come from vostok instead of the myriad of soviet probes and satellites that actually had mono prop engines and won't leave us with a head scratcher about what to do with the service module?

That SM can hold some EC, making it a very useful early satellite bus.

first with the way tantares pods are balanced a size adapter full of batteries would be redundant.

now again why does it have to be vostok?

For pods, maybe. For a satellite full of SCANSat scanners, not so much.

And why it shouldn't be? At least "add as much tiny radial tanks as you need" model is somewhat different from "make another stage" or "add a bigger fuel tank", and it actually makes sense. You can easily add as much dV as you want, without having to rely on Squad's horrible tweakables GUI. (And it's kinda easy to tweak these small bubbles, since they have a small amount of monoprop).

I also like the Vostok monoprop engine and monoprop balls. These are great general purpose parts.

you can get the same parts from other soviet programs though shoehorning them into the vostok complicates it because you have to scrape around to justify what the rest of the service module does not to mention increasing the part count needed just to make a minimally functional craft

parachute->pod->decoupler->fuel tank/size adapter->engine

is simpler than

parachute->pod->decoupler->spammed radial tanks->???/cosmetic size adapter->engine

I still haven't seen a response to my problem, should I post somewhere else? The farshot engine is igniting on the launch pad without staging, please tell me how to fix! I have already re installed tantares to no avail, please advise

Tantares TMA + Fairings 0.3

Finally, I'm back! Here's the fully updated Tantares TMA; for the new Soyuz revamp. Also includes some new fairing shapes (edited Soyuz, new Angara), and 2 new Procedural Fairings textures!

Enjoy! Note that the descent modules blacken on reentry again. If you want I'll release a config that will eliminate that.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hcvgd73ud2on651/Tantares%20TMA%2BFairings%200.3.zip?dl=0

For pods, maybe. For a satellite full of SCANSat scanners, not so much.

And why it shouldn't be? At least "add as much tiny radial tanks as you need" model is somewhat different from "make another stage" or "add a bigger fuel tank", and it actually makes sense. You can easily add as much dV as you want, without having to rely on Squad's horrible tweakables GUI. (And it's kinda easy to tweak these small bubbles, since they have a small amount of monoprop).

It shouldn't because again the engine even describes itself as a bi-propellant motor, I asked you first, and also because monoprop makes the service module a niche part that isn't useful to the craft it was made for other than looks. I'm trying to minimize niche parts here I agree the mono engine and baubles combo sounds convenient for customs but these parts don't need to come from the vostok the radial tanks are not going anywhere and with the name change your old craft won't be broken so all you need is to find a different engine going forward perhaps from a soviet satellite or probe or another mod or even use the stock one.

I still haven't seen a response to my problem, should I post somewhere else? The farshot engine is igniting on the launch pad without staging, please tell me how to fix! I have already re installed tantares to no avail, please advise

I can confirm this behavior. Built a vessel using just the Stayputnik mk 1 and Farshot. Engine was active on launchpad without staging.

I can confirm this behavior. Built a vessel using just the Stayputnik mk 1 and Farshot. Engine was active on launchpad without staging.

Is it active, thrusting, whoosh? Or just the effect playing? I'll try to sit down and check on mine, but it's nearly bedtime here unfortunately. (That and computer troubles, blahblah I digress. :P )

Guys, guys. What about making Vostok dual-mode engine and roleplay that out?

Or, better. Keep the old monoprop engine (I godawful love how it sits on Hamal core!) and make new, LFO one? No funky buttons in the orbit to change engine mode! And LFO from service module can be just removed before start if you are set to use monoprop.

Also LFO bauble will be easier to tweak, useful for lots of other projects, they also can be added!

(And Voskhod can be just early low impact tolerate two-kerballed capsule designed to sit on Vostok engine, forget about three-crew version and limiting EVA. Or EVA impossibility with deflated airlock can be roleplayed. Or no airlock at all, it can be greebled from chutes and dockingports. I just want two kerballed spherical capsule and don't know how to edit IVAs).

Guys, guys. What about making Vostok dual-mode engine and roleplay that out?

an odd jury rigged solution it's bad enough we do that with the R7

Or, better. Keep the old monoprop engine (I godawful love how it sits on Hamal core!) and make new, LFO one? No funky buttons in the orbit to change engine mode! And LFO from service module can be just removed before start if you are set to use monoprop.
this is basically accomplished by naming the new vostok anything besides almach so that an update won't override the files, or maybe the old engine can be relabeled as a Castor part if it satisfies the other party
Also LFO bauble will be easier to tweak, useful for lots of other projects, they also can be added!
they still sound virtually useless to me without extra plugin dependencies or niche alternate flow mode engines
(And Voskhod can be just early low impact tolerate two-kerballed capsule designed to sit on Vostok engine, forget about three-crew version and limiting EVA. Or EVA impossibility with deflated airlock can be roleplayed. Or no airlock at all, it can be greebled from chutes and dockingports. I just want two kerballed spherical capsule and don't know how to edit IVAs).
that's easy just use the stock placeholder IVA and set the crew capacity to 2

an odd jury rigged solution it's bad enough we do that with the R7

this is basically accomplished by naming the new vostok anything besides almach so that an update won't override the files, or maybe the old engine can be relabeled as a Castor part if it satisfies the other party

they still sound virtually useless to me without extra plugin dependencies or niche alternate flow mode engines

that's easy just use the stock placeholder IVA and set the crew capacity to 2

Stop ruining my attemts at stopping derailment!

On serious note - well, yeah, I forgot about side-attached LFO tanks problem. Still if workaround is found, they should come very handy for smaller craft.

Stop ruining my attemts at stopping derailment!

On serious note - well, yeah, I forgot about side-attached LFO tanks problem. Still if workaround is found, they should come very handy for smaller craft.

I'm not sure how talking about ways to implement vostok is off topic, and its my opinion that what I've proposed is rather accommodating to the other side who prefers the status quo while further refining and reducing the craft to the simplest and most stockalike implementation possible. The baubles are still there in this plan they are simply not required which would be a boon to carreer users. If they actually took advantage of the convenience of using baubles it certainly wouldn't be for making a vostok anyway so the engine they use doesn't need to come from the vostok or have influence on its implementation. meanwhile by changing the name from almach the old parts won't be overwritten and no existing crafts wind up broken all that is left is finding an alternate engine such as the ones from the TKS, Gemini, fobus-grunt, and cygnus assuming the original or a replacement isn't officially provided in future downloads

Sorry, not off-topic, but I don't know how to call it. I just got impression that none of sides gonna to get their positions lost. And renaming Vostok files wouldn't keep engine in the next releases, so I can see their concern with it. I personally will be okay either way, to be honest, just don't want people getting mad at each other for game piece. Sorry if my attempts were unfortunate.

Good God! Want! Want! Gimme plox! PLOX!

Now that I've vented my hype:

Truly good-looking, I'd take it right now, but I guess you're still trying to add some greeble?

I don't very comfortable to ask (I'm already overly enthusiastic whenever Vostok comes up), but... can the straps and umbilical be considered for both the Shariks' (Vostok's and Zenith's) greeble?

I don't very comfortable to ask (I'm already overly enthusiastic whenever Vostok comes up), but... can the straps and umbilical be considered for both the Shariks' (Vostok's and Zenith's) greeble?

Have you considered using the V-RE 'Needle' Antenna as a stand in?

I made a quick mock up and it works surprisingly well. Plus it's already animated!

fUcC2nc.png

AFAIK, you need a special plugin for an animated decoupler to work.