[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Things are happening]

Beale

Interesting ideas :)

A grand total of eight!

Enough to do some really quite funky things. And yes the 0.9375m remains alongside 0.625m.

Love that concept! Great idea :)

Those adapters would be really great in general.

I have some thoughts on thermal fabric, it can look good - but, is it "canon"? I can scratch my head, but it doesn't seem to exist the Kerbal universe (There's the Kapton foil, but that's a little different), so my current thermal fabric parts look out of place.

Just a strange thought.

On SM, do you mean the side ports?

I forgot this was a thing also!

Ugly Ugly Ugly

Maybe this is the case, I think it is currently much underloved.

The fleet in formation!

Adapter?

Progress: The fleet is looking good! What decoupler should be used between the command block and the SM? Do you still have the model for the old Soyuz truss structure decoupler?

Service Module: Yep. The side ports. They're actually translation thrusters. You've already got some thrusters facing in the -Z direction, right?

Pirs/Poisk: Exactly it! How does that look in 0.9375m?

Fuji: One of the first Tantares parts I ever used! Fond memories. I think you should really take liberties with Fuji and go nuts. The spacecraft never became more than a proposal and an artist's concept. There's a lot you could pull from the HTV, as well as some inspiration from Eyes Turned Skywards.

Cygnus Revamp: On hold for a bit. Exams. Still looking for input from everyone on how they like it, and what they'd change.

Fuji: One of the first Tantares parts I ever used! Fond memories. I think you should really take liberties with Fuji and go nuts. The spacecraft never became more than a proposal and an artist's concept. There's a lot you could pull from the HTV, as well as some inspiration from Eyes Turned Skywards.

Ack! spoilers! I'm only on the start of part 3 dude! /jk :D

I'd agree with the whole "delving into the what if" mentality for The fuji since it never existed in hardware form and looking at any concept made into reality one can see that the concept can change a lot by the time its a real payload. Meshing elements from the real world HTV is especially plausible and believable.

One other idea to think about is configuring it to land as a lenticular craft (like some of the early Apollo concepts) since it has that saucer shape in which case landings would be less parachute and more glide, and grind (I forget did kipler tests prove this to not be viable in ksp?)

I fully support this idea! Something about those alternate history/proposal only spacecraft really interests me, and personally I've always loved the Fuji.

Also the Progress revamp is looking great. Looks like this mod has been making some real...progress.

(I'll show myself out).

Beale, just curious, why don't you make a 3 crewed Soyuz? Can you explain that? The TMA is a 3 crewed Soyuz, so why don't you use that?

Firstly, if you put the Kerbals in the Soyuz, side by side, 3 Kerbals just looks way too cramped. Without helmets, they miiiiight fit, but it's just not practical. I'll try and find a drawing someone made showing why this can't be.

Secondly, it messes with the balance of the game. You shouldn't be able to launch three Kerbals in one capsule so early in the tech tree.

I'm liking the no-neck parts! :)

Once 1.1 rolls out I'll be back playing KSP, already have figured out how I'm gonna build my new sci-fi designs with Tantares' parts without having to worry about command pod's shape and size. I'll just stick a command pod with decent amount of RPM screens inside the hull and have airlock or two outside the hull! :D Beale, sorry for ranting last time about my need for lots of RPM screens (I was quite depressed that day). Wouldn't want my favorite mod-maker to hate or dislike me.

Enhanced Cygnus is done!

I changed the top of the SM to be 1.875m, thus officially eliminating 1.5m as a number to be concerned about. Shown with 1.875m ESA Minotaur. (Note, old engine FX)

yPEeXQtl.png

The bottom of the Cygnus PCM is now 1.25m, which makes it more versatile. This is covered up when you attach the SM.

1VA7oOz.png

The SM now has two top nodes. One for normal attachment to 1.875m parts, and another a little deeper specifically for the Cygnus PCM. Fits like a glove.

MO4WhS3.png

New engine FX to match all the other mono prop engines in Tantares.

z0GjnSf.png

As for the old 0.625m, what do you all think? How about conversion into a Lunar probe part? What ever happened to the Luna Glob idea?

XWL1LUL.jpgyrhcyavl.jpg

Opinions? What do you guys want?

Edited by curtquarquesso

Enhanced Cygnus is done!

I changed the top of the SM to be 1.875m, thus officially eliminating 1.5m as a number to be concerned about. Shown with 1.875m ESA Minotaur. (Note, old engine FX)

http://i.imgur.com/yPEeXQtl.png

The bottom of the Cygnus PCM is now 1.25m, which makes it more versatile. This is covered up when you attach the SM.

http://i.imgur.com/1VA7oOz.png

The SM now has two top nodes. One for normal attachment to 1.875m parts, and another a little deeper specifically for the Cygnus PCM. Fits like a glove.

http://i.imgur.com/MO4WhS3.png

New engine FX to match all the other mono prop engines in Tantares.

http://i.imgur.com/z0GjnSf.png

As for the old 0.625m, what do you all think? How about conversion into a Lunar probe part? What ever happened to the Luna Glob idea?

http://i.imgur.com/XWL1LUL.jpg http://i.imgur.com/yrhcyavl.jpg

Opinions? What do you guys want?

Nice stuff :cool:

Lunar Glob idea... I'm currently working on Fregat. Should be a good help for Glob design.

ee6a374839.jpg

Really love your work! Are there screenies of the IVAs somewhere/how many of the cockpits have IVAs?

There are only 7 crewed parts with IVAs currently :)

All those orbital modules and cones really remind me of german pulp science fiction. :D

Heh! I like it.