[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Things are happening]

Beale

7 hours ago, Beale said:

Do you have some secret info? :D 

Well, okay. Since there's nothing about it in English wiki:

It was assumed that there will be operated a whole launch vehicles family based on N-1 design, including the N-1F forced version and the modified N-1M with LOX/LH2 engines and higher payload mass, smaller versions like N-11 (three middle stages of N-1 - blocks B, V and G) and N-111 (third and fourth stages, V and G), and in further perspective - some bigger launch vehicles N-2, N-3 and N-4, wich were the two lower stages of N-1 rocket on top of an even more powerful first stages.

N-111, N-11 and N-1 rockets
fde97a36f531.jpg

No pics of N-2,-3,-4, sorry)

Edited by Legcutter

9 minutes ago, Legcutter said:

It was assumed that there will be operated a whole launch vehicles family based on N-1 design, including the N-1F forced version and the modified N-1M with LOH/LH2 engines and higher payload mass, smaller versions of N-11 (three middle stages of N-1 - blocks B, V and G) and N-111 (third and fourth stages, V and G), and in further perspective - some bigger launch vehicles N-2, N-3 and N-4, wich were the two lower stages of N-1 rocket on top of an even more powerful first stages.

Any more details on the N-1F and N-1M? They sound interesting!

30 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Any more details on the N-1F and N-1M? They sound interesting!

N-1F was a N-1 version with modified engines - NK-33 eigines instead of NK-15 on the first stage, NK-43 (high altitude model of NK-33) instead of NK-15V on the second stage, NK-31 instead of NK-21 on the third stage and NK-19 instead of NK-9V on the fourth stage. This rocket could make it to low orbit with 100 tons of payload, instead of N-1's 90 tons (34 tons instead of 31 to the Moon).

N-1M was a project with LOX\LH2 engines and 155-175 tons of payload to low orbit. These engines were mever made, though.

Edited by Legcutter

1 minute ago, Legcutter said:

N-1F was a N-1 version with modified engines - NK-33 eigines instead of NK-15 on the first stage, NK-43 (high altitude model of NK-33) instead of NK-15 on the second stage, NK-31 instead of NK-21 on the third stage and NK-19 instead of NK-9V on the fourth stage. This rocken can make it to low orbit with 100 tons of payload, instead of N-1's 90 tons (34 tons instead of 31 to the Moon).

N-1M was a project with LOX\LH2 engines and 155-175 tons of payload to low orbit. These engines were mever made, though.

Oh? I thought the N1 engines WERE NK-33?

18 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Oh? I thought the N1 engines WERE NK-33?

Nope)

NK-15 is a NK-33's father, a little less powerful and anvanced. It was specially designed for N-1 rocket and it was used in all four launches of N-1.
Also there were NK-15V model for high altitude and NK-15F with amplified trust.

Edited by Legcutter

Just now, Legcutter said:

NK-15 is a NK-33's father, a little less powerful and anvanced. It was designet for N-1 and uses in all four launches.
Also there were NK-15V for high altitude and NK-15F with ampiofied trust.

But then why did they have a warehouse full of NK-33s? Did they make them for N-1 and never use them?

12 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

But then why did they have a warehouse full of NK-33s? Did they make them for N-1 and never use them?

They did make them for further N-1F launches alongside with two complete N-1F vehicles, and then soviet Lunar program was cancelled by Glushko (N-1 hater) and the N-1 program folloved, and these vehicles were destroyed.

Engines should be destroyed too, but Kuznetsov managed to save them.

Edited by Legcutter

15 hours ago, Legcutter said:

It was assumed that there will be operated a whole launch vehicles family based on N-1 design, including the N-1F forced version and the modified N-1M with LOX/LH2 engines and higher payload mass, smaller versions like N-11 (three middle stages of N-1 - blocks B, V and G) and N-111 (third and fourth stages, V and G), and in further perspective - some bigger launch vehicles N-2, N-3 and N-4, wich were the two lower stages of N-1 rocket on top of an even more powerful first stages.

fde97a36f531.jpg

That's amazing info!

Thanks a lot!

18 hours ago, Danny88 said:

So I haven't really been following the thread. Does the interim fix fix the Tantares LV download as well?

As of yet, no, but it should work okay? :) 

17 hours ago, DBowman said:

Thanks very much for the mod. So far I've played around with Soyuz in RO - it looks great.

The orbiter mass doesn't seem to match some references I have ( e.g. spaceflight 101 though different parts of that page don't even match each other ). The total orbiter ripped off one of the RO craft files I think is too heavy and the Propulsion Module is 2360 kg and not enough propellent kg vs 2900 kg I expected. I'm guessing that the part really is matching Soyuz 7K (which has 500 kg fuel vs TMA 800 kg) ?

Do you know what's the best reference for Soyuz MS (the current version) and what's the best way for me to make / get the parts - I'm comfortable creating .cfgs. Maybe (probably?) they already exist, if not I'm not sure the best way to make them so I can 'share them back' - copy rename to the MS version? and it could be merged to RO?

:( I forgot to click 'notify me of replies' so pls quote or @ me.

@DBowman if you ahve RO configs they are very welcome. Sadly I am not much help for this.

28 minutes ago, NeoFatalis said:

http://www.astronautix.com/n/n1.html

This page has Huge amount of info ,including pictures and info about all the purposed versions of it:)

Even better!

26 minutes ago, VenomousRequiem said:

All of the nozzles for pretty much everything on N1 so far look way over-expanded... I feel the bottom of the nozzle should be thinner in diameter. 

Maybe, some of the drawings I am going from are not great.

This can always be fixed!

Under 20% taper
Right 30% taper

T5kYWB8.png

6 minutes ago, Joeybafoey said:

Looks great! I always did feel that the old one was a bit off scale. and angles were a little off.

Sadly it will always be a little off, it does not fit very well into standard sizes.

1 minute ago, Third_OfFive said:

Hey Beale, once you are finished with the N1, could you start doing IVA's?

I know you said you don't have the time, but if I were to help by doing the modelling, would you?

Do the modelling, texturing and configs (The configs take more time than both combined) and sure :) 

I kid, but the modelling is the smallest issue for IVAs

3 minutes ago, Third_OfFive said:

I can do modelling, and configs

texturing is the big issue

It is a very big problem, IVAs require very high texel density to look good, it means:

• Have huge textures.
  • Or blurry IVAs
  • Or bake lightmaps (I don't know how to do this very well).

2 minutes ago, Beale said:

It is a very big problem, IVAs require very high texel density to look good, it means:

• Have huge textures.
  • Or blurry IVAs
  • Or bake lightmaps (I don't know how to do this very well).

Well the thing is I suck at texturing, let alone replicating your style.

If you don't want to do it, that's ok. I just think that Tantares feels kind of incomplete without IVAs, and it would be really cool if we could arrange something to make it happen.

10 minutes ago, Third_OfFive said:

Well the thing is I suck at texturing, let alone replicating your style.

If you don't want to do it, that's ok. I just think that Tantares feels kind of incomplete without IVAs, and it would be really cool if we could arrange something to make it happen.

I am very sorry to be stubborn on this issue, but it is only two ways to do it:

• Somebody else does everything (Who knows, somebody might enjoy IVAs!).
  • I continue to make them very slowly.
Edited by Beale