[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Things are happening]

Beale

Have you considered using the V-RE 'Needle' Antenna as a stand in?

I made a quick mock up and it works surprisingly well. Plus it's already animated!

http://i.imgur.com/fUcC2nc.png

Wow, looks perfect! Thanks!
AFAIK, you need a special plugin for an animated decoupler to work.
I wasn't talking for real animation, in fact, they can be just shrouds (it's okay for straps to float in space after detachment)... or not even shrouds, just some additions to capsule mesh. There was something like that in HGR Soyuz (and BobCat's Soyuz, but not sure if that one employed any plugins).

But Needle already looks better than fuelline anyway.

Edited by nothingSpecial

The Vostok discussion is getting a bit chaotic, again folks - be nice to each other!

I still haven't seen a response to my problem, should I post somewhere else? The farshot engine is igniting on the launch pad without staging, please tell me how to fix! I have already re installed tantares to no avail, please advise

I did respond to your problem, and advised what you should try, which you've already done yourself, I'll check out the problem myself and try to reproduce - @Gristle - thanks!

Tantares TMA + Fairings 0.3

Finally, I'm back! Here's the fully updated Tantares TMA; for the new Soyuz revamp. Also includes some new fairing shapes (edited Soyuz, new Angara), and 2 new Procedural Fairings textures!

Enjoy! Note that the descent modules blacken on reentry again. If you want I'll release a config that will eliminate that.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hcvgd73ud2on651/Tantares%20TMA%2BFairings%200.3.zip?dl=0

Very nice! Glad to see this back available! :)

Is this a new link? I can update the front page.

f74e917e2b.jpg

I don't very comfortable to ask (I'm already overly enthusiastic whenever Vostok comes up), but... can the straps and umbilical be considered for both the Shariks' (Vostok's and Zenith's) greeble?

I'll see what can be achieved by texture / etc. Maybe :)

Good God! Want! Want! Gimme plox! PLOX!

Now that I've vented my hype:

Truly good-looking, I'd take it right now, but I guess you're still trying to add some greeble?

Many thanks!

Well, it is gradually getting there, but yes - I would like to add a bit of stuff. Still, what you see is not far off final :)

Edited by Beale

Those spherical tanks are looking nice!

Will the new Vostok parachute be a different size than the old one? Because that parachute finds its way into almost every one of my space station designs. They work great to cap off unused attacent points on the node part, and I even use the chute to cover the hatches on other parts. Placing it on the end of the Venera science thing makes a great expirement airlock, or an EVA airlock on Voskhod craft.

The Vostok parachute is precious to me.

Those spherical tanks are looking nice!

Will the new Vostok parachute be a different size than the old one? Because that parachute finds its way into almost every one of my space station designs. They work great to cap off unused attacent points on the node part, and I even use the chute to cover the hatches on other parts. Placing it on the end of the Venera science thing makes a great expirement airlock, or an EVA airlock on Voskhod craft.

The Vostok parachute is precious to me.

Thanks! :)

Don't worry, it hasn't escaped my attention that this part in particular finds a lot of use. I'll keep the node-points the same.

I can confirm that I'm also getting the bug where the Farshot engine activates without staging, however it doesn't seem to produce any thrust until you actually stage it but it wastes fuel and creates smoke and engine effects.

Yup.

What an awful bug, I'll try to find the the problem in the config (I presume).

How-To-Fix: It's caused by "ModuleResourceConverter" (Or similarly named). Delete that from config in the time before I can create a new update.

5748f601ae.jpg

Edited by Beale

That Vostok is lookin good. I like the new green color.

Also, will the external monopropellant tanks get replaced?

Also+, do you remember when you said that the Ariane SRB's gimbal could be good for shuttles? As it turns out, they are! (when in giant overpowered clusters of course)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

@beale it's a new link. I'll be updating it shortly with the Farshot and no blackening fix.

EDIT: To anyone who installed Tantares TMA

Uninstall and redownload it, I added a couple bugfixes, plus TAC, RT2, RealChutes, and KIS compatibility!

Edited by planeguy868

Also+, do you remember when you said that the Ariane SRB's gimbal could be good for shuttles? As it turns out, they are! (when in giant overpowered clusters of course)

http://imgur.com/a/bSjrc

You sir, are insane. You used... Ion thrusters... To put that thing in Synchronous Orbit? That's ridiculous. Tell me, how long did the burn take?

You show me cool mission, I give you rep. We have deal.

You sir, are insane. You used... Ion thrusters... To put that thing in Synchronous Orbit? That's ridiculous. Tell me, how long did the burn take?

Sign me in aswell.

Great mission!

http://imgur.com/a/bSjrc

Thanks!

Yep, those tanks will have replacements, but since they are radial and share the same node, no save breaking (in 99% of cases I hope!).

Your shuttle mission is fantastic! What a beast of a payload! :)

Thanks for the fix!, oh Great and powerful Beale

Not a problem really!

I should have tested the fuel cell functionality to have caught this...

Parachute

ac16a3973c.jpg

786f83f7d8.jpg

05b5d00654.jpg

For some reason after launching a mission and reloading a quicksave after an accident, the CAPELLA on the ship seems to have gotten smaller. I know the V-2 probe has this issue too. Is there any way to fix this?

Holy cow that satellite is pure genius gooddog15 ! :D
gooddog15 : OMG.... : Rolleyes:

Thanks.

surprisingly, only 30 minutes. 25 minutes for getting up there, 5 minutes making adjustments. The scary thing about it is that I nearly ran out Xexon.

Also there is a good reason why I used Ion thrusters. Large motors would make the antenna flex around and break stuff.

(in reality I forgot to get large motors, and the only thing I had was Ion engines)

Sign me in aswell.

Great mission!

Thanks!

Thanks!

Yep, those tanks will have replacements, but since they are radial and share the same node, no save breaking (in 99% of cases I hope!).

Your shuttle mission is fantastic! What a beast of a payload! :)

YAY! That's a big sigh of relief. I use those tanks alot for satellites.

Also thanks!

For some reason after launching a mission and reloading a quicksave after an accident, the CAPELLA on the ship seems to have gotten smaller. I know the V-2 probe has this issue too. Is there any way to fix this?

It's a rescaling bug inherent to Squad parts. I'm on mobile now, but I'll post a tutorial to fix it shortly.

huh? is the parachute being broken into two parts? are you adding yet another size?

also do you still plan to test what the vostok looks like with a straight instead of a tapered decoupler?

That's the parachute cap, not a separate part :)

I tried the straight vs. tapered decoupler - I really do think the tapered has the best appearance.

0c0ae910fa.jpg

Oh, by the way, now that you're re-making the Vostok, you may want to increase the amount of drag the parachute produces, I've lost Jeb multiple times before because the chute only reduces speed to 11m/s and the capsule has a crash resistance of 10m/s.

Oh, by the way, now that you're re-making the Vostok, you may want to increase the amount of drag the parachute produces, I've lost Jeb multiple times before because the chute only reduces speed to 11m/s and the capsule has a crash resistance of 10m/s.

Thanks for pointing that out -

I'll up the drag and the capsule's crash tolerance is now 25m/s.

Getting closer now...

d772c94eca.jpg

a2e4d852fe.jpg

74e4542adb.jpg

d5eca918e8.jpg

311dfcfee1.jpg

Edited by Beale

That's the parachute cap, not a separate part :)

I tried the straight vs. tapered decoupler - I really do think the tapered has the best appearance.

http://puu.sh/ivl5z/0c0ae910fa.jpg

understandable in the same way a gundam model looks nicer than a lego set but what about when the decoupler is used on parts other than vostok? if it only looks good alongside one part then it is essentially a niche kit part.

as for the parachute and its second life as a decorative endcap/nosecone I had a thought. what if you made a second one that was just a nose cone that would free the vostok one to get those hookie things like the real one presuming the look good kerbalized

EDIT: concerns about kit parts aside I do think you are doing an excellent job and that its coming together really well :)

Edited by passinglurker

understandable in the same way a gundam model looks nicer than a lego set but what about when the decoupler is used on parts other than vostok? if it only looks good alongside one part then it is essentially a niche kit part.

as for the parachute and its second life as a decorative endcap/nosecone I had a thought. what if you made a second one that was just a nose cone that would free the vostok one to get those hookie things like the real one presuming the look good kerbalized

EDIT: concerns about kit parts aside I do think you are doing an excellent job and that its coming together really well :)

Thanks!

It's a valid concern, but honestly it works quite well as a general part, at least as I can tell:

0.9375m Parts

If it wasn't tapered here, there would be Z-fighting.

d7c863dda1.jpg

0.625m Parts

44d6ca6e25.jpg

a33ac5930e.jpg

1.25m Parts

df299174be.jpg

Parachute / cap thing - that might be a good way of handle it.

Edited by Beale

Thanks!

It's a valid concern, but honestly it works quite well as a general part, at least as I can tell:

0.9375m Parts

If it wasn't tapered here, there would be Z-fighting.

http://puu.sh/ivmMv/d7c863dda1.jpg

0.625m Parts

http://puu.sh/ivmMY/44d6ca6e25.jpg

http://puu.sh/ivmNn/a33ac5930e.jpg

1.25m Parts

http://puu.sh/ivmO3/df299174be.jpg

Parachute / cap thing - that might be a good way of handle it.

I see z-fighting would be an issue... but why not align the attachment nodes for the pod and decoupler at the visual top of the decoupler instead? the 0.9m para-coupler has straight sides and it doesn't seem to have any z-fighting issues. If you used the decoupler as it is now to make a 0.9m rocket it would feel like you are improvising in a funky size adapter instead of a part built for decoupling similar to the impression one gets using the old vostok decoupler once you get over its massive weight. Basically if it's gonna be a stock-a-like decoupler then ideally it would to look like a decoupler by following similar visual clues to the parts purpose from when you pull it out of the catalog to when you attach it even your para-couplers follow similar visual clues to each other being straight sided with a protruding bulbous cap.