KSP 64bits on Windows (this time, it's not a request)

Lilleman

How does the 64-bits version of KSP work for you?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. How does the 64-bits version of KSP work for you?

• It worked with no or minor glitches/bugs with DirectX
    • It worked with no or minor glitches/bugs with OpenGL
    • None, it crashed/caused major game breaking/is unplayable.

Anyone else having crash problems while trying to attach some landing leg in SPH?

Mine is crashing, consistently and reproducibly, when I press the launch button in the VAB. It does the scene flash that everyone is getting, then I have a screen of empty space with the stars background, and my navball says orbit, and the sound file for "you just got to the launch pad" of whistling wind plays on a loop.

It doesn't crash, it just freezes. And not the program, just the scene. I can press ESC and bring up the menu and go back to space center, I just can't launch anything. Even tried it with a 3 part ship, just in case.

Really unfortunate... I suppose I have to go back and figure out which mod isn't working.

hey Jordan, did you perform a clean install prior to moving the x64 unity player an mono.dll in to your game?

Took me over 1.5 hours to track it down. It was TweakScale in conjunction with Interstellar.

a fix that work for me:

1) backup your ksp folder

2) follow the steps here http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/82118-KSP-64bits-on-Windows-%28this-time-it-s-not-a-request%29

3) copy all the folders presents in ...\Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\windows64standaloneplayer\Data in ...\KSP_Data (overwrite all)

4) copy the folders Gles2 - Gles3 - Managed presents in...Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\windows64standaloneplayer\Data\ in KSP_Data (overwrite all)

i use directx 9. Hope this will help

a fix that work for me:

1) backup your ksp folder

2) follow the steps here http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/82118-KSP-64bits-on-Windows-%28this-time-it-s-not-a-request%29

3) copy all the folders presents in ...\Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\windows64standaloneplayer\Data in ...\KSP_Data (overwrite all)

4) copy the folders Gles2 - Gles3 - Managed presents in...Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\windows64standaloneplayer\Data\ in KSP_Data (overwrite all)

i use directx 9. Hope this will help

Do you think this would help with the decoupler issue?

KSP is freezing in opengl or DX when I enable high timewarp > 100x. Using the 64bit unity.dll just makes the game even more unstable. I'm about to call 64bit KSP a bust. It's just as unstable if not more. At least 32bit worked if you did not go crazy on mods.

Pushed the screen resolution upto 1080p and now after the load screen, i get the loading icon bottom right, with a blank screen for about 1 minute, then audio bugs creep in with the start screen song and then it causes my computer to freeze. Now crawling through files to drop the resolution back down.

::edit:: computer freezes at 1080x and 1684x900, going to monitor RAM load as i scale the window up from 1024x768 and report back.

Yeah.... No... It's repeatedly glitching and causing my computer to freeze and 1x BSOD too. Looks like I'm out guys :/

Edited by Crashy_McSplodey

KSP is freezing in opengl or DX when I enable high timewarp > 100x. Using the 64bit unity.dll just makes the game even more unstable. I'm about to call 64bit KSP a bust. It's just as unstable if not more. At least 32bit worked if you did not go crazy on mods.

This is one of the reasons Squad aren't distributing a 64-bit executable with the game yet.

It took me a long, long time, but I finally got this to function. I was trying to extract the new files from the unity installer, rather than copying from the installed client. For whatever reason, for me the extracted files were different from the installed, and it would not work. It is entirely possible I was doing something incorrectly with the extraction. If you are having issues, try copying from the installed unity client.

Hello everyone!

It's been a week now since my last modification on the first post, and I would like to thank all the people who take some time to try this and to leave some comments.

It seems that the ratio for "usable with no major glitches with directX", is stable around 66%. Also, some recurrent glitches have been found, so there is probably some updates to make to this thread.

I'm looking (again) for ideas/things that need to be added to the first post, and maybe a new poll to make the troubleshooting easier.

On my side, I found a recurrent glitch that cause the game to crash, and the solution, who can't be applied yet, sadly(but a workaround):

Due to a bug in Unity and it's way to handle PhysX, somes meshes collisions causes the application to crash.

This can be reproduced with any rocket by using at least one AV-T1 Winglet. The game will then crash randomly, in the VAB or during flight (it can also occur after several launches), leaving in the error.log:"Read from location ffffffff caused an access violation.", and in output_log.txt "(0x000000014088C91C) (KSP): (filename not available): NxCreateCoreSDK + 0xd390c"

Now the only information I have on this problem is this thread: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/hybridobbcollider-crash-issue-in-x64-standalone-player.224486/ , that seems to indicate the problem can be solved by upgrading Unity to version 4.5.x. (no fix to expect with 23.5)

This also means this error could appear with another part. For now (and for me), it only occur when using a AV-T1 Winglet, but every others parts are fine.

Lazy workaround: don't use AV-T1 Winglet if you find "(0x000000014088C91C) (KSP): (filename not available): NxCreateCoreSDK + 0xd390c" in a crash report.

Edited by Lilleman

The 64-bit install of my game has started crashing on loading with a memory access violation. I can't figure out how this is possible, the game barely uses 2 gigs of my 16 total gigs of RAM.

EDIT: got it, I pinned the icon to the taskbar and apparently when you do that it defaults to the exec and not the shortcut. It was launching in d3d9 mode, which causes crashes for me.

EDIT2: Scratch that, it was launching in OpenGL mode the whole time, but that's started causing crashes for me. Reverting to D3D9 mode.

EDIT4: It crashes on D3D9, as expected. Since OpenGL won't work and D3D11 has visual glitches, this is now unplayable for me. :(

Edited by AlternNocturn

Not sure, but I guess DirectX try to write or read in a location already used by another application. A software issue.

Have you tried to update your graphic card's drivers? Try Directx11 or OpenGL?

For me the game sometimes crashes once I get into the flight, but other times it works rock-stable for 6+hrs. It only seems to crash during scene transitions, so once I get mission going I can fly it for as long as I please without any issues. And it allowed me to use super-HD texture/normal map for the Earth (I play with RSS) so it looks just amazing!

I had to remove Engine Ignitor since it caused a lot of crashes and spammed NullRef' all over the place (same is in 32bit BTW - it just doesn't cause crashes there).

Not sure, but I guess DirectX try to write or read in a location already used by another application. A software issue.

Have you tried to update your graphic card's drivers? Try Directx11 or OpenGL?

Ah, I'm an idiot, I re-read the OP and it's probably a mod causing problems. I have up-to-date drivers and I'm already using OpenGL. D3D11 works but with graphical problems. Might have to use lower res EVE textures.