Saturbo V [Version 2.0] -- Detailed Apollo Replica (NEW RELEASE - Only 381 parts!)

Be sure that my goal is not to offense anyone :)

It was just about to say something else than obvious "congrats" and "kudos". And I totally agree with you since I'm using part clipping with some limits and without F12 options! But I use to avoid any fusion of technical parts such as engines, spam intake of inclusion of tanks. Mass is still here, yup, but this is all about dealing with design, aesthetic aspects, and parts shapes. In this particular case I would recommend to remove a logical amount of fuel in tanks, which has maybe be done by the OP, I do not know !

Well let's say that every one has its vision of KSP! I don't want to criticize, only get some extra information since I also use aesthetic tips and mount ;)

My mistake then if it sounded harsh. I'm french so maybe my expressions lack of nuance :P

Thanks for the feedback. I have actually removed a lot of fuel from the tanks to get a reasonable TWR on liftoff. I haven't done any sort of calculations, but based on the amount of fuel that I've removed, it's possible that the clipped areas do not actually provide an unrealistic fuel volume. The other thing I would point to is that the arrangement of tanks is supposed to represent a 6.4m cylindrical structure. Since's it's not perfectly cylindrical due to game constraints, there is some extra volume there, albeit imaginary. Here's an MS Paint representation of the tank structure, showing the "imaginary" tank space shaded in grey.

wFRpftW.png

My main goal here was to create something with the size and scale of the real Saturn V, while functioning very closely like the real thing. The real Saturn V would make quick work of KSP's tiny scale, so I had to make some compromises to keep things believable within the KSP context.

I actually am a bit disappointed that I had to resort to clipping two Mainsails together for each of the F1 engines in the first stage. Thanks to ARM, there is an engine in-game that would be able to pull off the lifting capabilities I needed: the KR-2L Advanced Engine. Unfortunately, I couldn't get that engine to look right in terms of scale. I'm willing to consider releasing an alternate version with those engines so I can have a less "cheating" version of this craft. It would also have the benefit of reducing the parts count.

Beautiful :) Truly beautiful.

My main goal here was to create something with the size and scale of the real Saturn V

It looks for me to be too large. It's a good 2:1 scale if not more (2.5:1?) Just compare the size of single capsule with the lander.

But IMHO it doesn't matter. For a right looks it had to be upscaled, and it looks: truly magnificent :) Accomplishment worth even more praise as you done all in stock. It's one of the most awesome things I seen in KSP.

Beautiful :) Truly beautiful.

It looks for me to be too large. It's a good 2:1 scale if not more (2.5:1?) Just compare the size of single capsule with the lander.

But IMHO it doesn't matter. For a right looks it had to be upscaled, and it looks: truly magnificent :) Accomplishment worth even more praise as you done all in stock. It's one of the most awesome things I seen in KSP.

It's actually 64% the size of the real thing. I made sure that the scale was consistent throughout, although I'll admit the S-IVB is slightly too small in diameter because I didn't want to waste a bunch of parts making up the difference between 3.75m and 4.224m.

That's a bit harsh Dakitess. Gus has used 'design techniques' to create a complex and very clever Apollo replica. Using part clipping is not a cheat.

You still have the same mass issues and it also throws up a lot of other issues making it not an easy solution. And as far as I'm aware "cheating" is defined as

gaining an advantage or to make something easier. Part clipping does none of those things.

Oh and Gus, that fairing is glorious. A work of art mate.

@Majorjim Don't worry he's French :-D

@Dakitess. How is it cheating? From experience I expect he had to lose some fuel, so i'am sure as MJ said that there is no cheating involved. You still need to push all the weight to orbit.. this time it just looks good. I work with Engineers and as an Architect I can tell you.. 'it ain't pretty'..

Beautiful replica!

However, I seem to have a problem (saturbo V v1.21 in 0.24 with no mods) with the TR-18A stack decoupler between the CSM and LEM, not quite the same as reported earlier. I have tried a lot of different sequences, but the decoupler always remains attached to the nozzle of the CSM main engine and cancels the thrust from this.

Beautiful replica!

However, I seem to have a problem (saturbo V v1.21 in 0.24 with no mods) with the TR-18A stack decoupler between the CSM and LEM, not quite the same as reported earlier. I have tried a lot of different sequences, but the decoupler always remains attached to the nozzle of the CSM main engine and cancels the thrust from this.

You SHOULD be able to eject that decoupler with the mouse pointer. I worked for me the last time I tried it. Can't remember whether it is right click, left click or left click, right click but one of them should work.

You SHOULD be able to eject that decoupler with the mouse pointer. I worked for me the last time I tried it. Can't remember whether it is right click, left click or left click, right click but one of them should work.

Yes, I have tried that several times. The decoupler makes a puff-sound, but stays attached to the nozzle. After that, the decoupler cannot be interacted with by mouse anymore.

Yes, I have tried that several times. The decoupler makes a puff-sound, but stays attached to the nozzle. After that, the decoupler cannot be interacted with by mouse anymore.

Did you mess around with it in the VAB? Because that sounds like the decoupler having a weird parent part (in the decoupled section, for example) or being the parent part of another part in the decoupled section. Something like that, problem with connection anyhow. Placing stuff in cluttered builds sometimes causes that, another part gets picked as a parent (and outlined in green) when you drop something in a difficult to reach node. I recommend a fresh download if the original is working for some other people.

And of course, Gus, looking awesomer every iteration. Keep it up!

Rune. 45 years, and the most we have up there and operational is a tiny Chinese lander. Shame on us.

Did you mess around with it in the VAB? Because that sounds like the decoupler having a weird parent part (in the decoupled section, for example) or being the parent part of another part in the decoupled section. Something like that, problem with connection anyhow. Placing stuff in cluttered builds sometimes causes that, another part gets picked as a parent (and outlined in green) when you drop something in a difficult to reach node. I recommend a fresh download if the original is working for some other people.

No editing in the VAB, but I just downloaded again to make sure. Same problem appears again. I checked the orientation of the arrow of the decoupler, and it seems to be oriented as it should - but it does not detach.

No editing in the VAB, but I just downloaded again to make sure. Same problem appears again. I checked the orientation of the arrow of the decoupler, and it seems to be oriented as it should - but it does not detach.

If you disconnect using an action group assigned to the

Docking port it will mess up that small red decoupler

I only ever use them for fairings.

Gus have you tried the little blue ones? As they detach

In two places they are more reliable.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.