What is the reason spaceport is gone. And why I don't like curse (YET)

Vaporized Steel

Honestly i really don't understand this big uproar against curse. Before curse it was an uproar against spaceport, now curse.

No matter what you do nothing is good enough for this community.

Squad for sure is not to hold responsible for managing our mods and parts, you all should be grateful that they arranged such a platform at all.

This constant diva behavior stinks up to the sky.

Today I discovered that links to a certain alternative mod repository site ( http://********************.com/ ) are being automatically altered by the forum software. I admit to being somewhat curious as to the reason, and whether this was a condition imposed on Squad in the terms of their partnership with Curse or their own decision.

Today I discovered that links to a certain alternative mod repository site ( http://********************.com/ ) are being automatically altered by the forum software. I admit to being somewhat curious as to the reason, and whether this was a condition imposed on Squad in the terms of their partnership with Curse or their own decision.

You have the official version of why here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/82588-A-Potential-Scraping-of-Spaceport

If anything, I expect the opposite to be a problem. I'd like to use the Curse client to keep mods updated when it supports KSP, but those mods not on Curse (and there seem to be many) obviously won't support it.

That's too bad it's not planned.

Spaceport 2 was basically done. I really don't understand why we need curse. Curse is a terrible and unprofessional company only bent on making money. Some examples:

http://www.reddit.com/r/starbound/comments/1s62r4/we_unofficially_agreed_to_use_starbounderorg_as/cdur6er?context=1

http://www.curse.com/news/curse/43460-official-update-regarding-virus-spread-through

What is the reason for deleting spaceport and using curse as a mod exchange?

Are the old mods still on the old spaceport respository (harddrive) and the links havent been made active yet?

Or are these mods missing and it's up to the Original mod developer to put it on the new website?

Is spaceport going to be offline forever?

Details can be found HERE and dispersed in this THREAD.

The transfer of mods from Spaceport to anywhere else was up to the person/people who developed the mods.

Yes, Spaceport as was known is now gone. Curse is presently our official mod repository.

Quote from the official article:

The speculations:

Curse will not be put in charge of any other areas of the community. They will remain our official mod repository.

You may want to ask Jadedcat and Kaelten about ads on Curseforge, but last I knew, that was to remain sans-ads.

Nutt007 - The answer below is for you. Also note that the Curse team that has been working with us has been active here on the forum to help solve people's problems as they arise and have acted with the utmost professionalism the whole way through.

While a lot of work had been done on an updated spaceport 2, it was ultimately determined to not be as fully ready to go as had initially been conceived. Additionally, it was also determined that Squad didn't have sufficient bandwidth to run it as conceived. The initial prototype of SP2 was dropped and alternatives were sought after sometime thereafter. That alternative ended up becoming Curse.

Ah, the classic outsourcing is easier for us solution. I really hope it turns out to be, though past experiences tend to go either way.

I does worry me a bit that a lot of old, unmaintained mods are gone through this move. A lot of those were still useful. After the big forum crash, this feels a bit like another loss.

Edited by Camacha

i checked curse again - they've changed download from annoying timer with premium ad to instant download

Red Iron Crown, nexus is one of the biggest mod sites (for skyrim)

Lots of ads

ok i oppened nexus in IE - to check for ads - there is only 1 add on the right and that's it.

download timers

and where do you see download timers? it starts downloads instantly for me

Edited by gendalf

ok i oppened site in IE - to check for ads - there is only 1 add on the right and that's it.

Big site != good site. Curse is also one of the biggest mod sites around, from what I can tell.

Ads: Without Adblock running, Nexus has 2 ads, which are both video. It also has a not-that-huge premium nagging static image. Curseforge has zero large ads, and a small premium nagging link; admittedly, the Curseforge home is mostly "advantages of hosting here, and how to start a project", and you need to click on the Projects link to get to the projects. That's not great for usability, but at least there are no Flash ads.

Download: Nexus no longer seems to have a countdown timer. It still takes multiple times clicking "Download" links, with noticeable delays, at which point you are capped at 64 KB/s for the files. Curseforge: Click "Download", no delay, high speeds (by Firefox's estimate, over 2 orders of magnitude higher speeds than Nexus). Custom Biomes, downloaded from Nexus, took 27 seconds to download the 2 MB mod. Infernal Robotics, downloaded from Curse, took less than 1 second to download the 16.2 MB file.

Curse.com is filled with ads, has download timers, all that bad stuff. This is true. But Squad worked out an arrangement with Curse where they can advertise the Curseforge link, avoiding those issues. Nexus has no such system to avoid ads or slow downloads. Ranked, Curse << Nexus < Curseforge.

You're not forced to use Curse. If you don't, you may not be able to get certain mods, but that's your own free choice and not something you're forced into.

actually, Kasper, I respectfully disagree with you. I use Mechjeb, and r4m0n as far as I know does not host mechjeb anywhere BUT curseforge, which, sadly FORCED me into using that forsaken site just to maintain my ability to continue to play the game. There IS one option to mitigate that: add in the most popular mods into STOCK KSP.

I'm going to have to vouch in favor of modders supporting nexus, I have used nexus for skyrim, downloading hundreds upon hundreds of mods and have never had a problem.

The virus issue mentioned above was an attack on the skyrim portion of the site, (if you actually read the message) it being one of the worlds most popular games and that being the best site for mods its no surprise that section was targeted. Why would they target the minority?

I don't personally like curse it looks disorganized and clumsy.

And seriously guys, just get an adblock?

i checked curse again - they've changed download from annoying timer with premium ad to instant download

ok i oppened nexus in IE - to check for ads - there is only 1 add on the right and that's it.

I see a couple of flash ads on there, though it's definitely less advertising than Curse. More than Curseforge, though.

You're right about the timers, they've changed the site since I visited it when it was suggested in the main Curse thread. It used to have a timer and mentioned the non-premium servers were bandwidth capped, but it looks like that timer and message is gone now. Good on them for improving the user experience on the site.

Edited by Red Iron Crown

I see a couple of flash ads on there, though it's definitely less advertising than Curse. More than Curseforge, though.

You're right about the timers, they've changed the site since I visited it when it was suggested in the main Curse thread. It used to have a timer and mentioned the non-premium servers were bandwidth capped, but it looks like that timer and message is gone now. Good on them for improving the user experience on the site.

Non-premium servers still seem to have a 64 KB/s cap.

Non-premium servers still seem to have a 64 KB/s cap.

The message used to say "Non-premium servers are limited to 1 megabit per second", which, when I mentioned it in the main Curse thread, was responded to by someone at Nexus saying it was actually 10Mb, or about 1 megabyte per second. Your results seem a lot lower than that, I wonder if they've reworked their bandwidth tiers.

The message used to say "Non-premium servers are limited to 1 megabit per second", which, when I mentioned it in the main Curse thread, was responded to by someone at Nexus saying it was actually 10Mb, or about 1 megabyte per second. Your results seem a lot lower than that, I wonder if they've reworked their bandwidth tiers.

No, they've not reworked the bandwidth tiers - Nexus is capped at a megabyte a second download rate for non-premium users, it's been that way for as long as I can remember. I download a lot of Skyrim mods and never went premium simply because even their 1 megabyte cap exceeds my net connection speed.

edit: I've just kicked off a fresh download on Nexus to check - cap is still 1 megabyte per second according to the nexus mod manager and I'm transferring at just below half meg a second, about normal for my connection (around 4 1/2 megabit)

Edited by Tarrow

• 2 weeks later...

Curse.com is filled with ads, has download timers, all that bad stuff. This is true. But Squad worked out an arrangement with Curse where they can advertise the Curseforge link, avoiding those issues. Nexus has no such system to avoid ads or slow downloads. Ranked, Curse << Nexus < Curseforge.

We are planning to re-work the Curse.com side. We chose to work on CurseForge first since we want to make it easier on mod authors, and the general public can download from CurseForge. Whereas if we started on Curse.com, the mod authors would have to keep dealing with the older system longer since Curse.com isn't where they upload. We knew some re-working, updating and such needed done on both sites, and the decision was made to update the site both groups (authors and users) use first. The user only site will get reworked later. There is a feedback popout on the right of the CurseForge site, if you have anything you think would improve the site, please make a suggestion. I go through the suggestions every day and then the tech people discuss which can and should be implemented.

When we first launched the Kerbal Space Program portion (I like calling it KurseForge) a lot of people sent in feedback on the categories, and we updated those to make more sense.

Please give us feedback if you have suggestions. It helps us make the site better for authors and users.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.