[WIP][1.0.5]* RSS Visual Enhancements (RVE)

pingopete

Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter  

2,062 members have voted

1. 1. Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter

• A) 1 main cloud layer, 1 cirrus layer (Medium/Compromise)
    • A) Low, Medium, High cloud layers (Heavy/Realistic)
    • B) Detail bias towards Land/Atmosphere visuals
    • B) Detail bias towards Orbit/Space visuals
    • C) Realism
    • C) Detail
    • C) CPU accessibility

Glad that technique worked out for you Pingo! They look way better than any aurora I've seen!

Just a quick query for the shooting star feature, what rgba values did you set for the cover? It only seems to shade into the layer instead of actually covering it.

Look forward to a more stable release! RVE ftw!

Edit: It won't let me give you rep! XD

Haha thanks man. How do you mean cover? I'm out for now, I'll be on #RVEdev later if you want to discuss it more thoroughly, sorry.

Yes :) It will be merely a matter of reformatting the old ones for the newer system plus maybe some improvements, Really want to get the atmospheres working on the other planets though, its specularity effect will help to make the bodies more SpaceEngine'esque.

As for Linux no not yet, still contemplating the best method if it's just for ksp, I'm thinking dual boot or individual boot to linux but it'd just be for ksp :/ It's such a weird thought, like having a second pc inside my windows one just for modding :'D

Here's a vid of my first test of procedural aurora's for Earth :) (Originally recorded at 1080p 60fps, took 500 minutes to upload only to find it was down scaled to 360p.... FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU)

On that topic, I have a dual-booting PC, Win8 x64 and Linux Ubuntu x64. Installed RVE for a 64-bit...RO...Linux...Ubuntu...KSP...install and from high altitudes it's quite alright (clouds above 10km are low-res for some reason), but from launch FPS is low due to clouds I think (looking at ground/straight up improves FPS), then gradually between about 50 to 100km the screen appears to get like a VERY old Cathode-Ray-Tube TV, with horizontal lines and further drop in FPS. Then above about 100km abruptly stops and is Ok. Want screenshots for future help?

EDIT: Got a pretty decent PC, so FPS isn't due to low-performance, can run BF4 and other modern GPU/CPU-intensive games on high/ultra.

On that topic, I have a dual-booting PC, Win8 x64 and Linux Ubuntu x64. Installed RVE for a 64-bit...RO...Linux...Ubuntu...KSP...install and from high altitudes it's quite alright (clouds above 10km are low-res for some reason), but from launch FPS is low due to clouds I think (looking at ground/straight up improves FPS), then gradually between about 50 to 100km the screen appears to get like a VERY old Cathode-Ray-Tube TV, with horizontal lines and further drop in FPS. Then above about 100km abruptly stops and is Ok. Want screenshots for future help?

EDIT: Got a pretty decent PC, so FPS isn't due to low-performance, can run BF4 and other modern GPU/CPU-intensive games on high/ultra.

Ok thanks, atm it's hard too tell whether that's linux related or something else as it's still full of bugs, but I appreciate the tests and it's good to know there are no serious/game breaking bugs, however the lines thing soundsw weird, maybe you could post like a screenshot of that? Cheers

Also I too have a fairly decent pc, see specs below, also doubling my ram tomorrow to 16gb :D

Edited by pingopete

Also I too have a fairly decent pc, see specs below, also doubling my ram tomorrow to 16gb :D

Little off topic but why the extra RAM? 8GB is enough for any game and most arty/3d-design goings-on.

And on that note I got my 2500K up to 4.9GHz today, beats a standard i7 two gens ahead haha.

I'll update with screenshots soon from my Linux install. On Win8 atm.

Little off topic but why the extra RAM? 8GB is enough for any game and most arty/3d-design goings-on.

And on that note I got my 2500K up to 4.9GHz today, beats a standard i7 two gens ahead haha.

I'll update with screenshots soon from my Linux install. On Win8 atm.

Sweet, yeah well actually with chrome running(10-15tabs), ksp it's near 7+ gb ram also various other applications on, and I've been doing work on a 50k city light texture in photoshop, and it really could do with some extra :)

The CPU I have is pretty beast and OC's real nice and easily too, apparently it can get up to 5ghz but not that stably.

Ok now THIS is going to make me buy a new video card and force me to try to run all my mods in 64 bit. This is an AMAZING texture overhaul.

edit question: For the people running/testing this, what is your rig specs, how much FPS do you get on average, do you run this in 64 bit? and what are your in game settings?

Edited by TheKnave

Is there an implementation of the daytime city textures for stock Kerbin? I don't want to make the switch from kiddy-size planets just yet.

Sorry no not yet at this point in the dev, but I may have someone to port it to stock ksp for me at some point, until then though I believe astronomer was working on day cities, else you could just take these textures and apply them to stock kerbin?

How about adding noctilucent clouds to Kerbin, since there can't be an aurora everywhere, but noctilucent clouds are sure to form above Kerbal Space Center, with all that exhaust!

I tried adding some mesospherics for Mars a while back though they were basically just cirrus' anyways, I'll give it a try though the already tight cpu budget is making it a case of keeping what is most needed for the time being at least.

Just had to move to linux mint today, my linux ubuntu got a little corrupted and wouldn't load KSP (and kept crashing, 5 year old HDD's eh. )Just to be sure this time pingo, since the instructions vary day to day, I install DDS Loader (already have done because of RO dependecy).

But then the ambiguities explode into existence with the galactic-scale chaos that is rbray's github repository, non of your cause really to be fair...

Do I... install into my Gamedata ONLY the Environ... file from the GameData file from rbray's master-zip of the master branch of EVE,

or do I (big breath here)... install into my Gamedata ONLY the Environ... file from the GameData file in the x86 or x64 release zip from the master zip of the overhaul branch of EVE,

OR DO I...install into my Gamedata ONLY the Environ... file from the GameData file in the master-zip of the overhaul branch of EVE,

I don't install any BoulderCo files.

Then I copy all your files from your master-zip into my GameData replacing/overwriting when required. But should I only be copying the 'RVE' and the Environ... file?

*and breathe*

I got it running before but maybe before it was just a lucky non-optimal-still-bearly-functional arrangement.

Thanks, loving the mod otherwise!!

Edited by samhuk

Just had to move to linux mint today, my linux ubuntu got a little corrupted and wouldn't load KSP (and kept crashing, 5 year old HDD's eh. )Just to be sure this time pingo, since the instructions vary day to day, I install DDS Loader (already have done because of RO dependecy).

But then the ambiguities explode into existence with the galactic-scale chaos that is rbray's github repository, non of your cause really to be fair...

Do I... install into my Gamedata ONLY the Environ... file from the GameData file from rbray's master-zip of the master branch of EVE,

or do I... install into my Gamedata ONLY the Environ... file from the GameData file in the x86 or x64 release zip from the master zip of the overhaul branch of EVE,

OR DO I...install into my Gamedata ONLY the Environ... file from the GameData file in the master zip of the overhaul branch of EVE,

And then I don't install BoulderCo

I got it running before but maybe before it was just a lucky non-optimal-still-bearly-functional arrangement.

Thanks, loving the mod otherwise!!

Me too, though to xubuntu and with far worse consequences now. Install went great and most things worked but when it came to getting the nvidia drivers things went down hill. I can now no longer even boot to windows, it simply goes to grey screen or crashes all together (written off phone).

If you're desperate to test out the project (I don't recommend yet) You want the zip of the eve *overhaul* branch not the master branch, and all you want from that is environmental vis... End.. Folder with. Dlls. As for RVE yeah drag everything in though you need kitopiatech if you want rings

Edited by pingopete

Thanks Pingopete! Very helpful. I'll stop bugging you now so you can do your atmospheric sourcery.

And about nvidia drivers for linux, I'm sure you know the 'nouvaux' driver doesn't work and hard-crashes the entire OS (on Mint and Ubuntu), needing a hard-restart of the PC. You want to (for linux mint) press search for 'driver' or 'drivers' in the menu and click on 'Driver Manager' or something like that. Then select the nvidia driver you want, I pick the top one with the '(recommended)' text, because I'm a noob really. KSP worked fine then.

And you know what I had the exact same problem when installing linux mint on my old HDD, my new (main) HDD with windows on wouldn't boot, but I just kept trying and eventually it caught on and one boot up it launched it's system restore, and it took a good while, then windows works fine. It had to roll back about 1 week. Dunno if we have that problem due to like-causes or not though...

Hope that helps, although with your graphics sourcery skills I'm sure you know all that and I'm just being patronising :P

Edited by samhuk

Thanks Pingopete! Very helpful. I'll stop bugging you now so you can do your atmospheric sourcery.

And about nvidia drivers for linux, I'm sure you know the 'nouvaux' driver doesn't work and hard-crashes the entire OS (on Mint and Ubuntu), needing a hard-restart of the PC. You want to (for linux mint) press search for 'driver' or 'drivers' in the menu and click on 'Driver Manager' or something like that. Then select the nvidia driver you want, I pick the top one with the '(recommended)' text, because I'm a noob really. KSP worked fine then.

Hope that helps, although with your graphics sourcery skills I'm sure you know all that and I'm just being patronising :P

No problem, I'm such a noob with linux, and it seems every online tutorial assumes you to be an expert programmer typing in code into the command line for everything?!

I can launch linux fine just windows only works every once in 10 tries :/ It all started with pressing cntrl alt f1 or f3, that seems to be what broke windows at least?

No problem, I'm such a noob with linux, and it seems every online tutorial assumes you to be an expert programmer typing in code into the command line for everything?!

I can launch linux fine just windows only works every once in 10 tries :/ It all started with pressing cntrl alt f1 or f3, that seems to be what broke windows at least?

Pressing cntl+alt+F1/F3 during boot-up? That shouldn't have done anything since the keyboard is not read for input during boot-up of windows. And when booted-up, pressing them keys only brings up help info (with F1) and nothing (with F3)

When you do get to booting to windows, use this pretty helpful and easy guide on the tubz:

and as for the NVidia driver here's an image I've pulled of what screen you should look for...

mintdrivers.png

This is usually how it looks by default, but you DON'T want to use the default, the OS will crash entirely when running any complex graphics-thing, you want to most likely select the recommended one (I have and it works well)

Edited by samhuk

Pressing cntl+alt+F1/F3 during boot-up? That shouldn't have done anything since the keyboard is not read for input during boot-up of windows. And when booted-up, pressing them keys only brings up help info (with F1) and nothing (with F3)

When you do get to booting to windows, use this pretty helpful and easy guide on the tubz:

and as for the NVidia driver here's an image I've pulled of what screen you should look for...

http://www.linuxmint.com/pictures/screenshots/olivia/mintdrivers.png

This is usually how it looks by default, but you DON'T want to use the default, the OS will crash entirely when running any complex graphics-thing, you want to most likely select the recommended one (I have and it works well)

No I mean once started up, you could jump on #RVEdev if you wan't might be easier :)

Problem is I don't get any nvidia driver options in the software and updates thing, it doesn't seem to recognise my 970, there's stuff about setting up repositories but can't quite figure that out :/

Edited by pingopete

I've given up on xubuntu gonna give mint a shot though, in fairness it was my first ever dual boot :P And it worked mostly just could never sort the gpu driver issue and a few other bugs.

My main reason for Linuxing is simply for RVE development but there may also be >8k RSS textures on the way, and that ain't gonna play well with x32 no way no how! :P

I'm by no means an "expert programmer", but I did manage to set up ubuntu without breaking anything, so I think you guys can as well. As for setting up repositories and the rest of command line things - you do not need to type that (at least not on ubuntu), you can quite simply find whatever you need by googling it and then copypaste it into the command line terminal. Do note that keyboard shortcuts do not seem to work in the command line, but right-clicking and selecting "paste" DOES work.

Pingopete, when using EVE overhaul with planets as large as the real ones, you must have encountered some massive z-fighting, or not? If yes, do you see any way of dealing with or avoiding it? And what about Kerbol/Sol shining through planets? You must have quite a lot of experience with altering the visuals of KSP, that is why I am asking.

Oh, and needless to say your work is absolutely stunning!

@Hattivat

Ctrl+Shift+x is your terminal formula for shortcuts, so ctrl + shift + v to paste for example :)

I'm by no means an "expert programmer", but I did manage to set up ubuntu without breaking anything, so I think you guys can as well. As for setting up repositories and the rest of command line things - you do not need to type that (at least not on ubuntu), you can quite simply find whatever you need by googling it and then copypaste it into the command line terminal. Do note that keyboard shortcuts do not seem to work in the command line, but right-clicking and selecting "paste" DOES work.

Yeah just knowing me there's always something waiting around the corner to slow things down! Cheers for the info on terminals btw :) Still getting the hang of linux, mint seems allot better than xubuntu from what I've seen.

Pingopete, when using EVE overhaul with planets as large as the real ones, you must have encountered some massive z-fighting, or not? If yes, do you see any way of dealing with or avoiding it? And what about Kerbol/Sol shining through planets? You must have quite a lot of experience with altering the visuals of KSP, that is why I am asking.

Oh, and needless to say your work is absolutely stunning!

@Hattivat

Ctrl+Shift+x is your terminal formula for shortcuts, so ctrl + shift + v to paste for example :)

Sun shining through planets seems to have resurfaced on particular planets and at certain distances recently for some reason, am currently looking into it. As for the z fighting/cam clipping plane thing.. yeah I know about it :P

I feel sorry for rbray and nathankell to whome I pestered for so long for a fix :P

Got one now though and can directly prevent it from happening and from config too (in next RSS release).

Also those shortcuts are great thanks!

I strongly urge you to persue a linux installation. Ive been using linux for 64bit ksp for around 3 months now. It takes a massive load off the ram micromanagement that seems to linger over ones shoulder when running 32bit.

As for the linux "crt tearing' issues. Here are some screenshots.

Also including my CSS RO config that should hopefully be ready for next RO release :D

Javascript is disabled. View full album

And heres the reason i use linux.

ZJZJhpo.png

Yes I have an addiction to mods, send help!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.