[WIP][1.0.5]* RSS Visual Enhancements (RVE)

pingopete

Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter  

2,062 members have voted

1. 1. Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter

• A) 1 main cloud layer, 1 cirrus layer (Medium/Compromise)
    • A) Low, Medium, High cloud layers (Heavy/Realistic)
    • B) Detail bias towards Land/Atmosphere visuals
    • B) Detail bias towards Orbit/Space visuals
    • C) Realism
    • C) Detail
    • C) CPU accessibility

Yep I have a version locally of 10x kerbal that is using his ocean/land textures. Also implemented is the atmospheric haze. I haven't done the clouds since they don't quite look right which started me doning some digging to see how clouds really behavior. I have posted to the Overhaul development about my cloud observations and how to possible render it. It will be of interest to Pete :)

I wanted to say that I've finally gotten internet access on my Ubuntu partition, and that I've been using this mod with RSS and having a great time. Especially once there are cloud detail textures and the CRT tearing is gone (but even now) it looks amazing, and it is really awesome to build rockets that orbit and take off from the actual Earth.

I wanted to say that I've finally gotten internet access on my Ubuntu partition, and that I've been using this mod with RSS and having a great time. Especially once there are cloud detail textures and the CRT tearing is gone (but even now) it looks amazing, and it is really awesome to build rockets that orbit and take off from the actual Earth.

Thank you! Sorry I've been AWOL for so long now, works really staking up at uni and I haven't heard anything from rbray in months, lets hope everything's ok on his end :(

Yep I have a version locally of 10x kerbal that is using his ocean/land textures. Also implemented is the atmospheric haze. I haven't done the clouds since they don't quite look right which started me doning some digging to see how clouds really behavior. I have posted to the Overhaul development about my cloud observations and how to possible render it. It will be of interest to Pete :)

Thanks I had a look, more complex/real cloud movement is something I've wanted to investigate however the HEAVY cpu drain from multiple >1k clouds layers prevented any realistic attempt on my end towards serious realistic multiple layering. The use of a mask to define regions where clouds will form is a possibility however.. e.g. one could find the average cloud location per annum for Earth via NASA sat imagery, this could be made static globally and be used to control the location of the detail texture that could move with speed 'inside it' Might require some rework to the cloud details however - detail repetition becomes a big issue in large areas of mask.

Thanks, that's pretty cool, I did something similar to that with the cloud layers to get a decent looking ring shadow for Saturn:

589SRp0.png

Kitopia's ring system works really well for high detail, though no actual detail texture or proper shadow system, I did ask Kcreator about this, and possibly making the rings into something EVE's shadow system recognises, this'd mean shadows for rings were 100% realistic and were cast from the planet onto rings also

V0O1lQs.png

Thanks that was actually the first attempt after generating the kittopiatech texture, Couldn't believe it worked so well :D I tried to match not just the colour but varying transparency of the sections also with alpha, looks alright, just need it to work with EVE's shadow system now :)

Is Saturn going to have its own clouds?

I'll certainly give it an atmosphere shader, and quite possibly clouds yes, simply because of how 'hard', flat and 2D it's surface looks without any kinda of layering. Bear in mind however this might be something for a linux version of the release as mem-use is staking up rapidly with just the essential textures and clouds as it is :/

I'll probably have a set up of release options something like:

Medium w/ATM-Agressive - Medium - High - Linux

Linux effectively being all textures at max (or near to) max resolution I made them with initially so the 4 or 8k cloud details for earth, etc

Edited by pingopete

I'll probably have a set up of release options something like:

Medium w/ATM-Agressive - Medium - High - Linux

I am so damn happy for having made the plunge to linux last year :D

11GB of ram usage while playing ksp ftw. <insert something with masterrace> *ducks away*

I am so damn happy for having made the plunge to linux last year :D

11GB of ram usage while playing ksp ftw. <insert something with masterrace> *ducks away*

I know me too! It really makes 32 bit windows ksp a joke, I mean once I got my partition working, I chucked all the mods I ever wanted to play in gameData, no ATM, no minimal part use, 8k RSS textures and BAM working right off the bat :D Now all we need is proper cpu core crossthreading for physx stuff!

I know me too! It really makes 32 bit windows ksp a joke, I mean once I got my partition working, I chucked all the mods I ever wanted to play in gameData, no ATM, no minimal part use, 8k RSS textures and BAM working right off the bat :D Now all we need is proper cpu core crossthreading for physx stuff!

Are the loading times slower without ATM? I have been using ATM, and KSP loads 8+GB of assets in under a minute.

So far am loving this mod! Can't wait for it to become stable. I have some crash reports I could send. Would that help with development? or do you already have piles?

heh thanks, nah it should be cool I pretty much know everything that's not working, just a matter of getting some fixes from rbray which is what I'm waiting on

yes and in fact I've gone back to using atm basic soley because it converts all textures to DDS hence the insanely fast load times

This, and why not free up memory on my system to do other things too? There's really no reason not to use ATM.

heh thanks, nah it should be cool I pretty much know everything that's not working, just a matter of getting some fixes from rbray which is what I'm waiting on

These fixes wouldn't have anything to do with RVE crashing the game would they? That's what RVE seems to be doing, I'm trying to figure out if its a problem with the mod or if I'm just hitting my memory limit.

Any chance someone could point me to a guide on how to read these crash dumps?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.