[WIP][1.0.5]* RSS Visual Enhancements (RVE)

pingopete

Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter  

2,062 members have voted

1. 1. Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter

• A) 1 main cloud layer, 1 cirrus layer (Medium/Compromise)
    • A) Low, Medium, High cloud layers (Heavy/Realistic)
    • B) Detail bias towards Land/Atmosphere visuals
    • B) Detail bias towards Orbit/Space visuals
    • C) Realism
    • C) Detail
    • C) CPU accessibility

Excellent mod, it really brings up the visuals several notches to complement the vast scale of the RSS!

I have been having two primary graphical issues, the CRT/screendooring of clouds and ocean primarily during ascent, and secondly an odd bright spotlight under the ship that changes in scale as you ascent.

Is there a thread where people trade config files for RVE in RSS? I have had some luck fixing the cloud black line issue by changing the DetailDist and FadeDist for the Ketbin clodsLow layer. Increasing the altitude of the layer a km or so also seems to help. I have so far had no luck correcting the black lining issue when it comes to the ocean surface.

Thanks to those who work on RVE, EVE, and RSS. Any help, advice, or direction anyone might be able to provide would be much appreciated!

I found a capitalization error in the clouds.cfg file (RVE/EVE/Atmosphere/) that seems to cause my low cloud layer to exhibit no detail.

In the section below, the _DetailTex file path should end in detailLow, not DetailLow as it does:

Kerbin-cloudsLow

{

altitude = 4200

speed = 50

scaledOverlay = Geometry

layer2D

{

detailSpeed = 6

offset = 0,0,0

shadow = True

shadowOffset = 0,0,0

macroCloudMaterial

{

_MainTex = RVE/EVE/Atmosphere/Textures/Low

_DetailTex = RVE/EVE/Atmosphere/Textures/DetailLow

I am not sure if this was corrected at some point, or in some versions. after changing the case of the 'd', my lower cloud layer looks much better!

I suggested the change on the github, if you find it to be a desirable change.

(Edit)

I also found a way to drastically reduce the lines in the clouds before the PQS/Scaled Space switch over. I increased the altitude of the low cloud layer to 4200 meters, which pretty much eliminated the problem for the clouds, but the issue still appears on the ocean and terrain. I also find the drastic difference between the land colour before and after the switch quite distracting. The temp solution I am working on is lowering the altitude at which the game switches to the beautiful Scaled Space version, as PQS rapidly drops in quallity as altitude increases. Re-entry is when I will mostly be seeing the switch over (it appears less ugly during ascent) so I think I will lower the switch to 65-80km.

Edited by stratochief66

Thanks for testing, I'll have to look into this. I did try tweaking the PQS/SS fade start and end points before but the effect was weird, truth is there's allot of stuff happening that shouldn't really, so I'm kinda waiting on various fixes before I launch back into it again properly.

Its been a long time since ive had RVE installed. But as of tonight I got KSP running smooth on Linux. If love to give this another go. So if like to ask.. is there anything really detrimental I should look out for? WIP mod is WIP that much I know. The biggest issue I had almost 6 months back was the disappearance of the atmosphere when loading a craft in orbit or when returning to Earth. And unfortunately in those 6 months EVE has yet to be updated. So is that bug still present?

Edit: Ah. Sorry I just read the notice about the download.

Edited by Motokid600

...Can't find download link. Is there one?

See here. First three posts.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/99966-0-90-Realism-Overhaul-8-1-1-2015-055?p=1759590#post1759590

I was wondering the same myself. There doesnt apear to be a link to Pingopete's Github in the op. Ive yet to install it just yet. But just know that the mod is a WIP. If the bugs i experienced six months ago when i last used RVE are still present then honestly tts still worth it imo.

------------

What key is it ro extend the clipping plane on Linux?

Edited by Motokid600

What key is it ro extend the clipping plane on Linux?

The key is actually disabled as it's now all done from config (except ScaledSpace, which, as far as I know, doesn't yet read from config in RSS 8.5).

You can adjust non-ScaledSpace cam clipping plane values in the RVE config.

The key is actually disabled as it's now all done from config (except ScaledSpace, which, as far as I know, doesn't yet read from config in RSS 8.5).

You can adjust non-ScaledSpace cam clipping plane values in the RVE config.

But does it still need to be done? I was playing last night and I gotta say PingoPete it ran smooth. Linux is just a charm to play KSP on ill tell ya... My only issues are that disappearing atmosphere if you load to a craft in orbit or after you go from a high orbit to a low orbit. The clipping plane tweak did nothing for that 6 months ago and I figure its the same case now. And there was also some clouds clipping into some mountains.

I know your well aware of these issues though. I just don't understand what that clipping plane tweak does. The only issues i had were the ones i stated above. I don't know if there related to the clipping plane or not.

Oh, and what can I do about the Texture/Low nre I'm getting? Says the texture is not readable. However when I right click that "Low" texture in Kunbuntu it says that it is readable.

Amazingly it's the only nre I'm getting and it doesn't seem to impact much.

Edited by Motokid600

I've been away for a while, but I snapped some pics of the issue I seem to be having.

http://i.imgur.com/i15oWAc.png

http://i.imgur.com/MkLyxKf.png

http://i.imgur.com/y0OhmPK.png

http://i.imgur.com/4x7WY2S.png

There doesn't seem to be anything in the logs about RVE, and I've removed Planetshine, as well as any other visual packs before following install directions.

I have a small problem; the mod works fine and all the textures, clouds and shaders are there but the sun is far to bright, is there any way to fix this?

Install the optional sun texture - shared assets file included in my github release :)

RSS is 8.5

EVE overhaul is x86 release found on github by link from forum (there's no readme in it)

RVE is 0.2.2.a2

RVE 0.2.2 is very old and I honestly haven't looked at it since I started on 0.3 so I can't really help you there much I'm afraid, it was designed for KSP 0.21 or something :P

Ive went back through half the thread and i couldnt find the post. I saw someone awhile back post about a fog on the Moon that goes all the way to the surface. I just found this out today. I knew something was wrong because of how flat the surface looked from only a few thousand meters. There was nothing. Until i hit the ground where i saw a little clear circle of terrain. Was there a solution by chance?

Ive went back through half the thread and i couldnt find the post. I saw someone awhile back post about a fog on the Moon that goes all the way to the surface. I just found this out today. I knew something was wrong because of how flat the surface looked from only a few thousand meters. There was nothing. Until i hit the ground where i saw a little clear circle of terrain. Was there a solution by chance?

This mod is about 30% finished for earth and about 1% finished for everything else. Due to the work load at uni and to the fact rbray is on hiatus I haven't been able to do more. You can toy about with texture fade distances and scale in the EVE GUI, this should help address your issue, for the time being at-least.

How do you open the ui on Linux? Shift is my modifier key and last i remember it was mod kery+N. Not much luck just face rolling my keyboard, lol.

Edit: Nevermind they actually say what it is in the EVE thread.

Additionally, yea I knew this mod is still a WIP. It's just that when I played with it back in 24.2 ( I think that was the version ) that fog wasn't there. But yea here's hoping RBray comes back at all at this point. Can't imagine what's keeping him from just chiming in to let everyone know the situation, but whatever it is I fear his hiatus may be permanent. Hope I'm wrong, who knows..

Those are some impossibly big shoes to fill..

Edited by Motokid600

How do you open the ui on Linux? Shift is my modifier key and last i remember it was mod kery+N. Not much luck just face rolling my keyboard, lol.

Edit: Nevermind they actually say what it is in the EVE thread.

Additionally, yea I knew this mod is still a WIP. It's just that when I played with it back in 24.2 ( I think that was the version ) that fog wasn't there. But yea here's hoping RBray comes back at all at this point. Can't imagine what's keeping him from just chiming in to let everyone know the situation, but whatever it is I fear his hiatus may be permanent. Hope I'm wrong, who knows..

Those are some impossibly big shoes to fill..

The version for 0.24.2 will be even more buggy than the most recent although it technically has more work done to it. check the KSP-RVE-0.24.2 Repo > Tags for all the old releases.

And tell me about it; Rbray's done utterly incredible work in KSP - his leaving would be a sad time for the whole community indeed and would probably mean the end of RVE development.. by me at least :'(

(IMO he should be payed by squad to continue development)

http://i.imgur.com/0YPIUoo.png

I kinda preferred the older, slightly bluer atmosphere from .2.1, which commit was it that you introduced the new one?

Technically that version had a whiter atmosphere just a darker ocean colour. As said above older version will be even more buggy and less compatible with KSP 0.9 but by all means you can try to make it compatible.

https://github.com/Pingopete/RVE-KSP-0.24.2 - (Switch branch to 'Tags')

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.