[WIP][1.0.5]* RSS Visual Enhancements (RVE)

pingopete

Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter  

2,062 members have voted

1. 1. Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter

• A) 1 main cloud layer, 1 cirrus layer (Medium/Compromise)
    • A) Low, Medium, High cloud layers (Heavy/Realistic)
    • B) Detail bias towards Land/Atmosphere visuals
    • B) Detail bias towards Orbit/Space visuals
    • C) Realism
    • C) Detail
    • C) CPU accessibility

One question: The Linux install isn't complete.

It is possible to download the original EVE install and then copy over the RVE Linux install to have a complete mod pack for Linux?

And if not: Is there a Linux user out there with a working config? Then I humbly request, if this one could zip his/hers working EVE/RVE config and upload it somewhere?

Thank you.

One question: The Linux install isn't complete.

It is possible to download the original EVE install and then copy over the RVE Linux install to have a complete mod pack for Linux?

And if not: Is there a Linux user out there with a working config? Then I humbly request, if this one could zip his/hers working EVE/RVE config and upload it somewhere?

Thank you.

1. Master branch:

a. Have EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements included (old relese from Overhaul Rbray branch)

b. it use default Kerbin planet naming system

c. do not have Scatterer config

d. RVE have partial config

2. Linux64 branch

a. Don't have EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements included it require all to dl last version x86-Release.zip but not use BoulderCo

https://github.com/rbray89/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/tree/Overhaul

b. it use default Kerbin planet naming system but Eve it can use partial RSS planetary naming system

c. it have have Scatterer config but it require to download blackrack mod

d. RVE have partial config

Bouth version are not complete they have partial config & are test version, not final release. Pete it will update or make be one in future

You can't use old / original Eve config because it use diferite code, Eve mod it self was evolve aka Rbray he try to improve

salute

have RO, RSS, EVE, and AVP installed along with a huge variety of part mods. I'm running KSP on Ubuntu 14.04 x64. 4ghz processor and 16gb RAM. There's this blue thing that I believe to be a visual for the atmosphere. I think it's supposed to be connected to the earth, but i see this annoying gap... I think it's an issue with RVE. does anyone have a suggestion on how to fix this?

Thanks!

GauUNsE.jpg

have RO, RSS, EVE, and AVP installed along with a huge variety of part mods. I'm running KSP on Ubuntu 14.04 x64. 4ghz processor and 16gb RAM. There's this blue thing that I believe to be a visual for the atmosphere. I think it's supposed to be connected to the earth, but i see this annoying gap... I think it's an issue with RVE. does anyone have a suggestion on how to fix this?

Thanks!

Well to start, which version of the mod are you using and did you follow the readme exactly? When you first launch a vessel with the mod installed, hit alt+e on the launchpad, pause the game and then hit the apply button. After you close out of that window (alt+e) again it should be fixed. I had the same issue with the windows version. Hope I helped :).

AVP (Astronomer's visual pack) is for stock and not for RSS - do you mean to say you have AVP and RVE installed?

Thanks!

http://i.imgur.com/GauUNsE.jpg

It was a couple pages back. Press alt-e and then hit "apply" on the launch pad.

I can't wait until this is fully finished for KSP 1.0 it looks so beautiful in the mockup! Also does this mod work for KSP x64? If it does not currently work on x64 then I hope that it does when it's finished. Also where do I get the beautiful sun flare asset file from the mockup video.

Edit: I finally got it working on x64... somewhat. I have come across a few bugs such as the atmospehere being WAY to thick, the entire planet is either fully illuminated or not illuminated at all depending upon which side you are looking at, the transition from fully illuminated to not illuminated at all is extremely sudden, the mountains look glazed, and the edes of the planet, when fully illuminated, has many small black blotches. These are only the bugs I noticed I may post pics tomorrow. I will also experiment more on how I install this tommorow.

Edited by dudefinal

I can't wait until this is fully finished for KSP 1.0 it looks so beautiful in the mockup! Also does this mod work for KSP x64? If it does not currently work on x64 then I hope that it does when it's finished. Also where do I get the beautiful sun flare asset file from the mockup video.

Edit: I finally got it working on x64... somewhat. I have come across a few bugs such as the atmospehere being WAY to thick, the entire planet is either fully illuminated or not illuminated at all depending upon which side you are looking at, the transition from fully illuminated to not illuminated at all is extremely sudden, the mountains look glazed, and the edes of the planet, when fully illuminated, has many small black blotches. These are only the bugs I noticed I may post pics tomorrow. I will also experiment more on how I install this tommorow.

Hi, In answer to your original question; yes there is a separate build especially for Linux x64 due to its non existent memory limit. Please make sure you follow the install instructions to the word on github in the readme.txt and let me know which build of RVE you're trying to get working (Windows-master branch or Linux-linux64 branch). Oh also please check out the known bug list on git also :) The sun flare assets is included in both builds on github.

Edited by pingopete

So for a while I've been struggling to figure out why the Earth looked so underwhelmingly scaled in RSS, especially since the addition of scatterer. I finally think I've got it figured. It was down to the height of the atmosphere on the horizon. I've lowered it by about half or more and it has helped greatly to bring back that sense of Earth being massive and better matches images taken from LEO (e.g. from ISS).

Most of these were taken from 400km roughly the height of the ISS.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Here's an actual photo for Reference:

ISS-42_Earth_from_the_ISS.jpg

That's fantabulous Pete. Looking good. I'm hoping to put together an RSS/RO build just before 1.1 hits. And come hell or high water I'm gonna try and get RVE working with it.

Keep on keepin on.

Yeah I'm looking forwards to the additions 1.1 should be adding, especially cross threading and *possibly* relatively functional 64bit on windows.

EDIT: oh btw a recent update to scatterer has fixed the colour banding and flashing on windows-opengl and linux.. however there are now some other issues in PQS that I've already bug reported to Blackrack :P

Yeah I'm looking forwards to the additions 1.1 should be adding, especially cross threading and *possibly* relatively functional 64bit on windows.

EDIT: oh btw a recent update to scatterer has fixed the colour banding and flashing on windows-opengl and linux.. however there are now some other issues in PQS that I've already bug reported to Blackrack :P

Are you getting any issues other than the "break" in the haze you can see on the horizon?

Hi, In answer to your original question; yes there is a separate build especially for Linux x64 due to its non existent memory limit. Please make sure you follow the install instructions to the word on github in the readme.txt and let me know which build of RVE you're trying to get working (Windows-master branch or Linux-linux64 branch). Oh also please check out the known bug list on git also :) The sun flare assets is included in both builds on github.

I am on Windows x64. Sorry about that I probably should have done some reading on here before posting. Apparantly RVE does not behave well on this platform according to some of the posts on here. And btw that thinner atmosphere looks superb! Cannot wait till the next update. Gonna install it via the instructions word to word this time and I will experiment a little if that does not work and if all else fails I'll revert to x86 because this just looks so dang beautiful. I am using version 0.2.2 and the windows-master branch for KSP 1.0.4. Pretty much a perfect storm for bugs XD.

Are you getting any issues other than the "break" in the haze you can see on the horizon?

Uh well nothing too noticeable, I think the way the haze works in pqs still seems to look slightly better in win without any opengl still. It looks slightly smoother but it's hard to tell if it's any different on opengl anymore. Any luck with un-hardcoding planet names? Cheers

I am on Windows x64. Sorry about that I probably should have done some reading on here before posting. Apparantly RVE does not behave well on this platform according to some of the posts on here. And btw that thinner atmosphere looks superb! Cannot wait till the next update. Gonna install it via the instructions word to word this time and I will experiment a little if that does not work and if all else fails I'll revert to x86 because this just looks so dang beautiful. I am using version 0.2.2 and the windows-master branch for KSP 1.0.4. Pretty much a perfect storm for bugs XD.

Ha well this version of RVE is most certainly not designed to run on that old version of ksp :P it's totally untested with that. As for win 64 i haven't experimented with it with RVE recently. If you have Linux you can run the 64 bit version of RVE reliably with all its Hi Def goodies :)

Pingopete could I get your earth texture? Looks so much better than the one im using.

As always, you can use it for personal use

Edited by pingopete

Uh well nothing too noticeable, I think the way the haze works in pqs still seems to look slightly better in win without any opengl still. It looks slightly smoother but it's hard to tell if it's any different on opengl anymore. Any luck with un-hardcoding planet names? Cheers

It's next on my list, NathanKell told me recently that RSS actually changes only the CelestialBody's name to Earth and keeps the scaledSpace Object and the gameObject's names to Kerbin. Is this a special situation for Kerbin/Earth or does it also happen with the other planets? (I'm assuming it's the former).

Also, yeah, there still seems like there is a small difference somewhere but I can't quite put my finger on it, both OpenGL and dx now look good enough though, and I might have a temporary fix for the horizon break thing.

Ha well this version of RVE is most certainly not designed to run on that old version of ksp :P it's totally untested with that. As for win 64 i haven't experimented with it with RVE recently. If you have Linux you can run the 64 bit version of RVE reliably with all its Hi Def goodies :)

I'm on version 1.0.4 of KSP and on version 0.2.2 of RVE so on the newest version of everything :P. I'm starting my experimentation right now. Will report any bugs I have.

Thick Atmosphere: I think this is caused by EVE but I'm not sure. I observed this on Scatterer with WIP-EVE and removing the atmosphere removed the abnormally thick atmosphere.

Okay nvm nothing works in x64 I just installed it and had an entirely different set of bugs the earth is transparent in map view, theres a giant blue plane in map view, half the earth is grey in LKO.... x64 is really not the way to go ;.;. I'm guessing that its all caused by RSS.

Edited by dudefinal

blackrack: Just for Earth. It's because KSP still demands that the space center be on a PQS named Kerbin, and there are some other hard-coded-to-be-Kerbin things, so I only change the CB name to Earth, and only after everything's set up (i.e. at MainMenu). Other planets are properly different planets.

Pete i'm working on a video using your pack. I would like Venus to have its atmosphere, I seen that its actually in your files is their anyway i could apply it to Venus? http://i.imgur.com/YUk3IIs.png

Alt-E brings up the EVE editor GUI from there you can configure new planets and such, I haven't tested on other planets as of yet with the latest release so not sure if it'd work to well yet tbh.

I tried you mod and the only problem was that after getting into space, it looked like I was still in the atmosphere. There was a blue-ish circle around me. An Alt+E and Apply fixed it. Other than that awesome mod!!!

So for a while I've been struggling to figure out why the Earth looked so underwhelmingly scaled in RSS, especially since the addition of scatterer. I finally think I've got it figured. It was down to the height of the atmosphere on the horizon. I've lowered it by about half or more and it has helped greatly to bring back that sense of Earth being massive and better matches images taken from LEO (e.g. from ISS).

Most of these were taken from 400km roughly the height of the ISS.

http://imgur.com/a/QOj1B

Here's an actual photo for Reference:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c9/ISS-42_Earth_from_the_ISS.jpg

Pete what variables did you change in scatter?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.