[WIP][1.0.5]* RSS Visual Enhancements (RVE)

pingopete

Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter  

2,062 members have voted

1. 1. Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter

• A) 1 main cloud layer, 1 cirrus layer (Medium/Compromise)
    • A) Low, Medium, High cloud layers (Heavy/Realistic)
    • B) Detail bias towards Land/Atmosphere visuals
    • B) Detail bias towards Orbit/Space visuals
    • C) Realism
    • C) Detail
    • C) CPU accessibility

Since there is no install tutorial I went ahead anyway and give this mod a try. The problem is im only getting the original EVE clouds. When I use Alt-N menu to look for the new Earth clouds, that config is not in the gui, only the stock EVE cloud layers. What may be thy problem?

I've just started using RSS/RO/RVE and am having an issue with RVE.

At launch (after hitting Apply in the Alt-E GUI) everything is fine and stays so through launch and in orbit. However on any scene change (F9 load, going to and from the Space Center etc.) the view from my vehicle in orbit is wrong (see below).

i2pI3brh.jpg

All signs of any kind of atmosphere are missing and the what looks like a distance based area of he planet below is grey in the ocean areas.

The build I'm running is vanilla, plus the following.

• Running in OpenGL
  • Realism Overhaul installed via CKAN
  • Real Solar System installed via CKAN
  • Planetshine

If anyone has experienced a similar issue and has insight into this, some info would be appreciated.

Additionally is the expected behaviour of RVE that settings have to be applied through the Alt-E GUI for each launch?

@Lex: There actually are instructions on how to install. It's called a README.txt. The filename is there for a reason :D .

https://github.com/Pingopete/RVE-KSP-1.0.4/blob/Win32/Readme.txt

In your case, you probably didn't delete the folders in BouldersCo as instructed.

Yes I did follow the Readme.txt that came in the RVE-KSP-1.0.4-master.zip package. As stated the install was vanilla (i.e. no BoulderCo folder) before installing RSS/RO/RVE.

Yes I did follow the Readme.txt that came in the RVE-KSP-1.0.4-master.zip package. As stated the install was vanilla (i.e. no BoulderCo folder) before installing RSS/RO/RVE.

Are you sure you're downloading from the right github branch, it should be called Win32 not master. The clouds you have in the first image are from the master branch

Since there is no install tutorial I went ahead anyway and give this mod a try. The problem is im only getting the original EVE clouds. When I use Alt-N menu to look for the new Earth clouds, that config is not in the gui, only the stock EVE cloud layers. What may be thy problem?

There are instal instructions in both readme.txt and readme.md be sure you're getting RVE from this branch

https://github.com/Pingopete/RVE-KSP-1.0.4/tree/Win32

Hey

I got two things:

A. Is there anyway to enable cloud shadows in the test version?

B. In PQS and map view my city lights are white.

A - yes, I disabled it for performance reasons but just open Alt + E the EVE GUI. In the Atmosphere section Change the main cloud layer shadow to True.

B - Yes this is because I couldn't run the game with both night and day textures, there is a temp fix now on github

Edited by pingopete

Are you sure you're downloading from the right github branch, it should be called Win32 not master. The clouds you have in the first image are from the master branch

Look like I have the master rather then Win32 branch. I'll download this are reinstall.

Thanks for the help pingopete.

Wow that was fast! No, it shouldn't look as is does in that. It looks as though scatterer isn't working at all? did you make sure to follow the instructions fully? (sorry the readme.md is a bit screwed up with formatting, check the .txt)

I install so many mods and make so many videos that it's like breathing now. ;)

Yep, your install TXT is what I used and it was pretty easy to follow and basic stuff.

"Install scatterer"

What I didn't do was check for any exceptions. I will reinstall (I reverted it all after the sky stayed red) and check for exceptions.

- - - Updated - - -

[EXC 06:03:03.551] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

scatterer.SkyNode.UpdateNode ()

scatterer.Manager.Update ()

scatterer.Core.Update ()

[EXC 06:03:03.607] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

scatterer.Core.Update ()

[EXC 06:03:03.613] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

scatterer.Core.Update ()

[EXC 06:03:03.629] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

scatterer.Core.Update ()

[EXC 06:03:03.644] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

scatterer.Core.Update ()

[EXC 06:03:03.661] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

scatterer.Core.Update ()

[LOG 06:03:03.950] IR: [GUI] destroy

[LOG 06:03:03.953] IR: [servoController] destroy

[EXC 06:03:03.961] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

scatterer.SkyNode.OnDestroy ()

scatterer.Manager.OnDestroy ()

scatterer.Core.OnDestroy ()

Even with this fixed, my clouds look like a field of planted corn. The sky is blue. The clouds are white. The ground is fine. But the positions of all clouds is like a grid pattern.

- - - Updated - - -

demo clip of clouds

I install so many mods and make so many videos that it's like breathing now. ;)

Yep, your install TXT is what I used and it was pretty easy to follow and basic stuff.

"Install scatterer"

What I didn't do was check for any exceptions. I will reinstall (I reverted it all after the sky stayed red) and check for exceptions.

- - - Updated - - -

[EXC 06:03:03.551] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

scatterer.Core.Update ()

[EXC 06:03:03.607] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

scatterer.Core.Update ()

[EXC 06:03:03.613] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

scatterer.Core.Update ()

[EXC 06:03:03.629] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

scatterer.Core.Update ()

[EXC 06:03:03.644] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

scatterer.Core.Update ()

[EXC 06:03:03.661] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

scatterer.Core.Update ()

[LOG 06:03:03.950] IR: [GUI] destroy

[LOG 06:03:03.953] IR: [servoController] destroy

[EXC 06:03:03.961] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

scatterer.SkyNode.OnDestroy ()

scatterer.Manager.OnDestroy ()

scatterer.Core.OnDestroy ()

Even with this fixed, my clouds look like a field of planted corn. The sky is blue. The clouds are white. The ground is fine. But the positions of all clouds is like a grid pattern.

- - - Updated - - -

demo clip of clouds

Glad to see you got the atmosphere working, I've just added a config to github that might help fix that issue

This? https://github.com/Pingopete/RVE-KSP-1.0.4/blob/b8f8eeaa4e8d6d2123f550f04717cedbc537489f/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/settings.cfg

My setting.cfg already looks like that. I downloaded a new repo ZIP this morning before making my post that's right above yours.

That's weird I don't know why yours is different from my setup if you have the same clouds config

Look like I have the master rather then Win32 branch. I'll download this are reinstall.

Thanks for the help pingopete.

I made the change to the Win32 branch and was about to claim victory (it looked great) but then I went back to the Space Center, then to my ship in orbit and it look like this.

0scDyXCh.jpg

My installation process was to remove the folders from the previous (incorrect) master build install, then I followed the instructions on the page https://github.com/Pingopete/RVE-KSP-1.0.4/tree/Win32.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Some cool shots of RVE and Scaterrer:

Javascript is disabled. View full album
I made the change to the Win32 branch and was about to claim victory (it looked great) but then I went back to the Space Center, then to my ship in orbit and it look like this.

@purpleivan: I have the same issues. Just go to VAB first, launch something then switch to your ship in orbit.

Some cool shots of RVE and Scaterrer:

http://imgur.com/a/e87nC

@purpleivan: I have the same issues. Just go to VAB first, launch something then switch to your ship in orbit.

Ok I'll try that.

I did notice that the instructions on Github said "Using the TrackingStation to switch to vessels in orbit will cause problems." and wondered if that was the issue.

That's weird I don't know why yours is different from my setup if you have the same clouds config

I did a complete tear down and rebuild of the environmental mods to make sure nothing was there that was not fresh or from your folders. Still does it. I'm going to revert the files (thank you git!) back to your previous RVE for now. It's looking pretty awesome in every other way though! The water is amazing. I love the new ground color. From orbit it's better and there's a better sun reflection.

Actually, maybe I'll change the values in that settings CFG first. If you thought those might fix it, I'll mess around to see what they change for me.

I'm afraid launching something then switch to my orbiting vehicle isn't working for me.

I sent an unmanned vehicle straight up and switched from it at 150km to my orbiting vehicle, but the rendering of the earth was still incorrect.

6P91gYih.jpg

It's basically an inversion of my previous problem, in that the area of the globe outside what appears to be a distance threshold is now rendering correctly and that inside it isn't.

Incidentally I'm not certain if the terrain around KSC is appearing as expected.

qrm1iuMh.jpg

Congrats on the Venus flyby by the way... looking forward to doing that kind of thing myself once I get these graphical glitches out of the way.

- - - Updated - - -

I've just done some quick testing and the behaviour of the graphical issue is a bit strange in that it only seems to affect a region of the globe, but that region drifts eastward as I orbit.

By warping I was able to push the area affected from Africa to to India in a few orbits.

When the distance threshold from the vehicle encounters the edge of the affected region it is clipped by it.

vHbAPIph.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/0scDyXCh.jpg

My installation process was to remove the folders from the previous (incorrect) master build install, then I followed the instructions on the page https://github.com/Pingopete/RVE-KSP-1.0.4/tree/Win32.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Tracking station breaks eve if used to go to orbiting vessels :/ Temp fix: Go into Alt + E, go to terrain page, change one of the colour values (0-255) to an invalid number, e.g. 256, and hit apply. Do this when orbiting in the dark size as hitting apply also breaks EVE when in orbit.

I did a complete tear down and rebuild of the environmental mods to make sure nothing was there that was not fresh or from your folders. Still does it. I'm going to revert the files (thank you git!) back to your previous RVE for now. It's looking pretty awesome in every other way though! The water is amazing. I love the new ground color. From orbit it's better and there's a better sun reflection.

Actually, maybe I'll change the values in that settings CFG first. If you thought those might fix it, I'll mess around to see what they change for me.

Yeah sure it should be easy to adjust, just decrease the volumetric area value to 15000 it's quite high atm, else go to that config previously posted and and increase the segment division value :)

Tracking station breaks eve if used to go to orbiting vessels :/ Temp fix: Go into Alt + E, go to terrain page, change one of the colour values (0-255) to an invalid number, e.g. 256, and hit apply. Do this when orbiting in the dark size as hitting apply also breaks EVE when in orbit.

Yeah sure it should be easy to adjust, just decrease the volumetric area value to 15000 it's quite high atm, else go to that config previously posted and and increase the segment division value :)

I'll give this a try... thanks.

A volume of "15000,5,0" seems to lessen the cloud effect to the point of almost not seeing the pattern. It might be "good enough" especially if I am careful about what I point the camera at for my videos. (I don't know what the last '0' is so I never changed it. The others I figured out from trying them.)

However, zoomed way out in flight mode there are lines in the clouds at certain angles, and if I move the camera to a different angle then sometimes the game stops for 3 seconds. When the game comes back from this hiccup the lines are gone and the texture looks okay (as if it did a MIP change) and then I can move the camera a little again and it goes back to this kind of texture that has the lines. I figure it's switching from dynamic clouds to a single-texture and back again or something.

ZyFCJ0a.png

- - - Updated - - -

AQkI4UF.png

Man... Now that water looks fantastic, good job. Other than a flickering in the horizon while in the atmosphere, it ran flawlessly. With 4k textures and 8k for the Earth and the Moon, Planet Shine, Distant Object, Proot's Skybox and no OpenGL mode, the RAM was 200 to 300 Mb under 3Gb. Also, is the KSC supposed to be in a city? Other than that, you nailed it man:)

No, this was testing without RVE just scatterer and RSS 10.2

Edit: Just tested with RVE, it would seem that with RVE running I don't get any land masses? It's just all oceans and clouds when in ScaledSpace; still tryna figure out what does it will get back too ya..

Edit 2: Just got it working with RVE and land masses, had to use the original method I described a few posts before about name later. My God man it looks unbelievable, will get some pics up soon :)

What can I say Blackrack.. I'll just leave this:

Hi Pingopete, great mod, thanks a ton for doing this. I'm currently experiencing the bug you refer to in this post, where once I reach 'scaled space' the land masses disappear and the whole planet looks like one big ocean. I tried the solution you referred to about the RSS name config but couldn't get that to work. Can you elaborate on how you solved this for me?

Again, the mod is unbelievable, with the exception of this bug it's been fantastic.

Edited by Krux'

A volume of "15000,5,0" seems to lessen the cloud effect to the point of almost not seeing the pattern. It might be "good enough" especially if I am careful about what I point the camera at for my videos. (I don't know what the last '0' is so I never changed it. The others I figured out from trying them.)

However, zoomed way out in flight mode there are lines in the clouds at certain angles, and if I move the camera to a different angle then sometimes the game stops for 3 seconds. When the game comes back from this hiccup the lines are gone and the texture looks okay (as if it did a MIP change) and then I can move the camera a little again and it goes back to this kind of texture that has the lines. I figure it's switching from dynamic clouds to a single-texture and back again or something.

http://i.imgur.com/ZyFCJ0a.png

- - - Updated - - -

http://i.imgur.com/AQkI4UF.png

Lower the value more to increase density and decrease radius, to actually add more billboards you need to adjust the settings files in the EVE folder. The line bug is a know issues listed in the readme. The pause and lines are to do with switching from PQS to SCaledSpace. This added lag is due to scatterer and to the textures being reloaded in ScaledSpace. The line bug has been an issue for a long time and affects all opengl installs, it can be partially mitigated by raising the cloud height.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Pingopete' date=' great mod, thanks a ton for doing this. I'm currently experiencing the bug you refer to in this post, where once I reach 'scaled space' the land masses disappear and the whole planet looks like one big ocean. I tried the solution you referred to about the RSS name config but couldn't get that to work. Can you elaborate on how you solved this for me?

Again, the mod is unbelievable, with the exception of this bug it's been fantastic.[/quote']

Are you trying to use custom scatterer shaders from proland? There is a bug with this and the new tint feature in scatterer. And thanks :)

- - - Updated - - -

Man... Now that water looks fantastic, good job. Other than a flickering in the horizon while in the atmosphere, it ran flawlessly. With 4k textures and 8k for the Earth and the Moon, Planet Shine, Distant Object, Proot's Skybox and no OpenGL mode, the RAM was 200 to 300 Mb under 3Gb. Also, is the KSC supposed to be in a city? Other than that, you nailed it man:)

Wow, on windows 32 bit!? I'm very surprised you got it working with that setup! Thanks and yes well.. No but I'm aware that the cities are around some launch sites. I can fix this

Edited by pingopete

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.