[WIP][1.0.5]* RSS Visual Enhancements (RVE)

pingopete

Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter  

2,062 members have voted

1. 1. Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter

• A) 1 main cloud layer, 1 cirrus layer (Medium/Compromise)
    • A) Low, Medium, High cloud layers (Heavy/Realistic)
    • B) Detail bias towards Land/Atmosphere visuals
    • B) Detail bias towards Orbit/Space visuals
    • C) Realism
    • C) Detail
    • C) CPU accessibility

Hi guys, for anyone interested my current project has been overhauling the linux RVE build for windows with memory reductions. It's going fairly well and I should be able to put up a new Win-branch on the github repo soon :)

Any bug-fixes coming with that or just straight RAM reduction for RVE-Linux?

Hi guys, for anyone interested my current project has been overhauling the linux RVE build for windows with memory reductions. It's going fairly well and I should be able to put up a new Win-branch on the github repo soon :)

Sounds awesome! can't wait to check it out :)

Yeah some bug fixes though that RP-0 comparability patch was totally news to me, I had no idea. Yeah it's just to bring the RVE-win version up to specs with the linux build as much as possible. Also some tweaked variables like the lower atmosphere shown in the pics posted a few pages back :)

really looking forward to it pingopete!!!! do let us know when you upload it! :D

Thank you! I have been anticipating this for months, and am eagerly looking forward to its release.

I feel terrible posting this - but I'm using Linux 64bit (Ubuntu 14.04) and I followed the instructions for the installation in the Linux x64 branch (I think) and when I boot the game, RVE isn't doing anything - no clouds or anything. I downloaded the linked EVE version and copied the EnvironmentalVisualEffects folder to Gamedata. Then I download the linked version of scatterer and do the same - extract it to Gamedata. Then, I snage the Linux x64 branch, throw the RVE folder in Gamedata, merge the scatterer folder, and then replace the sharedassets.009 file in KSP_data.

I am using RSS v10.2.

There's something that appears to be happening w/ the atmospheric effects, but whatever it is, it is really small in diameter w/ respect to the earth. I also get the RVE sun (but no lens flair).

Anyway - I know that RVE is WIP and not ready for widespread use, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Thanks!

Hello! I've been making/editing some of my own textures in search of more seamless edges.

L5S4ptk.png

riQDVu5.png

My grass texture still needs lots of work. I took the stock grass texture... Each blade of grass is the length of a tree...

- And yeah that's Kerbin :P

I've also been designing a more seamless city texture for kerbals.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I designed it with numerous helipad markers and no roads. I have a feeling that if kerbals went anywhere they would all travel by air ;).

I designed them for my own purposes but if you want them for tests or inspiration I can post a download.

Later!

Edited by Avera9eJoe

Did you go to the launchpad or runway and hit ALT-E then hit apply?

Also

To anyone who knows of this bug, Earth's Northern Hemisphere is completely white, anyone got a fix for that?

Eh? What the terrain at ground level or from obit / start menu?

I feel terrible posting this - but I'm using Linux 64bit (Ubuntu 14.04) and I followed the instructions for the installation in the Linux x64 branch (I think) and when I boot the game, RVE isn't doing anything - no clouds or anything. I downloaded the linked EVE version and copied the EnvironmentalVisualEffects folder to Gamedata. Then I download the linked version of scatterer and do the same - extract it to Gamedata. Then, I snage the Linux x64 branch, throw the RVE folder in Gamedata, merge the scatterer folder, and then replace the sharedassets.009 file in KSP_data.

I am using RSS v10.2.

There's something that appears to be happening w/ the atmospheric effects, but whatever it is, it is really small in diameter w/ respect to the earth. I also get the RVE sun (but no lens flair).

Anyway - I know that RVE is WIP and not ready for widespread use, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Thanks!

Hmm that's weird, sounds like you did everything right.. :/ You sure you have the EVE .dll's in the Env..Vis..Enhancements folder in game data? You may also need all the stuff in BoulderCo provided with the EVE overhaul (minus the atmosphere, terrain, city lights folders) as of changes in the latest builds.

- - - Updated - - -

Hello! I've been making/editing some of my own textures in search of more seamless edges.

http://i.imgur.com/L5S4ptk.png

http://i.imgur.com/riQDVu5.png

My grass texture still needs lots of work. I took the stock grass texture... Each blade of grass is the length of a tree...

- And yeah that's Kerbin :P

I've also been designing a more seamless city texture for kerbals.

http://imgur.com/a/OhBkx

I designed it with numerous helipad markers and no roads. I have a feeling that if kerbals went anywhere they would all travel by air ;).

I designed them for my own purposes but if you want them for tests or inspiration I can post a download.

Later!

Nice work, I'm struggling a lot ATM with city lights and repetitiveness, maybe a simpler design would be the way to mitigate the obvious repetition?

Hi Ping! I dropped this into a fresh install and it worked great. I'm once again working on a Project Alexandria episode. Thanks for this mod! It had a few issues, but I can probably film around those and no one will be the wiser. The clouds flicker at a certain zoom level. There is a blue tinted cube surrounding the planet at a certain angle. The city textures appear under the water at times. The water sometimes clips the terrain but then disappears like a mirage as the camera moves (that one might even be "stock" RSS; I never tried without RVE). But outside of these I have not seen any other problems. It's pretty awesome!

Hey pingo, I got some better news, taking from your advice with BoulderCo, I managed to get RVE semi working, I believe there is only a few things I will have to to do to lay it to rest! So close!

:D Very close!

55SNJcv.png

a6goQSh.png

Alright, almost got it, I just need to figure out its still only applying to the northern hemisphere, maybe its a menu only thing. Wish me luck!

Ran into a terrain problem. Also the tracking station doesn't show the clouds. :/ Okay, let's see here, what could be causing that? Maybe the texture wrap is null. Let me go see.

Et4yDbF.png

Yep it is a texture problem, I replaced the textures with WIP EVE and get the same static fuzz. Hmm, how do you adjust the height of terrain textures, I am pretty certain there is some type of overlap with RSS-Textures and RVE's texutres which are causing major Z-fighting.

Edited by TheRag
UPDATE! :p

YAY! I got it to work! I singled out, it was running KSP in DirectX11, DON'T DO IT PEOPLE! Pingo, you might want to warn people of using RVE with direct X11 is dangerous. This is open GL and it is fine. Regular KSP crashes, so the only way windows users are going use it is OpenGL.

But YAY!

MZG7RXl.png

Hmm that's weird, sounds like you did everything right.. :/ You sure you have the EVE .dll's in the Env..Vis..Enhancements folder in game data? You may also need all the stuff in BoulderCo provided with the EVE overhaul (minus the atmosphere, terrain, city lights folders) as of changes in the latest builds.

Pete - thanks for getting back to me - there appear to be NO *.dll files in the EVE_Overhaul/Gamedata/ folder...the /Gamedata/Plugins folder only contains a 'license.txt' file and that's it. So...I guess to answer your question, no, I don't have the EVE *.dll's in Env...Vis...Enhancements folder because it appears as though there are none in the repository? I feel like I'm doing something terribly and simply wrong...

When I go to the EVE github and go do the Overhaul branch and press 't' to look at the all of the files in the repository, there really don't seem to be any *.dll files in there...there are in the master, but I don't seem to be seeing any in the Overhaul.

Thanks again and appreciate the help!!! You do tremendous work!

YAY! I got it to work! I singled out, it was running KSP in DirectX11, DON'T DO IT PEOPLE! Pingo, you might want to warn people of using RVE with direct X11 is dangerous. This is open GL and it is fine. Regular KSP crashes, so the only way windows users are going use it is OpenGL.

But YAY!

I run KSP in DX11 and tried RVE yesterday on Win32 version of KSP and no bugs occured at all except the known one like the buggy fonts.

So you can't speak for all :P

- - - Updated - - -

I am using RSS v10.2.

Did you throw in the x64 directory from the overhaul zip?

Nice work, I'm struggling a lot ATM with city lights and repetitiveness, maybe a simpler design would be the way to mitigate the obvious repetition?

I think really the best way to get rid of repetition would be to have 2-3 separate city textures and each to have their own separate "main" texture that complements the three. That would allow you to have 3 separate textures for cities. This would be insanely system taxing though so I doubt you'll end up doing it XD. In terms of simplicity the best way would probably be to have a 4k texture like it currently is and make it a mesh of city blocks with enough formality between them that it doesn't look strange when mixing them together. Like a grid as oppose to a mirrored image.

urban-tiles-city-tile-range-shows-urban-maps-by-lea-leaceramiche-urban-tiles-4-photograph.jpg

1638.jpg

stock-vector-abstract-urban-digital-ornate-pixels-camouflage-texture-seamless-tiling-vector-105741857.jpg

There really isn't a pretty way of doing it. :rolleyes:

EDIT: oops! You're talking about City lights not textures... With that I would suggest making it have a more uniform spread of light throughout the texture as oppose to a few big spots. Like this:

gold_paint_splatter_by_latanafox.jpg

That would just look like noise from a distance rather than a repetitive pattern.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

I think really the best way to get rid of repetition would be to have 2-3 separate city textures and each to have their own separate "main" texture that complements the three. That would allow you to have 3 separate textures for cities. This would be insanely system taxing though so I doubt you'll end up doing it XD. In terms of simplicity the best way would probably be to have a 4k texture like it currently is and make it a mesh of city blocks with enough formality between them that it doesn't look strange when mixing them together. Like a grid as oppose to a mirrored image.

http://creative-homes-modular.com/wp-content/uploads/urban-tiles-city-tile-range-shows-urban-maps-by-lea-leaceramiche-urban-tiles-4-photograph.jpg

https://www.filterforge.com/filters/1638.jpg

http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/782503/105741857/stock-vector-abstract-urban-digital-ornate-pixels-camouflage-texture-seamless-tiling-vector-105741857.jpg

There really isn't a pretty way of doing it. :rolleyes:

EDIT: oops! You're talking about City lights not textures... With that I would suggest making it have a more uniform spread of light throughout the texture as oppose to a few big spots. Like this:

http://orig15.deviantart.net/e64a/f/2009/202/2/e/gold_paint_splatter_by_latanafox.jpg

That would just look like noise from a distance rather than a repetitive pattern.

Yeah I think you're right, that middle pic of the futuristic city is awesome :D

And yeah I think the best way to handle city lights would be to have a mask as the clouds do, but then there is only really a need for that in massively oversized non-stock RSS planets :P

Yeah I think you're right, that middle pic of the futuristic city is awesome :D

And yeah I think the best way to handle city lights would be to have a mask as the clouds do, but then there is only really a need for that in massively oversized non-stock RSS planets :P

I actually used an image done by the same guy who created the futuristic city tile for my own (with heavy, heavy edits and overlay). I have a copy of the template textures I used which I could get to you when I get home if you like. It even has a normal and bump map texture!

EDIT: It was this page.

Don't quote me on that...

I actually used an image done by the same guy who created the futuristic city tile for my own (with heavy, heavy edits and overlay). I have a copy of the template textures I used which I could get to you when I get home if you like. It even has a normal and bump map texture!

EDIT: It was this page.

Don't quote me on that...

Ah nice, yeah... shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ;D

There's a handy "view seamless tiling" feature below each image when you click it as well. The main thing with WIP EVE that bugs me is that the textures aren't just plain tiled. They're flipped and then tiled. Is there a way to prevent this?

Edited by Avera9eJoe

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.