[WIP][1.0.5]* RSS Visual Enhancements (RVE)

pingopete

Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter  

2,062 members have voted

1. 1. Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter

• A) 1 main cloud layer, 1 cirrus layer (Medium/Compromise)
    • A) Low, Medium, High cloud layers (Heavy/Realistic)
    • B) Detail bias towards Land/Atmosphere visuals
    • B) Detail bias towards Orbit/Space visuals
    • C) Realism
    • C) Detail
    • C) CPU accessibility

[quote name='Pronoes']OK scratch Linux. Got frustrated and sacked it off.

Windows version now! 64 bit hack. Everything works beautifully except for...

[url]http://imgur.com/a/LK4AW[/url]
Uniform clouds. I've seen this issue before on the boards but after 4 hours of on and off searching for a solution and messing around, again I'm stumped and am resigned to asking if anyone knows a fix.
[url]http://i.imgur.com/0mgQDpx.jpg[/url][/QUOTE]

Is this with the latest scatterer version? Most people can't seem to get it running with RSS.

[quote name='blackrack']Is this with the latest scatterer version? Most people can't seem to get it running with RSS.[/QUOTE]

Yes latest Scatterer (downloaded about 5 hours ago through CKAN).

Is your advice to try an older version of scatterer?

[quote name='blackrack']No, just noticing how scatterer works for some and doesn't even start for others with RSS.[/QUOTE]

I think it's because there are so many versions of the dependencies and no updated instructions, particularly for RVE. "Download EVE from overhaul" is all well and good, but since install readme went up, there have been 5/10/15 iterations of EVE/scatterer/rve and the latest version of X is not always compatible with latest version of Y. Or someone has the latest version of RVE but needs the version of EVE that was 6 updates ago for example.

It's the nature of mod development for an evolving game with multiple dependencies and updates. This RVE thread was started nearly a year and a half ago now and will probably remain WIP for the same again. We've had 1.04 for a little while now, then 1.05 threw spanners in works. The 1.1 move to Unity 5 is looming then undoubtedly there will be a couple of months of bug fixes. It's tough to hit a moving target but respect to all mod creators for trying :)

Myself in this case found a little install guide where he had dated his download days so it was easy to find which version of EVE / RVE he was using.

Edit: Hope I don't come across as patronising! Can't teach grandma to suck eggs and all that! Edited by Pronoes

[quote name='Pronoes']I think it's because there are so many versions of the dependencies and no updated instructions, particularly for RVE. "Download EVE from overhaul" is all well and good, but since install readme went up, there have been 5/10/15 iterations of EVE/scatterer/rve and the latest version of X is not always compatible with latest version of Y. Or someone has the latest version of RVE but needs the version of EVE that was 6 updates ago for example.

It's the nature of mod development for an evolving game with multiple dependencies and updates. This RVE thread was started nearly a year and a half ago now and will probably remain WIP for the same again. We've had 1.04 for a little while now, then 1.05 threw spanners in works. The 1.1 move to Unity 5 is looming then undoubtedly there will be a couple of months of bug fixes. It's tough to hit a moving target but respect to all mod creators for trying :)

Myself in this case found a little install guide where he had dated his download days so it was easy to find which version of EVE / RVE he was using.

Edit: Hope I don't come across as patronising! Can't teach grandma to suck eggs and all that![/QUOTE]

Sorry pronos, RVE hasn't been updated to 1.0.5 fully yet, still waiting on some other dependencies first, and probably won't be pushing multiplanet configs until after 64 bit hits, it's hard enough getting Earth textures to run alone on x32 even when heavily downscaled :( There is a special branch on Github for Linux: [url]https://github.com/Pingopete/RVE-KSP-1.0.4/tree/Linux64[/url] ...but again it requires 1.0.4 and subsiquent RSS/Scatterer/EVEoverhaul versions Edited by pingopete

Last question for the evening.

Which, if any, mod handles the renaming of Kerbin to Earth? RSS does it ofc, but after adding RVE and corresponding stuff (EVE/Scatterer), it's renamed Kerbin. Is this how it is or did I break something?

[quote name='NathanKell']RVE currently undoes the renaming, since IIRC there were problems in Scatterer. blackrack, pingopete, are those problems fixed? Is it safe to leave the renaming in now?[/QUOTE]

I've been working with Blackrack to try and get it fixed, we appear to still have issues with the Earth naming system and scatterer, getting null refs and scatterer not loading for Earth. Blackrack is looking into it, but don't worry as soon as it gets fixed I'll be sure to switch over entirely to the proper naming system; everything but scatterer now works with it so not long! :)

[quote name='lextacy']anyway to get Venus to look like Venus? It looks like this:

[URL]http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/q561/chadro_6963/screenshot19.png[/URL]

Its just a plain ball of lava and boring.[/QUOTE]

Yeah most other planets haven't been adressed yet. It's the next thing on my todo list, just waiting for some multiplanet support and naming fixes for scatterer, then will launch straight into it. (On that note, does anyone know the best means of producing custom rings now? I was using kitopiatech before but that was a while back?) Edited by pingopete

[quote name='lextacy']anyway to get Venus to look like Venus? It looks like this:
Its just a plain ball of lava and boring.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps replace the RSS texture with something temporary that shows the clouds, then later when real clouds exist you can change the texture back to normal.

[quote name='pingopete']I've been working with Blackrack to try and get it fixed, we appear to still have issues with the Earth naming system and scatterer, getting null refs and scatterer not loading for Earth. Blackrack is looking into it, but don't worry as soon as it gets fixed I'll be sure to switch over entirely to the proper naming system; everything but scatterer now works with it so not long! :)

Yeah most other planets haven't been adressed yet. It's the next thing on my todo list, just waiting for some multiplanet support and naming fixes for scatterer, then will launch straight into it. (On that note, does anyone know the best means of producing custom rings now? I was using kitopiatech before but that was a while back?)[/QUOTE]
Pretty sure Kopernicus works the best now

[quote name='Felbourn']Perhaps replace the RSS texture with something temporary that shows the clouds, then later when real clouds exist you can change the texture back to normal.[/QUOTE]

i might try to color correct existing cloud textures and then make them the Venus ones for now. Might go for a tan hue. Thank you for a temporary fix to get me through!

[quote name='lextacy']i might try to color correct existing cloud textures and then make them the Venus ones for now. Might go for a tan hue. Thank you for a temporary fix to get me through![/QUOTE]

Searching around at the RVE repository, i found that the Venus cloud texture already exists (well, not as an actual cloud coverage texture but as a colored overlay). So, you can just open the EVE interface in the Tracking Station, find Venus and place the texture (named VenusCloud in the "Atmosphere" folder).

Hi everyone,
So I'm a noob here and in kerbal too. I decided to give a try to the Realism Overhaul mod and I really dig it. Big time!!
And I saw this mod......looks amazing on pictures.
But I can't really install it .... :(
I tried through CKAN but the results looks nothing like on the pictures
Could someone explain to me how to install this mod no the RO mod please?

[quote name='Pronoes']Hey guys. There's a couple of semi decent shots in a video I have recently uploaded using RVE if anyone wants to take a look. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX6V3pDWqKM[/url][/QUOTE]

Very nice. Is this a hacked setup or did you just ckan it all? I can handle a few hacks, if you tell me how you did it, but I'm not sure where RVE is at the moment. Is it 1.0.5 ready? Already have RO, RSS, and RP-0.

[quote name='Luxius']Very nice. Is this a hacked setup or did you just ckan it all? I can handle a few hacks, if you tell me how you did it, but I'm not sure where RVE is at the moment. Is it 1.0.5 ready? Already have RO, RSS, and RP-0.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the compliment. I forgot to record some footage, such as SRB seperation (I actually said "there's the money shot" to myself when I seperated, then realised I'd not hit record) and got a bit of corrupted footage but it's just a test / trial for a series I'm thinking of doing using RO/RSS/RVE.

I'm using 1.04 with 64 bit workaround and base instructions from [URL="https://www.reddit.com/r/RealSolarSystem/comments/3rm9dm/first_docking_in_rss_geminiatv_xpost_from_rksp/"]this thread[/URL]. In RVE/EVE/Atmosphere, I'm using RVEMaster textures with x86 config file. In RVE/EVE/CityLights I'm using RVEMaster textures & RVEMaster config and in RVE/EVE/Terrain I'm using RVEMaster Textures with x86 config file.

Basically, follow instructions as per Pingopetes readme. Make sure to get right EVE version (one dated from above thread works fine for me - check "releases" on github page). Install RVE as per x86 then copy Atmosphere textures, CityLights textures, CityLights config and Terrain textures from RVEmaster.

I'm not giving any guarantees it will work though!! Took me forever and a day of messing around with different downloads and setups to get it to work.

[quote name='Luxius']This means Linux, no? I'm on Windoze 7.

/Luxius[/QUOTE]

No. Windows with the 64 bit hack. There's a guide on these forums. Use at your own peril and do not expect support from mod makers while using it. Also search for 64 bit unfixer.

[quote name='Pronoes']Hey guys. There's a couple of semi decent shots in a video I have recently uploaded using RVE if anyone wants to take a look. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

[URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX6V3pDWqKM[/URL][/QUOTE]

hi, do you happen to have the RSS planet clouds in that RVE pack? Mostly I need the Venus stuff. The author has pulled all downloads of RVE due to complaints.

[quote name='lextacy']hi, do you happen to have the RSS planet clouds in that RVE pack? Mostly I need the Venus stuff. The author has pulled all downloads of RVE due to complaints.[/QUOTE]

Everything is on the github still ?

[quote name='Pronoes']Everything is on the github still ?[/QUOTE]

oohhhh crazy beans! That slipped by my radar, he must have just updated the GIB. The venus clouds are in there good deal. There is also the new auroras ! :D Im in for a loooooong night

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.