[WIP][1.0.5]* RSS Visual Enhancements (RVE)

pingopete

Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter  

2,062 members have voted

1. 1. Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter

• A) 1 main cloud layer, 1 cirrus layer (Medium/Compromise)
    • A) Low, Medium, High cloud layers (Heavy/Realistic)
    • B) Detail bias towards Land/Atmosphere visuals
    • B) Detail bias towards Orbit/Space visuals
    • C) Realism
    • C) Detail
    • C) CPU accessibility

15 hours ago, Chris P. Bacon said:

Happens to me too, I had assumed the sharedassets file was for KSP 104 and won't work with 105.

Yeah this is my first thought, unfortunately I'm not with the software I need to mod the latest shared assets until February  :/

>Shared Assets sun flare is not compatible with KSP 1.0.5 and may cause CTD!!<

Edited by pingopete

1 hour ago, pingopete said:

Yeah this is my first thought, unfortunately I'm not with the software I need to mod the latest shared assets until February  :/

>Shared Assets sun flare is not compatible with KSP 1.0.5 and may cause CTD!!<

I can second this; for a while, I could not determine what was the causing CTD's. Upon removing the Shared Assets flare, the CTD issue was fixed.

If I could ask you for your advice, Pingopete, what versions of Scatterer and EVE would you recommend for somebody who desires to play with RVE in their 1.0.5 RO+RSS install? I ask because I have been having issues using various versions of the above mods with my KSP 1.0.5. I am beginning to think that, as you stated above, it might just be better to wait until KSP 1.1 releases rather than suffering a plethora of headaches. I find it very, very difficult to play KSP without the cloud packs made for it, and if need be, then I shall wait to play RO+RSS until KSP 1.1 releases. Thank you for your time and all of the effort that you put into this mod, Pingopete; we all appreciate it!

@fallout 20 7 just a heads up. I use the newest version of scattered and eve and as long as you follow the op to this mod you're  good. Thats what I did for my install. I'm running rp-0, ro, and everything that goes with it

On Tuesday, January 05, 2016 at 5:32 PM, gonzo98x said:

@fallout 20 7 just a heads up. I use the newest version of scattered and eve and as long as you follow the op to this mod you're  good. Thats what I did for my install. I'm running rp-0, ro, and everything that goes with it

Thanks, my friend! I was following the instructions in the readme file, which may have been my problem.

Well, after following both sets of instructions, I still see a black set with clouds, as well as a failure for Scatterer to load shaders. If need be, I will post my output.log file. It isn't really a big deal, though; I can wait until KSP 1.1 releases and these mods follow suit.

Edited by fallout2077

Yeah, I'm having trouble getting it to work with 1.0.5 as well, on Ubuntu with the Linux64 build. I've avoided installing 1.0.5 up until this point because I was waiting for RVE to be updated, I only tried because other people seem to be having success with it.

Following the instructions on the OP, I used the latest x86-EVE-Release.zip from rbray's github + RVE Linux Branch + Scatterer with the modified RSS Earth+Mars settings for 1.0.5. Booting that up gives me no scatterer or RVE effects and RVE's settings menu doesn't appear when I use the hotkey. If I use the x86-Release.zip that pvnkb1tch linked to last page, RVE seems to function but Scatterer's shaders do not, I get the black sky/no atmos effects issue fallout2077 mentioned.

Edited by fade2blk

1 hour ago, fade2blk said:

Yeah, I'm having trouble getting it to work with 1.0.5 as well, on Ubuntu with the Linux64 build. I've avoided installing 1.0.5 up until this point because I was waiting for RVE to be updated, I only tried because other people seem to be having success with it.

Following the instructions on the OP, I used the latest x86-EVE-Release.zip from rbray's github + RVE Linux Branch + Scatterer with the modified RSS Earth+Mars settings for 1.0.5. Booting that up gives me no scatterer or RVE effects and RVE's settings menu doesn't appear when I use the hotkey. If I use the x86-Release.zip that pvnkb1tch linked to last page, RVE seems to function but Scatterer's shaders do not, I get the black sky/no atmos effects issue fallout2077 mentioned.

What scatterer rss modification are you doing? You have to install scatterer as-is with out the modified config for rss posted on the scatterer op. Sorry, depending on when 1.1 hits I may just wait till then, I get the feeling the nodding community will take a while to recovered from the update, mods that are dependencies for rve most likely 

Edited by pingopete

Sorry, should have clarified. I tried that first, followed your instructions strictly and just installed the core files without modifying anything, still couldn't get it working. I just tried it again, still no dice.

Steps:

Clean install KSP 1.0.5 Linux64 BuildID 01028, CKAN install of RO+RSS+Scatterer and recommended mods.
Extract EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements folder from latest x86-EVE-Release.zip to GameData.
Extract RVE and Scatterer folders from RVE-KSP-1.0.4-Linux64.zip to GameData.
Ensure there's no BoulderCo cloud textures/configs present & don't replace sharedassets9.assets because of CTD's.

This is the result when I run it. Can't access RVE's UI either. PC has 32GB of RAM so there's no memory issues.

2ijm3br.png

I've tried the config posted in the OP of the main Scatterer thread, then not extracting the Scatterer folder from RVE, and a bunch of other things that didn't work. My 1.0.4 install still runs flawlessly so it's fine, was just hoping to try some of those sweet new Scatterer waves.

Edited by fade2blk

15 hours ago, pingopete said:

What scatterer rss modification are you doing? You have to install scatterer as-is with out the modified config for rss posted on the scatterer op. Sorry, depending on when 1.1 hits I may just wait till then, I get the feeling the nodding community will take a while to recovered from the update, mods that are dependencies for rve most likely 

Although this comment wasn't directed at me, I will just state for the record that I tried using the newest versions of EVE and Scatterer, as gonzo98x said that he uses these and RVE works perfectly. Although, when I try running these with RVE, I receive the black sky that many others have alluded to. If you could suggest the recommended versions of EVE and Scatterer to use with RVE in KSP 1.0.5, I would appreciate it!

Edited by fallout2077

23 hours ago, fallout2077 said:

Although this comment wasn't directed at me, I will just state for the record that I tried using the newest versions of EVE and Scatterer, as gonzo98x said that he uses these and RVE works perfectly. Although, when I try running these with RVE, I receive the black sky that many others have alluded to. If you could suggest the recommended versions of EVE and Scatterer to use with RVE in KSP 1.0.5, I would appreciate it!

You need the latest EVE and Scatterer, however you'll need rss specific scatterer configs and proland shaders for the planets, else scatterer won't be able to find/load for Earth. I'd provide them here but I'm away from my PC until February unfortunately.

On 1/9/2016 at 1:08 PM, pingopete said:

You need the latest EVE and Scatterer, however you'll need rss specific scatterer configs and proland shaders for the planets, else scatterer won't be able to find/load for Earth. I'd provide them here but I'm away from my PC until February unfortunately.

No problem, my friend. I noticed in an earlier version of Scatterer some RSS configs, are those what you are referring to? I'll look up the exact version and I'll report back. Otherwise, I don't mind waiting.

Alright, I do believe the version in question is 0.0195. In the changelog for this version, Blackrack states that he fixed RSS compatibility. Off the top of your head, would the configs from this version suffice?

Well, apparently these aren't the correct configs, because Scatterer still fails to load the planets and I still see a black sky, as well as terrain glitches and whatnot. Oh well.

Edited by fallout2077
Updated with more info regarding incorrect Scatterer configs

On 1/9/2016 at 8:22 PM, fallout2077 said:

No problem, my friend. I noticed in an earlier version of Scatterer some RSS configs, are those what you are referring to? I'll look up the exact version and I'll report back. Otherwise, I don't mind waiting.

Alright, I do believe the version in question is 0.0195. In the changelog for this version, Blackrack states that he fixed RSS compatibility. Off the top of your head, would the configs from this version suffice?

Well, apparently these aren't the correct configs, because Scatterer still fails to load the planets and I still see a black sky, as well as terrain glitches and whatnot. Oh well.

I have it working on my side with current scatterer and adapted RVE's atmo heights cfgs, only thing right now I try to fix is the area between 130k and 160k meters up where the whole planet is just blue.

Hey folks. This is not an RVE problem, but I figure the RVE thread is the best place to find this answer. I'm using KSP 1.0.4 and RVE from that version plus some of the files from RVE 1.0.5 too to hobble together clouds on Venus. The video below shows a clipping problem I'm running into that maybe someone here knows what it is, and what I can change to mitigate or fix it?

Edited by Felbourn

Felbourn: it's around 9 I think for SS near, I've been trying to set that value in rss configs but it refuses to load them in game always reverting to the original settings 

Fallout: It's not just the configs but also  the proland shaders that need to be right. The older configs you speak of would be missing quite a number of lines that blackrack has since added but more importantly the 104 rve build is not made using the proper 'Earth' naming system; all entries are as kerbin instead. You'd need to change all the entries to work with earth for both EVE and Scatterer and then disable the cbnamelater line in rve.cfg, plus possibly re-make the proland shaders with the correct names too. I had already done this but not pushed to git,  like I said am away from my pc and thus files, until February unfortunately :(

Hope this helps explain the issues with rve in 105 

EDIT: oh and another important point to make is that rbray no longer maintains the overhaul branch of eve the one you want if your gonna try and do the above would be the mainline release without configs :) 

Edited by pingopete

Jooly kerman: 

22 hours ago, jooly kerman said:

how to install it

OK so before spamming the thread with stuff like this please observe how there are install instructions on this OP, on the github page and in the rve download readme.txt. This goes for all versions of rve for ksp1.0.4 and for all previous versions of RVE. The OP (original post) here also states that the current available version requires ksp 1.0.4. I would make a video to show how to download but honestly I've already provided the info necessary and 90% of everyone else has had little problem following these instructions. This is a WIP and is unfinished and therefor has many bugs, I am not currently able to do work on updating rve to ksp1.0.5 as I'm away from my pc.

EDIT: Sorry I just get this every other page :(

Edited by pingopete

On 1/11/2016 at 7:03 AM, pingopete said:

Felbourn: it's around 9 I think for SS near, I've been trying to set that value in rss configs but it refuses to load them in game always reverting to the original settings 

Fallout: It's not just the configs but also  the proland shaders that need to be right. The older configs you speak of would be missing quite a number of lines that blackrack has since added but more importantly the 104 rve build is not made using the proper 'Earth' naming system; all entries are as kerbin instead. You'd need to change all the entries to work with earth for both EVE and Scatterer and then disable the cbnamelater line in rve.cfg, plus possibly re-make the proland shaders with the correct names too. I had already done this but not pushed to git,  like I said am away from my pc and thus files, until February unfortunately :(

Hope this helps explain the issues with rve in 105 

EDIT: oh and another important point to make is that rbray no longer maintains the overhaul branch of eve the one you want if your gonna try and do the above would be the mainline release without configs :) 

Wow, I didn't realize just how complicated that these mods are... I'm impressed! For the sake of preventing headaches, I'll just wait for this amazing mod to be updated. Thank you for the help, Pingopete!

4 hours ago, jooly kerman said:

show video how to install RSS Visual Enhancements help my i am a small boy whats rss

help

I suggest that you cease with asking repeated questions regarding the mod's installation; you have already been told by the mod author himself to read the original post, and you are apparently failing to adhere to these instructions. You are filling the thread with unnecessary posts that seem to bring with them the intent at irritating the mod's author and the users within the thread.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.