Space Center -> (loading) Exit -> (loading) Quit game, yes really.

This is a minor issue but there are an annoying amount of windows and buttons to press if I want to quit the game.

The suggestion is to have a quit game button in the space center. Possibly also in the pause menu, but then the pause menu might be too cluttered.

ah, yes, tat's sensible. I was thinking from an actual flight. I know that I can Alt-f4 from a Dark souls save without ever going back to the menu, and it saves before closing (discovered that by not wanting to use the menu after a bonfire). So I figured it would be the same here.

If you're in the Space Centre there's pretty much nothing else to save.

Technically speaking, the act of packing the current ship into non-physics mode does not have to be accompanied by saving the permanent state on disk (AFAIK the game does not do it when you switch ships in map view) and while you're in Space Center time goes on and your ships keep moving along their orbits. But indeed, the game does save the current state when you enter Space Center.

If I want to quickly quit mid-flight, I quicksave then alt-F4.

Ah, the fun times with Alt-F4. Waaaay back when Starcraft was a new game, playing multi-player on Battle.net, I'd see some newb trying to type in cheat codes. I'd tell them they need to press alt-F4 to enable cheats :cool:..... But eventually Blizzard patched it with an "Are you sure you want to quit?" message

• 4 weeks later...

See:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/12/29/the-complete-rules-for-games/

DON’T make it difficult for me to quit. In fact, since I’m telling you how to do your jobs, you should add this new requirement. A quit button. I know, it sounds cuckoo-crazy, but bear with me. From anywhere in the game, I want to call up the menu (by pressing “Escape†– not by looking at a device strapped to my wrist, tabbing through three pages, and finding the four pixel button for the options) and then choose “Quit to desktopâ€Â. I do not want to quit to the main menu. I do not want to quit to the level selection screen. I do not want to quit to that insane screen that asks me to press a button to start. I want to quit the game. Completely. In one go. I don’t, because I’m some sort of insanely fussy old pickypants, want to go through each of those previous pages one by one, until I’ve eventually climbed back up enough ladders to see the crack of daylight that is escape. Yes, you can ask me if I’m sure, in case I select the wrong thing because you probably haven’t bothered to add mouse controls to your 360 port. And then, PING!, I’m back at my desktop ready to continue with my day. Leaving a game shouldn’t be more of a challenge than a boss fight.

I already spend far too much of my non-existent free time launching kerbals - having to navigate menus steals precious time I could be playing, or worse makes me late for whatever else I was supposed to be doing. Also, it is annoying.

Games that do this right have the two options on the ESC menu: quit to menu, and quit entire. It's no coincidence (ok, it probably is) that the two non-KSP games I've the most time in recently (XCom, Divinity:OS) both have this.

I does take quite a long time to exit the game and that's an issue.

For that matter, it takes a long time to get into a game as well. It would be better if the initial menu was expandable or something instead of going to a separate screen, the transition swipe is annoying at the least.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.