[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

Hmm, I too am a selectroot user, and I do believe I may have used the selectroot function to add extra batteries to my commsats when the mkIs died on the night side. That second payload of probes had the issue, but it was the second probe I tried to control, not first, and not counting the lift stages. It was odd because at first it would just not point in the right direction, it would be 90 degrees off in the same direction every time. MJ could point to a node fine though. I was only able to stop the spin with MJ if I made sure to stop sending kill rotation commands from the flight computer as well. It appeared to me that the issue was specifically a heading calculation error with the node command and somehow a spinning heading on the kill command.

RT at the moment has issues with unexpected root parts, whether you're using selectroot or whether you just started building your rocket from something other than the nose cone. Do issue #25 or issue #76 sound familiar?

Still trying to figure out what's actually causing this, sorry for the inconvenience.

Are feature requests entertained in this thread? I would like a difficulty setting that causes omnidirectional antennas to be able to automatically connect to only the nearest other omnidirectional antenna in range. Each antenna can only have one task at a time. If you want an active relay from A > B through C then C needs two antennas. This way, for instance, if we are controlling a rover on the surface, in order to minimize blackouts it benefits us to built commlink sats with enough antennas to maintain connections with each other (2), the relay back to kerbin from where ever you are AND the surface.

FYI, we're much less likely to overlook feature requests if they're posted on GitHub. As for limited bandwidth for omnis, something similar has been suggested as issue #116 and issue #127. We will look into it, but right now the RemoteTech group is running a little behind, as you've no doubt noticed. :(

Well I've spent my afternoon on this post and found some pseudo-useful info for my problem but I can't solve it definitely.

The thing is: I've extracted RT2 several times to my GameData folder (including modulemanager.2.2.2.dll and everything in the .zip) but it just doesn't seem to work.

Is there anything I'm supposed to do with modulemanager2.2.2.dll apart from copying it to /GameData folder?

Symptoms:

*I have all RT2 parts available, but none of them seem to work (can't open context menus with right click)

*I can still control any probe (it doesnt matter wether it has transmitting devices)

*I can see the new buttons on Map view and the red dot at KSC, but nothing else (when I open the sat list on the right side of the screen, a grey empty box shows up, even though I launched several sats)

*Even when starting a new carrer/sandbox nothing seems to change

From what I've found here already, my modulemanager isnt doing what it's supposed to (whatever that is). I'm running KSP on Steam, Windows 8.1 (blargh) x64 (I don't know if the game version is x64 or x86)

My KSP Folders:

http://imgur.com/a/jJWtZ

Does anyone have any ideas?

Very strange. It sounds like you've installed everything correctly. If you open KSP.log and search for "[ModuleManager]" (without the quotes), do you get messages saying it's working?

Hey. Maybe I'm reading things wrong, but I'm preeeeeety sure this should work and it isn't. Can anyone help me out?

http://imgur.com/a/RPNK9

The top satellite there has a kerbin SOI dish and the first omni. It has an active connection to my KSC. The bottom lander has the first omni, and is only about 250m away from the satellite. I launched them both together with the intention of using the top half as a relay for this and future landings, but for some reason the bottom one isn't connecting at all even though it should be able to connect to the relay and through that my KSC. Is there a maximum supported relays, or is there something else I'm missing?

Hey. Maybe I'm reading things wrong, but I'm preeeeeety sure this should work and it isn't. Can anyone help me out?

The top satellite there has a kerbin SOI dish and the first omni. It has an active connection to my KSC. The bottom lander has the first omni, and is only about 250m away from the satellite. I launched them both together with the intention of using the top half as a relay for this and future landings, but for some reason the bottom one isn't connecting at all even though it should be able to connect to the relay and through that my KSC. Is there a maximum supported relays, or is there something else I'm missing?

Did you try and goto KSC and then back to your Crafts sometimes that help.

I'm also having trouble getting things going. I launched 4 satellites into synchronous orbit around Kerbin with two in KSC line of sight at all times. Three of the satellites connect but for some reason I cannot get the fourth to see KSC at all. I have four of the big omni antennas on all of them (the 32). I also am trying to set up a network around Mun but cannot get the one satellite I have there to see KSC unless it's in direct line of sight. I had assumed that I only had to tell it to contact KSC and it would use the other satellites as a relay if it didn't have LOS. I have dishes on all of the satellites in Kerbin orbit.

Do I have to go in and set up every single dish and manually have them point at every other satellite?

Three of the satellites connect but for some reason I cannot get the fourth to see KSC at all. I have four of the big omni antennas on all of them (the 32).

The 32 should be more than ample from a synchronous orbit. Just to eliminate possibilities, you have the antennas extended on all four satellites?

I also am trying to set up a network around Mun but cannot get the one satellite I have there to see KSC unless it's in direct line of sight. I had assumed that I only had to tell it to contact KSC and it would use the other satellites as a relay if it didn't have LOS.

Try changing it to point at Kerbin, not KSC.

The 32 should be more than ample from a synchronous orbit. Just to eliminate possibilities, you have the antennas extended on all four satellites?

Try changing it to point at Kerbin, not KSC.

Yep. All four satellites have all four 32s deployed.

I've tried every combination of "point to" that I can think of. Pointing to Kerbin does nothing. I'm starting to think I've got mod conflicts or a botched install or something.

http://i.imgur.com/OrRp9Nl.jpg?1

The Commnotron 32 is out of range of the other satellites. Here's what a 4 satellite network looks like at 2800km altitude:

yUQ5K5l.png

(from this awesome tool)

Notice how the distance between two perfectly placed satellites is 4,800km? The 32's range is 5,000km. That's not a lot of room for error.

In your screenshot, your top and bottom satellites are pretty far off from ideal and causing the one on the right to be further than 5,000km away from both of them.

And this is why I put four birds at 2000 instead of full geosynchronous.

I'm seriously contemplating that. Either that or 5 or 6 at geosync.

ETA: Well I found the other part of my problem. I've been using the 88-88 because "it looks cool" not realizing it has a microscopic arc. I noticed the DTS-M1 I put on my tugboat worked fine but the 88-88 didn't. Whoops! I managed to get all of my satellites over Kerbin in range of each other and all with an orbital period of 1 day so hopefully they stay in range. I will have go up and add some batteries to each of them, though. Luckily I only had one satellite up in Munar orbit with the 88-88 to retrieve and replace then hopefully I can get my network with the DTS-M1 going.

Edited by mbs357

I'm seriously contemplating that. Either that or 5 or 6 at geosync.

What's more important is having 1) Enough satellites at an altitude where they can talk to each other 2) having the SMAs/orbital period on each satellite as close as possible so the network is stable without excessive station keeping. It's always a good idea to include RCS on a RemoteTech sat so you can fine-tune the orbit.

My Kerbin SOI network only has two satellites at geo synchronous, 120° separated from KSC. These exist to provide a continuous link to Minmus/Mun when KSC is over the horizon. The rest of Kerbin is covered by an initial 4 sat constellation at 700 KM and, when I unlock the Comm 32, another 4 sat constellation at 2000km.

If you don't want to have to babysit your network every couple months/years, get the satellites into orbit as close as you can, then use Hyperedit's "Align SMAs" function to automatically put all of them on the absolutely exactly same SMA, effectively disabling any drift.

can someone tell me what MODULE do i need to add so that a certain part.cfg has "localcontrol" but without kerbals?

You mean to use with out a connection or making it a probecore ?

EDIT- that was bad lol not sure if this is what you want

MODULE

{

name = ModuleSPU

}

and a probeCore
@PART[********]

{

MODULE

{

name = ModuleSPU

}

MODULE

{

name = ModuleRTAntennaPassive

OmniRange = 3000

TRANSMITTER

{

PacketInterval = 0.3

PacketSize = 2

PacketResourceCost = 15.0

}

}

}

Edited by Mecripp2

yeah i mean to use lets say a probe without connection but a connection would still be required

to transmit data

Think that is hardcoded so best guess is it's look for as crew= *** but there are some mods that have parts that let you do what you want sadly only one in mind is KSO alot of it's part let you do what you want.

EDIT- And that parts that let in that mod makes me think it's a Unity setting that RT looks at but that guessing again.

EDIT- looking at the part going to send you a PM

Edited by Mecripp2

What's more important is having 1) Enough satellites at an altitude where they can talk to each other 2) having the SMAs/orbital period on each satellite as close as possible so the network is stable without excessive station keeping. It's always a good idea to include RCS on a RemoteTech sat so you can fine-tune the orbit.

My Kerbin SOI network only has two satellites at geo synchronous, 120° separated from KSC. These exist to provide a continuous link to Minmus/Mun when KSC is over the horizon. The rest of Kerbin is covered by an initial 4 sat constellation at 700 KM and, when I unlock the Comm 32, another 4 sat constellation at 2000km.

I had pretty good luck with the ion drive limited to 50% thrust. Got my orbital period within miliseconds of eachother. Plus they have over 11,000 delta-v each so I can correct them for a looooon time.

I also have two with line of sight to KSC. Just seems like a good idea.

At Kerbal I managed to put 5 communication satelites in orbit at 200 km, spaced about evenly from each other. I realised it by simply launching all satelites one after onther until they got out of contact. After that I had to tweak their orbits to exactly 200km (+/- 0.1 ) at a distance of 850 km from each other.

just got this error and everything disappeared only the sun was visible in map view

was trying to set up 2 satellite dishes

also when changing from one craft to another i cant get back to previous by clicking on it and selecting switch to have to go to space center and then back to the craft

ksp 0.24.2 x32 win7 sp1 x64

ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.

Parameter name: index

at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[MapObject].get_Item (Int32 index) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PlanetariumCamera.SetTarget (Int32 tgtIdx) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MapView.enterMapView () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MapView.EnterMapView () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MapView.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

Logs

https://www.dropbox.com/s/clxiaypasu5gvci/KSP_Data.rar?dl=0

Edited by dtoxic

can someone tell me what MODULE do i need to add so that a certain part.cfg has "localcontrol" but without kerbals?

The important thing is what you don't have. Any part with ModuleCommand, regardless of its crew capacity, will give local control unless it also has ModuleSPU on the command part. A nonzero "minimum crew" setting in ModuleCommand will be honored for crewed pods, but ModuleCommand with a minimum crew of zero still counts as local control unless you also add ModuleSPU. The design is conservative to avoid making a manned ship "remote control only" unexpectedly.

Antennas still require a connection to transmit science no matter how the command pod is configured as long as they are transmitting with ModuleRTAntenna instead of the stock ModuleDataTransmitter.

So if you want to enforce RT2 for science transmission and not for control, just remove or edit RemoteTech_Squad_Probes.cfg so your preferred probe cores will still permit local control, but keep the antenna changes.

I found a quirk that I think is in RT2...

1. Make sure you have a satellite connection to launch area.

2. Make a small rocket (solid rocket booster) with a probe ready for launch on pad.

3. Bring up the RT computer and select RAD + then launch, or launch and select RAD + or prograde to surface.

On my system it would make the screen black but you still have interface control and looks like control of the rocket still, but no visual. ESC then go back to Space Center screen is still black and cannot select anything. ESC for menu and exit to main menu and reload save, problem persists. Must exit KSP all the way then go back in to save game.

Anyone else?

I have the exact same problem in combination with Realism Overhaul 6.0. You as well?