[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

The important thing is what you don't have. Any part with ModuleCommand, regardless of its crew capacity, will give local control unless it also has ModuleSPU on the command part. A nonzero "minimum crew" setting in ModuleCommand will be honored for crewed pods, but ModuleCommand with a minimum crew of zero still counts as local control unless you also add ModuleSPU. The design is conservative to avoid making a manned ship "remote control only" unexpectedly.

Antennas still require a connection to transmit science no matter how the command pod is configured as long as they are transmitting with ModuleRTAntenna instead of the stock ModuleDataTransmitter.

So if you want to enforce RT2 for science transmission and not for control, just remove or edit RemoteTech_Squad_Probes.cfg so your preferred probe cores will still permit local control, but keep the antenna changes.

so if i got you right i should remove ModuleSPU and make shure i have ModuleCommand and ill have Localcontrol but will require Antena connection for data transmittance ?

Please help me I have a serious problem, my remote tech is malfunctioning because the textures have been replaced with pink icons.

Can someone offer me help, please!

Delete and reinstall the mod, and make sure while reinstalling that everything goes in <KSP directory>/GameData/RemoteTech2. For example, your textures directory should be Kerbal Space Program/GameData/RemoteTech2/Textures. Don't rename anything, don't reorganize anything, don't add extra folders. It should work after that.

just got this error and everything disappeared only the sun was visible in map view

was trying to set up 2 satellite dishes

also when changing from one craft to another i cant get back to previous by clicking on it and selecting switch to have to go to space center and then back to the craft

ksp 0.24.2 x32 win7 sp1 x64

Logs

https://www.dropbox.com/s/clxiaypasu5gvci/KSP_Data.rar?dl=0

Hmm... the log doesn't say anything directly related to RemoteTech is causing errors... :/

You have a lot of mods installed, and at least two (LTScience and LTech, which I assume are the same thing?) throw exceptions before the one you pointed to. Do you think you could whittle down the mod list a little (e.g. with a seperate test install) and see which mods are absolutely required to produce the error?

I ran into an issue that isn't really RemoteTech's fault, but I thought of something that would potentially help and was wondering if there's an easy way to accomplish it... (tl;dr at bottom)

After starting a new game last week with RemoteTech added to my usual slew of mods I got to the point of having a rather large number of relays for the various planets I was visiting, plus some interplanetary relays. I had perfectly uninterrupted coverage set up for Kerbin, Duna, and Eve, as well as all their respective moons, which left me with 22 satellites scattered around the system, plus a handful of ships and probes floating around bouncing signals somewhat incidentally. This started to have a noticeable impact on the game's performance (whenever I went into the map I got the yellow "slowing down time" clock in the corner), and it's finally reached the point where upon visiting the tracking station the game just freezes. I'm not sure if the issue was simply the number of ships, or the large number of hops some connections required, but editing my save file to chop a few unnecessary ships out did get me playing again. I'm hesitant to launch any new ships or set up relays at any new planets for fear of breaking things though...

So, I was thinking, I really like the game mechanics RemoteTech adds, but I was wondering if there's something in the settings that could be tweaked or added to allow communications to ignore planetary interference (no line-of-sight checks). I know this would abandon a fair bit of realism, kinda making it a "RemoteTech Lite", but being able to get away with one relay per planet sounds like a nice intermediate step and would allow me to drastically downsize my fleet of satellites...

tl;dr: Can RemoteTech be tweaked to ignore line of sight checking for connections?

I have done that many times already (before) and it never worked, also just mentioning, my computer is a macintosh.

I have decided to download it from a different site and test it, but with the way my luck is going its more likely that grass will grow on my head.

Not sure if this is a bug or i'm missing something but for some reason if a ships been in space for a while it no longer seems to route back to mission control.

Batteries are fine, all the satellites on the route back are all green... so seems a bit... odd so just wondering if i'm just going mad! :P

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hkk5ah4zsd4ehga/RTerror.png?dl=0

I got a strange little problem and I'm not 100% sure if it's remote tech or stock that's causing it:

Some if not most transmissions get semi-interrupted (like when electricity runs out complete with the green status telling you x data has been sent for y science) for no apparent reason. In most cases that's not a big deal but when there's only relatively little science left to transmit, nothing might make it back to Kerbin.

Typical situation: In high orbit around Minmus, using a KR-7 in cone mode to connect to my LKO system/Mission control. The first gravity scan transmission might get interrupted, but I still get science out of it. The second transmission says it's worth 10 science (or thereabouts) but nothing makes it through since after 6 data packages it temporarily interrupts only to resume immediately. Neither part-transmission gives any science. Electricity is not a problem and neither is connectivity. Still had tons of EC left (~6000 with several panels deployed).

What kind of helped sometimes is increasing the maximal physical time-delta from 0.04 to 0.1 - for some reason my game is running rather slow and even a modest sized ship gets me into yellow time. Might be some weird issues with that.

I'm using 32-bit KSP .24.2 with open-gl. Mods that might interfere with this is Kerbal Joint Reinforcement (since it might affect physical time delta).

I need some help...

So something strange is happening. I've built this tower close to my KSP Center, and I have it all set up, it works perfectly, it has satellite dishes and the 32/16 antennas, here's a pic of it: http://i.imgur.com/HeaEi8m.png. But... when I launch a plane to fly on the runway, for some strange reason, all the antennas suddenly break, here are some pictures: http://i.imgur.com/Hgs7hkv.png & http://i.imgur.com/M1rkZKG.png. I have no clue why this is happening since one moment it's fine, and the next it is suddenly broken :/. It would be awesome if someone could help me. If you need a log from my game, tell me how since I don't mess around with the KSP files :P

-Thanks

I have done that many times already (before) and it never worked, also just mentioning, my computer is a macintosh.

There's definitely something up with your install or video drivers. RemoteTech's textures are just fine for me on my Mac. Try a test install consisting ONLY of stock and RemoteTech. And please post a screenshot showing your GameData folder.

file://localhost/Users/user/Desktop/Screen%20Shot%202014-09-17%20at%205.42.48%20PM.png

Is this it, I don't really now how to put a screenshot into this.

By the way I have so many mods that it looks like I will be trying to do what you said for quiet a while.

file://localhost/Users/user/Desktop/Screen%20Shot%202014-09-17%20at%205.42.48%20PM.png

Is this it, I don't really now how to put a screenshot into this.

Two steps:

1. upload your screenshot file to a remote online host that allows to link directly: most used here is imgur;

2. find the link from that site and paste it into your post, checking the tags are correct.

can I change the dishes to be omnidirectional like antennas (so I don't have to set them up all the time)?

Yes you can if thats what you want you can edit the CFG

MODULE

{

name = ModuleRTAntenna

Mode0DishRange = 0 <----------------change to Mode0OmniRange = 0

Mode1DishRange = 50000000 <--------------Mode1OmniRange = 50000000

EnergyCost = 0.82

DishAngle = 45.0

tl;dr: Can RemoteTech be tweaked to ignore line of sight checking for connections?

RemoteTech does have a cheat mode, yes. Go to the debug menu (alt+F11? F11? something like that) and turn on infinite EVA fuel. That disables line of sight checking.

Why does the Reflectron GX-128 have 22MB worth of textures? That's a relatively large footprint compared to the other dishes. It's larger yes, but doesn't seem that much more detailed

Short version: because it was the first RT antenna ever made. Long version here.

If you or anybody else would like to submit a replacement dish, be my guest, but I don't think we have any modelers on the team at the moment.

I got a strange little problem and I'm not 100% sure if it's remote tech or stock that's causing it:

Some if not most transmissions get semi-interrupted (like when electricity runs out complete with the green status telling you x data has been sent for y science) for no apparent reason. In most cases that's not a big deal but when there's only relatively little science left to transmit, nothing might make it back to Kerbin.

I've run into that bug myself, and I'm pretty-ish sure it's stock. My preferred workaround is boosting the time warp rate (since packets are sent based on real time, not game time) until the transmission is slow enough that my solar panels can keep up. Hadn't thought of changing physical delta, I don't like messing with options when I don't know what they do. ;)

I need some help...

So something strange is happening. I've built this tower close to my KSP Center, and I have it all set up, it works perfectly, it has satellite dishes and the 32/16 antennas, here's a pic of it: http://i.imgur.com/HeaEi8m.png. But... when I launch a plane to fly on the runway, for some strange reason, all the antennas suddenly break, here are some pictures: http://i.imgur.com/Hgs7hkv.png & http://i.imgur.com/M1rkZKG.png. I have no clue why this is happening since one moment it's fine, and the next it is suddenly broken :/. It would be awesome if someone could help me. If you need a log from my game, tell me how since I don't mess around with the KSP files :P

-Thanks

That is weird, especially since it looks like you're losing atmosphere-proof dishes. I can't guarantee that it's a RemoteTech bug, though, since you seem to have a lot of mods installed.

You can find the log in <KSP directory/KSP_Data/output_log.txt (or KSP_x64_Data if you're playing 64-bit KSP). Upload it to a site like dropbox or gist instead of posting it directly, because the log gets VERY long.

Why does the Reflectron GX-128 have 22MB worth of textures?

Short version: because it was the first RT antenna ever made. Long version here.

If you or anybody else would like to submit a replacement dish, be my guest, but I don't think we have any modelers on the team at the moment.

I will have to dig up that mbm2png converter, I used it before and it worked well

I've looked at that satdish before, it has seven different 1024px x 1024px textures:

• 3 for the reflective (orange) side of the dish, which I think is texture + bump + (maybe) specular
  • 1 for the non-reflective underside of the dish
  • 1 for the flat cylindrical base
  • 1 looks like it's for the tip of the telescoping receiver bit
  • 1 which I'm guessing is the length of the telescoping receiver bit

So the reflective dish is actually quite detailed, while at the same time the last two items in the list are overkill and could afford to be drastically reduced in texture resolution. So besides using mbm2png which gets you down to about 3+MB, you can eke out a bit more savings by scaling those textures down -- they are model001 and model006.

I also happen to be working on an astromesh model at the moment and would be happy to contribute that to RT2 if you guys will take it. I don't think those things retract once deployed, though -- which may pose an interesting choice for players if you impose this limitation but then balance it in terms of cost/mass/comm range/power consumption.

That is weird, especially since it looks like you're losing atmosphere-proof dishes. I can't guarantee that it's a RemoteTech bug, though, since you seem to have a lot of mods installed.

You can find the log in <KSP directory/KSP_Data/output_log.txt (or KSP_x64_Data if you're playing 64-bit KSP). Upload it to a site like dropbox or gist instead of posting it directly, because the log gets VERY long.

Ok, here's the output log. Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vm74lu2mjbdxh45/output_log.txt?dl=0

Can anybody give me a quick idea of how to land an unmanned probe back on Kerbin? I have a good comsat network around Kerbin, but when I undergo atmospheric reentry I either have to retract my antenna or have it get ripped off, both of which kill my connection.

Can anybody give me a quick idea of how to land an unmanned probe back on Kerbin? I have a good comsat network around Kerbin, but when I undergo atmospheric reentry I either have to retract my antenna or have it get ripped off, both of which kill my connection.

I just tend to set it to orbit around 80k until it picks up a connection to KSC but I rarely send probes home, lol!

For 360 coverage, you could setup satellites at 200km, 5 is doable but 6 if you have trouble spacing.

use omni antenna (reflectron) the basic one, that one wont break when entering atmosphere but it's only 500km so plan accordingly

i wonder it is posible to add one more huge omnidirectional antena that will have big range but will be to big to any small ship so it willl be god only for satelites or ground/orbital bases?(i now omnidirectional should have limits but i think that we could have from them a litlle bite more than from com32 aspacjaly in vacum)

I've run into that bug myself, and I'm pretty-ish sure it's stock. My preferred workaround is boosting the time warp rate (since packets are sent based on real time, not game time) until the transmission is slow enough that my solar panels can keep up. Hadn't thought of changing physical delta, I don't like messing with options when I don't know what they do. ;)

Warping doesn't help.

I actually don't get the orange warnings that I've run out of EC, only the green status of a partial transmission, as I do have enough EC. What's even weirder is that I sometimes the green status tells me that only 2 science of my 32 have been transmitted (without partial transmissions this time), yet 26 have actually arrived at Kerbin (and in my science pool). Then sometimes the transmissions actually work as expected.

It's all very strange.

A quick question. How is range calculated? I read references to different "models". Is there some settings I can tweak? In the past (I've been aways for a while) the default model seemed to be that the range of the antenna with the shortest reach determines at what distance a connection is possible. This is not very realistic, and I wonder if a more realistic model is now available?

There are two ways I've handled it:

1. Stick communitron 16's with batteries and 4 solar panels on every bit of space junk that gets into orbit, eventually this gives you excellent low kerbal orbit coverage, wherever you are landing with the reflectron.

2. Early on, use real chutes where you can arm the probe's parachutes before entry and then get the probe into the right orientation FAR wise for re-entry (the drogue deploying will keep it at the right angle) until your antenna burns up.

I would love a longer range omni antenna for Eve landings!

Klockheed Martian Smart Parts. Use the altitude controller to re-deploy your Comm-16 via action group after your chutes have opened.