[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

I need some help. I am setting up a Communications network for Kerbin. I have the first satellite up in Kerbin stationary orbit. When I tried to launch the second, I had connections to both the satellite and KSP control, but despite the two green lines, I was unable to control the second satellite.

I need some help. I am setting up a Communications network for Kerbin. I have the first satellite up in Kerbin stationary orbit. When I tried to launch the second, I had connections to both the satellite and KSP control, but despite the two green lines, I was unable to control the second satellite.

perhaps this will help:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/90113-WEB-Visual-RemoteTech-Planner-for-MOD-RemoteTech2

hey guys, just wondering if theres a way to get remote tech and mechjeb to play together in a more realistic fashion. for example i would like mechjeb to be able to carry out autopilot functions out of contact range (if autopilot engaged prior to los of contact).

obviously there is the flight computer, but that doesnt respond to conditions - i am mostly concerned with landing/ascent more than manoeuvre nodes.

Yeah I thought about this, Mechjeb has no integration, alternatively I'll try and learn to use kOS (scriptable auto-pilot), it has an option to work with remotetech. kinda initially hard but has exactly what we want as a programmable auto pilot, very similar to what happens with real world probes that are too far away to be controlled.

Also make sure you have power on your batteries, if you're using dish antennae make sure they're pointed correctly. if the little icon for the flight computer is green you have control, if red you don't.

Yeah I thought about this, Mechjeb has no integration, alternatively I'll try and learn to use kOS (scriptable auto-pilot), it has an option to work with remotetech. kinda initially hard but has exactly what we want as a programmable auto pilot, very similar to what happens with real world probes that are too far away to be controlled.

I wrestle with a similar problem - turning off speed-of-light delays just so I can effect unmanned landings seems too cheaty, but scripting everything with kOS feels too much like work. I've started using Xander's excellent Landertron rockets to create a hybrid system. Using the landertrons, my landing profile looks more or less like:

- Enter suborbital descent

- Point orbital retrograde

- Burn for more-or-less enough dV to finish the burn about 30-60 seconds before landing, and with two-hundredish dV still outstanding

- Arm the landertrons

- Extend the gear

- Point surface-velocity retrograde

- Let the magic happen

This is easy enough to set up using the existing flight computer, works pretty well most of the time, and is always exciting to watch.

Well since the Communitron 44-44, and Communitron 22-22 are basisicly configurations, of the Communitron 88-88, for the time being ,we can use the same model.

Unfortunately, placeholder models are a compatibility nightmare; updating them can (literally) break every vessel that uses them.

Also, while thinking about what could be used as a placeholder, I realized something that seems a little obvious in hindsight: a number of people have complained about losing contact because they were using the Reflectron KR-7 when they thought they had the KR-14, or vice versa. It's probably not a coincidence that these are the only two dishes in RemoteTech that look almost identical.

Since we've got a good list of model-related issues at this point, maybe I should put out a help wanted ad.

I got a question to the development team about a feature that Cilph was working on before haven to resign from development, namely bouncing off the signals off the atmosphere allowing greater ranges,has that idea been scrapped completely

It hasn't been scrapped, but it was very ambitious. I don't think anybody feels ready to take it on just yet, I certainly don't.

I guess it is something like: Total range = Max range + (sum of additional ranges * Multiple Antenna Multiplier)

Example: 2500 + 4*2500*0.25 = 2500 + 2500 = 5000 km

That formula looks about right. To answer your original question, though, there is no such thing as a "realistic" value, because antenna sensitivity does not scale linearly with either receiver power or antenna length. I would think (in a spherical cow approximation, so feel free to correct me) that it should actually be a square root dependence on the individual ranges.

Can you maybe post a screenshot? That sounds like a bug, especially if you're using omnis for everything.

Neither MechJeb nor kOS have official integration at the moment. MechJeb integration will have to wait until a coding genius comes along (if you are such a genius, please read the discussion at https://github.com/MuMech/MechJeb2/issues/382 and come up with a solution); for now my preferred workaround is to disable MechJeb getting treated as a probe core. I'm not sure about the status of kOS integration, you'll have to ask Erendrake about that.

I wrestle with a similar problem - turning off speed-of-light delays just so I can effect unmanned landings seems too cheaty, but scripting everything with kOS feels too much like work. I've started using Xander's excellent Landertron rockets to create a hybrid system.

Very nice. I assume these rockets adjust thrust individually, instead of hijacking the player's throttle (which is essentially why we don't have MechJeb compatibility, because both mods try to filter user input)?

Edited by Starstrider42

I assume these rockets adjust thrust individually, instead of hijacking the player's throttle...

You are correct, they are 'self-contained' and operate independently of player control inputs.

Unfortunately, placeholder models are a compatibility nightmare; updating them can (literally) break every vessel that uses them.

Also, while thinking about what could be used as a placeholder, I realized something that seems a little obvious in hindsight: a number of people have complained about losing contact because they were using the Reflectron KR-7 when they thought they had the KR-14, or vice versa. It's probably not a coincidence that these are the only two dishes in RemoteTech that look almost identical.

Since we've got a good list of model-related issues at this point, maybe I should put out a help wanted ad.

Good points, but instead of doing it old school with a new model, why not try an out of the box solution? The Communotron 88-88 is a foldable antenna right? Imagine a state where the antenna is not fully unfolded. Its shape would be slightly different, effectively giving it a few degrees higher cone diameter. Now Imagine we can switch at will between its fully unfolded state, giving maximum range , and not fully unfolded state, making it effectively behave as a medium to lower range communication dish. The medium range and cone diameter are 2.000.000 km with 1.2 degree cone and 500.000 km with 4.8 degree for short range. These settings would be perfect to allow the user it to stay in contact with all KEO Communication satellites while traveling to Asteroids or nearby planets. Now we suddenly have a 3 into 1 dish that does require another model. We only need a programmer to add the ability to switch it maximum range and Cone diameter between long range, medium range and short range with a button. We can even make it better by making it upgradable. By first only allowing short to medium range and unlock long range with more advanced technology.

Edited by FreeThinker

So I had a weird thing happen one of my rockets which had a kerbal attached freaked out on me and converted the kerbal to debris. When I got him converted back to a kerbal and not debris almost all my omnis stopped functioning.

Any ideas?

Anything I need to look for in the persistence file?

I'm trying to find out if this mod is compatible with kOS. I want to do mission like NASA rover to Mars. I want to have to deal with signal delay until time for kOS to run a landing script, then have to deal with the delay again for moving the rover around.

Is this possible?

I will be posting this in kOS forum also.

I'm trying to find out if this mod is compatible with kOS. I want to do mission like NASA rover to Mars. I want to have to deal with signal delay until time for kOS to run a landing script, then have to deal with the delay again for moving the rover around.

Is this possible?

Yes you can, but in order so experience the same lag as you would on Mars , you need to lower the speed of light. I would use 10000000 m/s which is about 1/32 of the speed of light.

P.S. I forgot a 0 :X

Edited by FreeThinker

Good points, but instead of doing it old school with a new model, why not try an out of the box solution? The Communotron 88-88 is a foldable antenna right? Imagine a state where the antenna is not fully unfolded. Its shape would be slightly different, effectively giving it a few degrees higher cone diameter. Now Imagine we can switch at will between its fully unfolded state, giving maximum range , and not fully unfolded state, making it effectively behave as a medium to lower range communication dish. The medium range and cone diameter are 2.000.000 km with 1.2 degree cone and 500.000 km with 4.8 degree for short range. These settings would be perfect to allow the user it to stay in contact with all KEO Communication satellites while traveling to Asteroids or nearby planets. Now we suddenly have a 3 into 1 dish that does require another model. We only need a programmer to add the ability to switch it maximum range and Cone diameter between long range, medium range and short range with a button. We can even make it better by making it upgradable. By first only allowing short to medium range and unlock long range with more advanced technology.

An interesting idea (and variable dish capabilities have already been suggested, for the record), but it amounts to a complete rework of the dish code.

Having given the issue some more thought, though, I think I see a way to deal with placeholders a little better than was done with the SS-5 and LL-5. It should be possible to make the eventual upgrade more transparent to players.

So I had a weird thing happen one of my rockets which had a kerbal attached freaked out on me and converted the kerbal to debris. When I got him converted back to a kerbal and not debris almost all my omnis stopped functioning.

Any ideas?

Anything I need to look for in the persistence file?

Sorry, I have no idea what you're talking about. How do you "convert" a dead kerbal?

As noted above, kOS compatibility is incomplete. The kOS forum is the best place to ask, since all I can tell you is "use at your own risk".

Yes you can, but in order so experience the same lag as you would on Mars , you need to lower the speed of light. I would use 10000000 m/s which is about 1/32 of the speed of light.

The kerbol system is 1/10 a real planetary system's scale, in both planet sizes and planet orbits, so 1/10 the speed of light would be more appropriate. The Mun was designed to be a little easier to reach than the Moon, so it's not a good basis for comparison.

However, I should warn you that I've tried 1/10 the speed of light, and it's pretty boring. So I'd recommend that setting only if you really have the patience for it.

However, I should warn you that I've tried 1/10 the speed of light, and it's pretty boring. So I'd recommend that setting only if you really have the patience for it.

Booring? why so? it sound more challenging to me to experience real delays. It also would give more more incentive to send manned missions

Booring? why so? it sound more challenging to me to experience real delays. It also would give more more incentive to send manned missions

Not really. A 10-minute delay is, at least for orbital missions, as challenging as a 1-minute delay. You just need more time warping.

I wasn't trying to belittle the idea, just giving a heads-up.

He was labeled as debris he wasn't dead though I just had no control over him.

type = Debris
sit = LANDED

However I made a junk save to compare too, the omni's functioned properly so I compared the save file to mine

MODULE
{
name = ModuleRTDataTransmitter
isEnabled = True
EVENTS
{
}
ACTIONS
{
}
}

This was missing from all my long antennas. I added it but they still don't seem to talk to each other.

It seems to be sepecific to this save though.

Thanks

~Ark

is compatible for x64?

Nothing is really compatible with Win x64. Unity doesn't much care what architecture it's running on, since all of the plugins are mono (Microsoft's .Net architecture agnostic bytecode) and are interpreted in real time.

where most things will disable themselves or not support x64 is because Win x64 itself is not stable. like, really not stable. Like, "log rolling championships during a hurricane" not stable. the unmodded release runs ok, almost, mostly, but adding even one mod, gives you a much higher chance of crashing due to memory access issues, and the closer you get to the 32-bit memory limit, the more likely it is to blow itself up, regardless of what mods you use.

Linux x64 and Mac x64 SHOULD run ok.

I seem to be having issues with the Reflectron DP-10- it breaks off in the atmosphere (which I thought it wasn't supposed to do) and my craft doesn't seem to be actively using it (the probe loses connection after going out of the range of the built-in antenna. Am I missing something?

Alternatively: is there a way to disable the features of RT but keep the parts as standard antennae? I really dig the look of huge dishes on my crafts, but I don't particularly care for the hassle of setting up comm networks and such. I tried just deleting the RT .dll, but that seems to break all the regular antennae.

I seem to be having issues with the Reflectron DP-10- it breaks off in the atmosphere (which I thought it wasn't supposed to do) and my craft doesn't seem to be actively using it (the probe loses connection after going out of the range of the built-in antenna. Am I missing something?

If you're using FAR, it can decide the antenna isn't attached to the ship securely enough. There's nothing RemoteTech can do to override that. However, I've found the antenna only breaks off if mounted horizontally; if you mount it vertically (i.e., parallel to the airflow), it's fine.

As for the connection loss, I think I'd need a screenshot and/or craft file. (I assume this happens *before* FAR breaks it off? ;))

Alternatively: is there a way to disable the features of RT but keep the parts as standard antennae? I really dig the look of huge dishes on my crafts, but I don't particularly care for the hassle of setting up comm networks and such. I tried just deleting the RT .dll, but that seems to break all the regular antennae.

In addition to deleting RemoteTech.dll, you need to delete all the *_Antennas.cfg files. Those delete the stock antenna functions to keep them from conflicting with RemoteTech. That would let the stock antennas work again. It won't make the new RemoteTech antennas work in stock; for that, you'd need a special config file. I thought there was one somewhere on this thread, but I haven't been able to find it. :(

Linux x64 and Mac x64 SHOULD run ok.

Max x64 doesn't exist yet though :( I blame unity :P

Did you guys see these antennas yet? I know there was some talk about antenna models a few pages back(?), so maybe they might help that situation. I think tantares modpack added a new 'big' RT antenna too.

Sorry if the question has already been asked :

Is there a way to have an alert when a "lost" probe comes back online, connexion back up ?

Not yet, no. Are you talking about something to cut time warp when your current probe has a connection, or are you trying to get an alert for every satellite in your entire network?