[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

First pic don't see a probecore on the craft and 2nd pic can't tell if you have line of sight but also looks like you made it with out the probecore and attached one to a docking port but all in there looks like you have a problem why is the one icon all white do you have errors in your log ?

EDIT- your connotation, I would bet should show red and looks like you have control all the time.

Thanks for the quick response! No, my lander is manned and therefore does not have a probe core. Is that necessary to establish the relay? The white icon is just for VOID, but it's always been that way and I'm not aware of any errors (good eye though). Both the station and lander are always yellow. I've put antennae on manned vessels without probe cores before and been able to connect to KSC. I think I found a good illustration of my problem below. The manned lander (no core) is linking to the manned station (core and kerbals present). The station is connecting to KSC when I switch to it, but the connection ends at the station when I'm controlling the lander.

Controlling lander:

FaWPa8n.png

Controlling station:

ltbVmm9.png

Thanks for the quick response! No, my lander is manned and therefore does not have a probe core. Is that necessary to establish the relay? The white icon is just for VOID, but it's always been that way and I'm not aware of any errors (good eye though). Both the station and lander are always yellow. I've put antennae on manned vessels without probe cores before and been able to connect to KSC. I think I found a good illustration of my problem below. The manned lander (no core) is linking to the manned station (core and kerbals present). The station is connecting to KSC when I switch to it, but the connection ends at the station when I'm controlling the lander.

Controlling lander:

http://i.imgur.com/FaWPa8n.png

Controlling station:

http://i.imgur.com/ltbVmm9.png

Sounds like you have the connection from your LKO satellites put on "active vessel" so when you stop controlling the station, nothing connects to it.

I'd go to the satellites around kerbin and target a couple of them at your station and visa versa with the station and the satellites to establish constant connection

Sounds like you have the connection from your LKO satellites put on "active vessel" so when you stop controlling the station, nothing connects to it.

I'd go to the satellites around kerbin and target a couple of them at your station and visa versa with the station and the satellites to establish constant connection

Ahhh, I'm such an idiot. That's exactly what happened. I'm sorry, but thanks so much for your help. I'll just see myself out.

All good. I think everyone makes that mistake at least once. It's not very intuitive.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure if this is the standard behaviour now or if it's just my setup, but are RT antennae supposed to have their extension animation decoupled from whether they're activated or not? It used to be that when I activated the antenna, it would then extend automatically. Now the activation and extension have separate buttons.

So no one else is having their omnis not extend when activated?

All good. I think everyone makes that mistake at least once. It's not very intuitive.

- - - Updated - - -[/color

So no one else is having their omnis not extend when activated?

What mod antenna are you using some mod's patchs, I write are like that but at the time that just how it had to work.

Do you have FAR installed? Its assistive flight modes will "fight" RemoteTech's flight computer if they're enabled.

No FAR. Running Stock. Now it appears to be something to do with my ship?? I tried a couple test ships and the nav computer pointed to node and killed rotation just fine. But when I go back to my sat deployer the nav computer loses it's mind. I press node or kill and the ship just starts spinning like a top!

mechjeb node and kill work fine. If I try to use the rt2 node or kill the ship spins out of control.

I have stripped the craft file down to the minimum. It still requires the B-3K batttery from near future propulsion, and the TVR-300L tri 1.25m adapter and to be honest I do not know what mod that 3x1.25 adapter comes from. Here is a link to the craft file could someone please test it and see if it spazis out when you try to use the rt2 flight computer "node" or "kill" controls. Just extend the com32 on the side of the main tank, put it into orbit, nad press rt2 kill button for me it then spins like a top along the longitudinal axis. Same behavior if I create a node and then press the node button.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5501128/rt2_bug/ctb%20-%203%20way%20dep%20SR%20commsat%20rt2bug.craft

Edited by ctbram

No FAR. Running Stock. Now it appears to be something to do with my ship?? I tried a couple test ships and the nav computer pointed to node and killed rotation just fine. But when I go back to my sat deployer the nav computer loses it's mind. I press node or kill and the ship just starts spinning like a top!

mechjeb node and kill work fine. If I try to use the rt2 node or kill the ship spins out of control.

I have stripped the craft file down to the minimum. It still requires the B-3K batttery from near future propulsion, and the TVR-300L tri 1.25m adapter and to be honest I do not know what mod that 3x1.25 adapter comes from. Here is a link to the craft file could someone please test it and see if it spazis out when you try to use the rt2 flight computer "node" or "kill" controls. Just extend the com32 on the side of the main tank, put it into orbit, nad press rt2 kill button for me it then spins like a top along the longitudinal axis. Same behavior if I create a node and then press the node button.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5501128/rt2_bug/ctb%20-%203%20way%20dep%20SR%20commsat%20rt2bug.craft

okay it was something about the craft file itself. I have been moving craft files between game folders and something about that craft file was causing rt2 flight computer to go insane. I just rebuilt that section (the transfer stage) of the ship and now rt2 flight computer is behaving. What bewilders me is how MJ was able to control it just fine but the rt2 flight computer just made it spin like a top.

Hi,

i want to release our new version v1.6 soon and i need you to help me testing this version. If you want to help please backup your save before downloading the new version.

Bugtracker: https://github.com/RemoteTechnologiesGroup/RemoteTech/issues

Download: https://github.com/RemoteTechnologiesGroup/RemoteTech/releases/tag/build-1.6.0-198

Changelog:

Flightcomputer

- added a new button to the manuel delay field to set the manuel delay

- added a new button to every queued command to set the manuel delay right after the queued one

- added tooltips for both new buttons

- Save/Restore Flightcomputer values and commandqueue

- Queued commands now in chronological order

- Flightcomputer will be closed after switching the vessel

General

- Fixed the thrust calculation for flamed out engines

- added a mouse over tooltip to the antenna target window to show distance, status to the target

- added configs for AIES, Lack Luster Labs, Near-Future Spacecraft, and NovaPunch

- Dishes will now attempt to connect to all targets within their field of view

- Cones now display for any target

- Some refactoring and small bug fixes

- RTSettings now reads settings from the GameDatabase to tweak settings for specific mods

- Possibility to hide ground stations with the new property `HideGroundStationsBehindBody`

- Hide RT windows/overlays when the GUI is hidden

- Saves the window positions from FlightComputer and AntennaWindow (only for the current ksp instance)

- Possibility to tint groundstations with the property `MarkColor`

Edited by Peppie23

Greetings RemoteTech-ers! I've released a set of contracts for RemoteTech that all of you may enjoy here: RemoteTech Contract Pack. I want to give a big thanks to the Remote Technologies Group - their code was a pleasure to work with, RemoteTech really is top notch (although I'm sure everyone here already knew that).

i want to release our new version v1.6 soon and i need you to help me testing this version. If you want to help please backup your save before downloading the new version.

Guess it's time that I test out my stuff in RemoteTech 1.6.... I'll let you know if I run into issues. ;)

Testing 1.6 on an existing savegame; most things seem to be working wonderfully. One thing i noticed was that selecting the option to see the dish cones in the tracking station, no cones were actually displayed and the debug log was spammed with this:

RemoteTech: Unexpected dish target: 35b89a0d-664c-43c6-bec8-d0840afc97b2

(Filename: /BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/LinuxStandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

(Filename: /BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/LinuxStandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

along with "[Exception]: InvalidOperationException: Nullable object must have a value." in the ingame debug menu. This happens right after entering the tracking station, and stops as soon as any vessel is selected from the menu on the left; at that point everything is displayed correctly. Selecting an asteroid from the tracked objects list starts the errors again, with this happening. Nothing gamebraking, just a something minor i noticed.

Also while I am at it, when making inputs in the flight computer, say for the orientation, the input is also registered for actiongroups and anything else you can trigger via hotkey. Typing something like "20m/s" in the flight computer window will activate actiongroups 2,0, open the map overlay and throttle up if one used left shift. This can be quite devastating to your missions if not known :D This one issue is nothing recent, in fact it occured since I can remember. No idea if relevant, but i am using Ubuntu 14.10 and the 64bit version of KSP (heavily modded). Thank you for bearing with me, I hope it was somewhat constructive.

Not if you don't ever use "Active Vessel" targeting. I didn't use it when I started with RT because I wasn't sure what it did. Heck, I didn't even use planet targeting for a while.

Testing 1.6 on an existing savegame; most things seem to be working wonderfully. One thing i noticed was that selecting the option to see the dish cones in the tracking station, no cones were actually displayed and the debug log was spammed with this:

Also while I am at it, when making inputs in the flight computer, say for the orientation, the input is also registered for actiongroups and anything else you can trigger via hotkey. Typing something like "20m/s" in the flight computer window will activate actiongroups 2,0, open the map overlay and throttle up if one used left shift. This can be quite devastating to your missions if not known :D This one issue is nothing recent, in fact it occured since I can remember. No idea if relevant, but i am using Ubuntu 14.10 and the 64bit version of KSP (heavily modded). Thank you for bearing with me, I hope it was somewhat constructive.

Hi Tellion, thanks for your testing and reporting. I'll look into this two exceptions soon, thanks.

Your last is a known issue on Linux https://github.com/RemoteTechnologiesGroup/RemoteTech/issues/197 and we do our best to fix that. :wink:

Are there any plan for fine tuning balance with 0.90 career? Such as shorter KSC antenna range till fully upgraded, or maybe longer KSC range once fully upgrade? Also, maybe have some of the flight computer functions using the new probe core SAS system, so that if the core doesn't have node targeting function, the flight computer command wouldn't work then?

Thanks for an amazing mod!

Re: 1.6.0 :

Are the orientation buttons not supposed to toggle now?

If they are supposed to still toggle, I have a bug.

If they are not supposed to toggle any longer, I would like to request a way to disable FC control from the main control panel without having to open the queue; perhaps a "Manual" button next to the "Custom" button?

Thanks again for all the work you guys put into this fabulous project! I am ever so thankful that you got the persistent FC queue to work! Huzzah! :)

Oh, did I forget to mention that? :D

https://github.com/RemoteTechnologiesGroup/RemoteTech/pull/259

Yea, we changed the state buttons to action buttons but as you can see on the pull request i'm not happy with my solution. Maybe i'll revert this part if i can't find a better way for the first.

Are there any plan for fine tuning balance with 0.90 career? Such as shorter KSC antenna range till fully upgraded, or maybe longer KSC range once fully upgrade? Also, maybe have some of the flight computer functions using the new probe core SAS system, so that if the core doesn't have node targeting function, the flight computer command wouldn't work then?

I'll open a new feature for this. I find your idea with the ksc antenna really good but yea, definitely we have to change the flight computer for the new SAS system.

I've been finding that during my play I have some sort of longing for more of a reason to make sure that my manned vessels try to maintain contact with kerbin as much as possible, like they would be doing in real life. I know that there is the desire to be able to transmit back science, if you are interested in transmitting any, but I want a reason to HAVE to MAINTAIN contact. To simulate the desire of the kerbonauts to hear from home, and send some hellos of their own. Also to you know, receive orders and updates etc.

I like the idea of having more reasons to mantain contact with manned vessels. Maybe it shouldn't be possible to create maneouver nodes and see conic patches if manned vessel is not connected with KSC? I admit though that I'm not a modder, so I don't know if that would even be posible to implement.

I'll open a new feature for this. I find your idea with the ksc antenna really good but yea, definitely we have to change the flight computer for the new SAS system.

Oh god, no. The new SAS system is terrible. I might as well remove the Stayputnik cfg from my game because it's so pathetic.

Maybe if the probes could be upgraded as you got more SAS abilities... but the current system is junk and if you take away my flight computer... well then I'm really never going to play with satellites ever. Stop nerfing probes... there's already very little point to them now as is... everything is infinitely more rewarding sending a manned mission, even if you leave them stranded. :huh:

Hell, what's the point of removing a probe's ability to hold prograde or a maneuver node?? I can turn it manually, I should be able to send a command that holds it. The new SAS is just terrible artificial difficulty that's completely obsolete the second you have a single mod that adds a probe core. Meanwhile, if you do take it out, it just means I have to slap that annoying MechJeb case on literally everything again. I was enjoying not having to do that. (Speaking of which, anyone know how to turn off the lights on it? That green emissive is pissing me off.)

RT should remain exclusively about connection rules. Don't gimp the computer to "match" the horrid new SAS.

tl;dr Flight Computer != Stability Augmentation System

Edited by Nitrous Oxide

Can always make it an option, just like how the signal delay can be turned off and such. Since I make my own copies of stock probes with gradual upgrades in SAS functions, I don't have that much of a problem with the limitation, and it feels like progression of kerbal technology.

Since I make my own copies of stock probes with gradual upgrades in SAS functions, I don't have that much of a problem with the limitation, and it feels like progression of kerbal technology.

Yeah, that's what I would like ultimately, that when you unlock a new level of SAS, the old probes get upgraded to match... Because the current system is literally one type of probe body that has a use. Squad kinda screwed the pooch for those of us who like variety and aesthetics (I have a feeling they've been doing that for a while now... who remembers decals?).

Edited by Nitrous Oxide

Oh, did I forget to mention that? :D

I think you might have, though I'm not very reliable for reading directions. :)

Yea, we changed the state buttons to action buttons but as you can see on the pull request i'm not happy with my solution. Maybe i'll revert this part if i can't find a better way for the first.

I'd probably be okay with the new system after I got used to it, but I would need that Clear | Cancel | Manual | FC Off button.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, that's what I would like ultimately, that when you unlock a new level of SAS, the old probes get upgraded to match...

So upgrading the FC rather than the probe? That sounds like a pretty good solution to me. Custom is available from the start, then five level-ups along the tree.

I think my issue with that would be that I feel that an on-mission probe core shouldn't gain the new functions after upgrading, and keeping them separate sounds like a difficult piece of coding to me...

Oh god, no. The new SAS system is terrible. I might as well remove the Stayputnik cfg from my game because it's so pathetic.

Maybe if the probes could be upgraded as you got more SAS abilities... but the current system is junk and if you take away my flight computer... well then I'm really never going to play with satellites ever. Stop nerfing probes... there's already very little point to them now as is... everything is infinitely more rewarding sending a manned mission, even if you leave them stranded. :huh:

Hell, what's the point of removing a probe's ability to hold prograde or a maneuver node?? I can turn it manually, I should be able to send a command that holds it. The new SAS is just terrible artificial difficulty that's completely obsolete the second you have a single mod that adds a probe core. Meanwhile, if you do take it out, it just means I have to slap that annoying MechJeb case on literally everything again. I was enjoying not having to do that. (Speaking of which, anyone know how to turn off the lights on it? That green emissive is pissing me off.)

RT should remain exclusively about connection rules. Don't gimp the computer to "match" the horrid new SAS.

I'm going to start witht he new SAS system. It isn't meant to replace MJ, the RT FC, or your ability to fly. It is meant to represent your pilots gaining experience and being able to take over some of your flight tasks for you. I for example use the new SAS and hold prograde to help my gravity turns a lot when my rockets aren't balanced right and nose down too much on their own. In the real world people don't rely on a single autopilot system alone for the entire journey, and you shouldn't either. Look up mini transat or the volvo ocean race. They are very long single person sailing races, and the regs require multiple autopilots as backups. As your pilot gains the ability to hold direction in different directions, you should play with them and try to find good use cases for them, instead of saying it sucks.

I can field one complaint about the new SAS though. For some reason it appears that all my vessels, SAS equiped or not, attempt to spawn themsevles with SAS turned on, which is fine if I have sas, because I canturn it on and off again to make sure it off and not messing with MJ, but if there is no SAS on-board it nerfs MJ, which is annoying. RT FC still appears to be able to push a craft with SAS "turned on".

Try adding FAR, DRE, TAC-LS, SNACKS! etc and all of a sudden probes become far more relevant. I had a lot of fun setting up a rudimentary comm sat net with stayputniks early in the tech tree. All I did was mod the cfg to place the stayputnik earlier in the tree (at the start actually because manned missions before probes? seriously squad?) and I've had a great time playing. I've launched far more probes then kerbals, and with final frontier and the new experience system, I actually care about kerbals instead of abandoning them.

Instead of complaining about a mod designed to add difficulty and challenge to the game that it is too difficult and challenging, why not embrace the challenge fully. Add a few more difficulty mods to your install and then get back to me on if you think probes are nerfed, and useless.

Also the flight computer in RT is fricken amazing. Sure, it doesn't have the same level of control as MJ, but it is far less buggy then MJ, just like in real life. I have had it plenty of times where MJ fail, will not co-operate, or does something completely un-expected. Enter RT with the flight computer and I've literally saved both manned and unmanned missions by transferring control authority to the KSC. That alone is a pretty good reason to keep manned vessels in contact with the KSC.

To walker, what you just described should be fairly easy to do. All that needs to be done is reverting the tracking station functionality to completely un-upgraded, or make the new features of the upgraded tracking center only active if there is an RT connection. This method also has the advantage of being easy to disable via RT settings (hopefully) for sandbox games.

Which reminds me....feature request? Ability to temporarily suspend RT? I like to prototype my probes, and don't want to have to set up comms first just to test out a lander probe. I play in a sandbox save for that, and don't want to have to go folder digging and moving each time I want to switch saves.

Edited by Errol

Try adding FAR, DRE, TAC-LS, SNACKS! etc and all of a sudden probes become far more relevant. I had a lot of fun setting up a rudimentary comm sat net with stayputniks early in the tech tree. All I did was mod the cfg to place the stayputnik earlier in the tree (at the start actually because manned missions before probes? seriously squad?) and I've had a great time playing. I've launched far more probes then kerbals, and with final frontier and the new experience system, I actually care about kerbals instead of abandoning them.

Instead of complaining about a mod designed to add difficulty and challenge to the game that it is too difficult and challenging, why not embrace the challenge fully. Add a few more difficulty mods to your install and then get back to me on if you think probes are nerfed, and useless.

Also the flight computer in RT is fricken amazing. Sure, it doesn't have the same level of control as MJ, but it is far less buggy then MJ, just like in real life. I have had it plenty of times where MJ fail, will not co-operate, or does something completely un-expected. Enter RT with the flight computer and I've literally saved both manned and unmanned missions by transferring control authority to the KSC. That alone is a pretty good reason to keep manned vessels in contact with the KSC.

Eh, I've been playing with all the above since 0.25 (Snacks, not TAC), so it's really the changes in 0.90 that irk me (not really complaining about RT)... it's still pointless to launch probes vs manned missions (more rewards, same cost... plus with RT you can't even rescue a probe if you mess up but you can always rescue manned missions). Don't get me wrong... my current save has 34 active satellites... except none of them have any point other than boosting range/some science experiments I decided to split over multiple satellites. RT is a mod designed to add realism, not difficulty. Probes aren't this hard to deal with in the real world where you have a competent interface and the ability to pre-program them (and more than one ground tracking station). But in RT if you lose connection before finalizing your orbit, god forbid your software engineers were competent enough to program a failsafe or something.

Yeah, maybe I am complaining about RT, because it's looking more and more like a bunch of needless artificial difficulty for people who want some "challenge" completely unfounded in reality. I guess if the FC changes, I'm switching to AntennaRange.

Challenges are cool and all, but really, when you've already accomplished a bunch in the game, just having to start over because of 0.90 and deal with all these downgrades is kinda lame. It's not even hard, just a waste of time. I don't need maneuver nodes or the Flight Computer, but they keep the game enjoyable and not a damn chore. Seriously, I've played nearly 500 hours. Nothing is hard anymore. Taking away the ability for my Stayputniks to use the maneuver nodes that I just paid money for, that's a good way to get me to uninstall this mod. I don't want to spend weeks grinding through the start, I want to colonize Duna and stuff... :\

Besides, the only changes the new SAS brings that is good is not needing a mod for auto-pilot, and having manned pilots have an actual skill. However, it's a poor implementation for probes (seriously, it can hold prograde and retrograde, but can't figure out how to hold 90 degree offsets of those two? What kind of incompetent programmer...)... if the FC gets a rework, please, for my sanity, allow the FC to be upgraded based on what tier of probe you have unlocked. For my Stayputniks to be forever relegated to "useless space junk" because there's no SAS EVER is a tremendous oversight on Squad's part.

Edited by Nitrous Oxide