Build Facilities

Provide the option to build different kinds of facilities that would provide different benefits, for example:

that would increase the impact tolerance of all parts by 1 m/sec (could also let you practice landings and roving on simulated terrain and gravity of various planets and moons).

that would increase science from crew reports by 10% (could also let you practice EVAs with your ships).

A huge wind tunnel like the one at NASA Ames that would increase the lift of all parts by 10% and/or increase the drag of all parachutes by 10%.

A big rocket test stand like the one at NASA Stennis that would increase thrust and/or ISP of all chemical rockets by 5%.

A deep space network consisting of massive radio dishes located at KSC and 2 other places on Kerbin that would increase science transmission yields by 10%.

A giant vacuum chamber like the one at NASA Glenn that would increase science instrument yield by 5%.

A rocket sled track, because they are awesome!

You could also make it so that certain facilities are required to make certain parts, like you need the vacuum chamber to build the PresMat Barometer or the rocket test stand to build the Toroidal Aerospike Rocket.

wKrgKADl.jpg

ScEJv83l.jpg

OsQJ9z0l.jpg

By6cSEll.jpg

Q5sG1tvl.jpg

QdS9RBw.jpg

dm05rOH.jpg

HuLj4D6.jpg

Edited by Lou

I like this. I would also like to see options to possibly build additional runways across Kerbin, and to build different hangers around the planet like what you see at the island runway. In fact, I with the KSC runway had open hangers like that.

... I would also like to see options to possibly build additional runways across Kerbin...

That would be cool! The space shuttle had a few runway options it could land at. It would also be nice to have the option to build more runways at KSC, like a north-to-south runway in addition to the existing west-to-east runway.

It will be amazing if this sort of thing gets added to the game. Maybe the deep space network could reduce the energy cost of transmissions instead of giving a science boost?

ROCKET SLED!!! Hook up a small aircraft to it, than Kaboom!!! Instantly going 1000m/s. Hook a small rocket to it, put on an optional big ramp thingy (to increase the upwards angle at launch), and BOOM! The rocket is nearly in orbit. :P Great fun could be found here, and I bet Jeb would love it :P

Excellent ideas. I especially love one about implementing radiotelescope network around the globe - it doesn't require them to implement elaborate mechanics of visibility, while at the same time adding some very nice point to the game. As for percentage - well, force people to build 2 satellites on top of an existing one and divide the amount of points one gets from transmission by 3. So by default - you get only 1/3 of current amount of points from transmissions, with fully-build network: you get what you'd have now.

I would like to see a longer runway, perhaps you would be able to purchase length upgrades at a later point in the game with the "longest" runway being available in sandbox?

At least a second launch pad would also be a useful feature if we are embracing multiplayer, a second pad would be useful as well as a landing pad target for reusable rockets.

I think those percentages are too high and will make the game even more "too easy"

That's a fair point. The exact benefits would have to be determined with regard to overall game balance (the game isn't too "easy" with the facilities or too "hard" without them, but there's still an encentive to build the facilities). I was just trying to convey the broad strokes of the idea, and assumed Squad could work those details as they see fit.

Training facility-increase Kerbal intelligence and courage by 5%. One use per kerbal, costs money.

Kerbals gain 5% to both for completing a mission with multipliers for mun landing, etc.

Stupid and cowardly kerbals gain less science from crew and Eva reports, as well as surface samples and any transmitted science.

The most useful thing about multiple launch pads would be non equatorial launches. Getting various angles is easier if you start from a different latitude, so both launchpads and airstrips at other locations on kerbin would be great.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.