I'm quitting the forums

SpaceXray

So you got some posts deleted or perhaps one of those "Infractions"? I've got 3 infractions (all expired by now), I've been banned once, at least two of my posts have been deleted and at least one has been censored by a moderator. Best I can suggest is to ignore all that crap. In 100% of these cases it was your own stupidity that caused the problem. But KSP forums is still one of the best communities out there so if you were really so hurt by a moderator telling you something you did was not right (note: I know that feel, the first infraction was tough), that's your own problem and if you choose to overcome that problem by leaving then that's your own loss. No one here is going to miss you.

That being said, there's also a rule about 'backseat moderating', which I've seen broken over and over again, including on this very thread. My opinion: people should let the moderators do their job, and not pounce on newcomers at every opportunity.

Yes, there is a rule about "backseat moderating" but the definition is rather vague: "(posting messages acting as staff)". If this rule is to be enforced then it really needs to be defined more explicitly. There are very few people that "pounce on newcomers" at all and I agree that this should not be tolerated but, it also makes a lot of sense in threads like this one for the moderators to allow a certain amount of criticism of what the person has said to demonstrate that the general feeling amongst the users sides with the moderators. If they just came in and locked or deleted the thread (as a strict interpretation of various of the rules would allow) then this would have done nothing to change the opinion of the OP and would quite possibly inflame the situation even more.

If people would be more respectful towards others, give newcomers a little room, and just leave the moderating to the moderators, I think we'd all be a little better off.

Most of that sentence wasn't really necessary so I fixed it for you. It also applies to the newcomers too...

This is one of the better forums in which I've participated, even more so if you limit it to gaming forums only. Some of the rules may seem a bit capricious at first, but less so if you think about the age demographic here (a large fraction are quite young). Certainly there are some posters that are more grumpy and argumentative than others, but the mods do a good job of keeping things relatively civil, IMO.

If the OP is upset about being given an infraction I would suggest not worrying about it too much. They're just a relatively gentle reminder of the rules and your responsibility to follow them. They expire quickly and aren't held against you in any way unless you start some sort of pattern of rule-breaking.

The mods do delete some posts, but in my experience they don't delete civil criticism of Squad or KSP. If you make it inflammatory or insulting, well, you get what you get. Basically if you are civil and avoid the handful of forbidden topics you can pretty much say what you like.

Just a little word of advice to everyone who's praising this community's quality and all: There are a lot of really awful posts that you just don't get to see unless you religiously check every thread almost instantly when it gets a new post. The moderation team here does a lot of clean up to ensure this atmosphere you all like so much.

Now I'm not going to comment on the censorship argument, or whether this atmosphere might be a little "too friendly", as some seem to see it, but you should all keep in mind that there's a lot of crap around here that doesn't even make it to your eyes.

As the (second) newest member of the moderation team, I still have vivid memories of the time before I "went green". I do believe the KSP forums to be a friendly environment, and that isn't the obvious bias talking. The censorship is in place, as the forums are designed to provide a stimulating, bustling community for all ages. Many demographics exist here, young, old, etc, etc. We all come from around the world, we all have different customs and different traditions. The rules are in place to fit the myriad of traditions.

Hey guys,

Just letting you know, I am quitting the forums, either for a few months or forever(most probably).

I am used to a completely open community which can freely express its opinions and won't get yelled at or prosecuted like in former USSR. The so-called "friendliness mask" of the forum is just a golden wrapper.

People here can't tell the truth or discuss some topics even in a civil matter, just because there might be some kids here. Keeping the forum like that is wrong, there is too much censorship and unrequited rules.

Sure, I might even get punished for this post, but you must know one thing: people here aren't kids, and they all already had their own opinions and views. Sharing them is not a crime, and replying negatively about some official KSP services shouldn't be censored, you are supposed to take peoples feedback and use that to make the services better.

goodbye!

I'm 13. Mature, but still.

Just a little word of advice to everyone who's praising this community's quality and all: There are a lot of really awful posts that you just don't get to see unless you religiously check every thread almost instantly when it gets a new post. The moderation team here does a lot of clean up to ensure this atmosphere you all like so much.

I've seen one of those 'awful' posts every once in a while. Almost always, it's gone within minutes.

Honestly, I'd give a +1 to the mod teams here, working like F1 pitstop crews despite being volunteers and all.

I've seen one of those 'awful' posts every once in a while. Almost always, it's gone within minutes.

Honestly, I'd give a +1 to the mod teams here, working like F1 pitstop crews despite being volunteers and all.

I've witnessed a fair bit of this, too. I spend a fair bit of time on the forums (understatement) and often see some posts that quickly get deleted by the mods, some people are incredibly hostile and vitriolic. Kudos to the mods for keeping on top of it.

I always consider it strange when someone posts a rage quit thread (not just here, but on any forum). If you don't like the community, just go. A parting shot does no one any good.

It's interesting that the OP of this thread is not the poster's last post on here. Change of heart?

I'm the exact opposite. I'm in my 40s but act like a teen most of the time.

Then there is no hope for me. I'll never be true adult. I'm totally ok with this.

*waves around sonic screwdriver*

*Brings dalek out from bag, drives it around on the table.*

*Hugs teddybear I've had since birth.*

No reason why I can't do all these things and become a fully responsible adult...

Though some would say I seemed mature when I was younger... maybe I'm just stationary.

After reading all the 5 pages that stacked up, I have some things to say(I did quit, but the notifications kept bugging me):

1. I am happy the mods didn't just lock the thread and let a person still be angry and stop others from teasing him. Like so, they let e community try to find a compromise between the OP's opinion and at of others

2. There are 2 major reasons the forums here appear all shiny and cute and puffy:

-Rules which don't allow discussion of adult topics, age freedom and constant post moderation.

like so, almost no one gets to see bad posts like on the Minecraft forums(or LoL and WOW)

-KSP is a higher level game which requires basic logic, patience and some basic rocket science and physics knowledge.

thus the higher standard of people

3. I am a bit unappy with how people reacted here. Thankfully some offered to help real with the matter, while others instantly painted me with oil and tossed me out of the door. Some remain neutral. The posts don't break rules, but you can easily feel the negative and sarcastic tone of some people.

Finally, I decided to stay here. I can at least have a proper conversation here with some people. However, I am informing some of you that yo shouldn't just neglect someone instantly if they are different or have a different opinion. If you call is community friendly then don't post posts like those in this thread(the "I'll old the door for you" ones) and don't be a d***.

try to be helpful and supportive.

You'll find trolls at every level of the Internet, playing on different rules and regulations. If you don't want to deal with these guys, just ignore them; chances are, they're just prodding people around, looking for someone to annoy. If you didn't show any interest, there's a good chance they'll leave you alone.

Finally, I decided to stay here

Does that mean I don't get your stuff? Cause I made plans...

I should definitely get your stuff -/-

Edited by xcorps

3. I am a bit unappy with how people reacted here. Thankfully some offered to help real with the matter, while others instantly painted me with oil and tossed me out of the door. Some remain neutral. The posts don't break rules, but you can easily feel the negative and sarcastic tone of some people.

I wrote 3 or 4 replies to your original post, and opted each time to not post them. They were more vitriolic than I wanted them to be. Each time I tried to write one with less bite and each time I failed. This time I probably will as well but I'm going to try my darndest, and post anyway no matter what I end up with.

If you don't want people in a community to treat you poorly, don't dump on that community. Especially don't do it IN the community you are dumping on. You did that, and it's no surprise the reaction you got. You're unhappy with the replies. That's fair. We were unhappy with your original post and to misquote the (Tim Burton) Joker: You started it.

Okay I keep deleting the next paragraph so rather than continue to not add content to my post, I'm just going to end it now before I decide again to not post anything at all.