Your first rockets

Yeah, you installed FAR for your first launch ever and even knew there is a symetry? Riiiight....

KSP gives you a way to build rockets, and some people may want to find out how the rocket-building part of the game works as early as possible.

I worked out the symmetry controls before launching my second rocket (first was almost certainly pod -> tank -> engine) because at the time I had decided that putting one fuel tank on top of another wouldn't make them act as one; took about a week to realise that mistake :P I needed some way to equally space the massive number of tanks around the rocket.

Of course, pressing X and C came muuuuuch later.

Sadly all my original rockets were lost forever when I changed to a new computer about a year ago :(

I worked out symmetry straight away, nothing odd about that.

What I didn't work out was that I was killing Kerbals! I lost about 20 Kerbals before I realised what was happening.

Command Pod Mk 1, FL-T400, LV-T45. As basic as it gets.

That sounds about right... plus a parachute. :)

There WASN'T Symmetry when I first started creating rockets!

My first serious rocket (beyond the usual slap-together mess when you're figuring out how it works) was a monstrosity. It had 6 Trash-Bins-Fulla-Boom (which were not actually used in the design- you couldn't mount anything except SRBs laterally at that point! What we used to call "Structural boosters" were commonplace), and it had liquid-fuel boosters attached to each of them (and in those pre-strut days . . when flying it looked a bit like a squid).

It would be fair to say that it wasn't the most stable creation, but it did get me to orbit. And back then, that was a big thing (it relied on tables that'd been circulated around the 'net!). :)

I stumbled upon this: my first rocket.

The thing is though, I didn't know about throttle, so the liquid engine never worked because I didn't know how to control it. I recently re-flew it (obviously now knowing how to throttle) and it got a pretty nice sub-orbital trajectory. The nostalgia is strong with this one. :)

W2mtiUx.png

Hrm. I'll have to delve deep into my abandoned Photobukket account. Behold!

This was before I bought the full game. Before I realized fuel lines had a direction. Before I knew how to do realistic bracing. Before I knew the camera in the VAB could zoom out. This is Kerbish archeology.

arkingthaadpt1_zps5a7176a0.jpg

arkingthaadpt2_zpse1cff09a.jpg

arkingthaadpt3_zps908c754c.jpg

arkingthaadpt4_zpse540a55a.jpg

arkingthaadpt5_zpsf639d847.jpg

Edited by Whackjob

This brings back some memories albeit not THAT long ago since I came along toward the end of .22. If you're wondering about the mod toolbar, it's because I just loaded up the old profile and took new screenshots. My very first designs have been lost to time but I kept these relics from early in my first career for some reason.

It was supposed to be the first to make stable orbit, but... Well, look at it. lol

KSP2014-06-2900-03-19-21.jpg~original

I can't remember if I actually landed on the Mun before getting stranded, and it's not really relevant to this ship but just trying to get a time frame in my own mind. I believe at the time this was my largest ship, and definitely one of my least efficient ones. But it got the job done, this was before I even knew what Delta V was and I gave little thought to TWR. I have no idea why there are separatrons on this, maybe I was hoping for a little nudge if I ran out of fuel?

KSP2014-06-2900-03-45-64.jpg~original

My first rocket, in the demo when it was at 0.14. Well, the first rocket to get off the ground in one piece anyway. The second iteration was beefed up so it moved on takeoff and had wings so it flew straight.

3uCzkXo.png

Later in the horrible flight that Jeb didn't survive.

I60ISwA.png

My first rocket, in the demo when it was at 0.14. Well, the first rocket to get off the ground in one piece anyway. The second iteration was beefed up so it moved on takeoff and had wings so it flew straight.

http://i.imgur.com/3uCzkXo.png

Later in the horrible flight that Jeb didn't survive.

http://i.imgur.com/I60ISwA.png

That's actually quite a magnificent sight.

When I first tried to get to orbit i was like adding more bosters, but its quite funy how wobbly stuff gets if u dont know about struts^^

but instead of figuring that out i tried to workaround. I thought i could stabilize it by pulling it aswell as pushing it eg adding bosters to the top aswell. It actually worked... like 1out of 20 times. It looked so damn stupid

My first KSP creations were in the demo, early january this year. The (suspected) first one was actually this (granted, I already read a bit about building on the wiki before actually starting, as I heard it was not well documented ingame. Also, maybe the real first one didn't have the struts, who knows):

niCdvyC.png

Don't remember how it performed, I actually took that screenshot by accident while mucking around trying to find the controls. (as you can see from the poor angle and stuff)

That design was closely followed by this:

sHUMLKI.jpg

Which was a bit more kerbalesk I guess :rolleyes:

Good times

Edited by Remkeau

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.