[1.2] USI Survivability Pack (Formerly DERP) [v0.6.0]

RoverDude

So I'm using RealChutes without a hitch in my current install and was wondering if the .cfg was lying around somewhere... I see why you depreciated support, but it also feels weird when even Tantares and Novapunch are using them and the only parts in my game without RCs are USI... :wink:

Perhaps an approach like BoxSat where they package their MM files in a separate folder and users can pick and choose which ones they need for their game would be something to consider? Obviously with a warning that RC might not work and to use at your own risk... :P

I have the latest version of this mod, and I have all the parts from it, except the air bags and floatation devices, is there a dependency for those that I've missed somewhere? sorry if I've missed the answer in here somewhere.

I have the latest version of this mod, and I have all the parts from it, except the air bags and floatation devices, is there a dependency for those that I've missed somewhere? sorry if I've missed the answer in here somewhere.

If the parts are not showing up, it is very likely an install issue. Clear it out, reinstall it, make sure you put stuff in the right folders (i.e. don't move things around or omit from the install).

If the parts are not showing up, it is very likely an install issue. Clear it out, reinstall it, make sure you put stuff in the right folders (i.e. don't move things around or omit from the install).

Yeah, it was an install issue. Way to go me. I'm an idiot.

So I'm using RealChutes without a hitch in my current install and was wondering if the .cfg was lying around somewhere... I see why you depreciated support, but it also feels weird when even Tantares and Novapunch are using them and the only parts in my game without RCs are USI... :wink:

Perhaps an approach like BoxSat where they package their MM files in a separate folder and users can pick and choose which ones they need for their game would be something to consider? Obviously with a warning that RC might not work and to use at your own risk... :P

Prob is that it flat out does not work unless I feel like changing a major part of my mod, which, at this time, I will not. And it floods me with support requests for stuff that no longer works.

Prob is that it flat out does not work unless I feel like changing a major part of my mod, which, at this time, I will not. And it floods me with support requests for stuff that no longer works.

But the best part that Roverdude didn't mention is that his mods are all very open. So the nice thing is if that isn't an answer people like, they can fork it. And no I'm not trying to get around a profanity filter. :-)

Hey i love the floating bags, but have a "little" problem with the airbags ... if i disconnect them, they develop a huge force making them fly away like a radial decoupler. Now i wouldnt mind IF they could stop ripping my vessel apart in 80% of the cases ..... anybody got any idea on what went wrong with my install? Plz help i love this mod and i would like to use it in future:(

Yeah, I didn't realize it at first, but after I threw a basic config on there I saw why right away. :D

Either way, Chris is working on RealChute again, maybe you might be able to work something out now? :wink:

For some reason, in the PodCapsule.cfg file, under the LifeBoat Module, foodAmount is set to .0001 (which I changed in my install). Is this by design, ie, is the DERP not supposed to have food in it?

For some reason, in the PodCapsule.cfg file, under the LifeBoat Module, foodAmount is set to .0001 (which I changed in my install). Is this by design, ie, is the DERP not supposed to have food in it?

Yes. Explanation is peppered all through this thread. Kerbals can last 30 days without food with TACLS.

Yes. Explanation is peppered all through this thread. Kerbals can last 30 days without food with TACLS.

Thank you. I tried skimming the thread but totally missed that. Next time I'll RTFT more thoroughly.

Small question. I'm not enormously experienced with KSP, so this is probably a normal issue.

When I pack a ship with floats, and land at reasonable speed (parachute assisted, at ~10m/s) in the ocean with floats deployed, it still tears my ship apart. I'm not really sure why splashing down rips things up even at speeds that would be perfectly safe to touch down on land. I'd hoped floats would work like airbags do but for water, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

So, what do floats actually do for us? Or am I just using them wrong?

Also: decoupling airbags tends to be an extremely explosive event for me, too, often destroying or severely damaging the ship in the process. Bug, or incompetent player?

When I pack a ship with floats, and land at reasonable speed (parachute assisted, at ~10m/s) in the ocean with floats deployed, it still tears my ship apart.

10 m/s is pretty fast actually - it's 22 miles/hour! Most parts break at 6 m/s.

I'm not sure floats are intended to work as you're using them (as a landing cushion). I thought they were just intended to keep your ship upright and buoyant.

When you land on ground, the first parts to hit (usually landing legs) absorb most of the impact. When you land in the ocean, that doesn't happen - they absorb some impact, but the rest of the ship will also hit the ocean, often at similar speed to the first parts.

It may be that the floaties are hitting the water at 10 m/s, then the rest of your ship is hitting at 8 m/s, and breaking.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried airbags in VAB, and they worked as requested. I put them in a action group and made a test flight. They didn't work. I tried to make them work manually clicking, but nothing...

If I understand Rover Dude knows about the problem but don't care about to solve the issue?

I tried airbags in VAB, and they worked as requested. I put them in a action group and made a test flight. They didn't work. I tried to make them work manually clicking, but nothing...

If I understand Rover Dude knows about the problem but don't care about to solve the issue?

Did you read tarheel's reply?