[0.24] The Horten Brother's v1.0 - classic, advanced and ssto flying wing

hello Kerbonaut's, today i present you the first final version of my flying Wings, inspired by the infamous work of the Horten Brother's during WW2 in germany.

i'm in love with the original Horten H IX ( Ho 229) since i first saw artworks of this beauty. it was the first jetpowered flying wing and nearly reached the end of the deployment during the late days of the war, but never saw service. there were only a few prototypes and one is somwehre hidden inside a Us military storage...

the plane was infamous, people say that it would be much better then the Me 262, the german famous jetfighter. There were plans for teh so called "amercia bomber", a bigger flying wing to bomb american citys without the need to have an airbase near the USA.

thank you a lot Reimar Horten and Walter Horten for your ideas and thoughs about flying wings. :)

to my planes now:

they are not 100% accurate. the partcount would be insanly high if i want to recreate the original shape of the H IX.

DOWNLOAD:

-> The Horten Brother's v1.0 <-

3 Versions are in this pack included:

(actiongroup info at the plane description in the SPH)

classic:

-with normal jetengines and limited range

advanced:

-extended fuselage, more fuel

-turbojets

-high range, can circumnavigate Kerbin one time at 25Km altitude.

SSTO:

-based on the advanced extended fuselage

-turbojets with rocketafterburner

-RCS and belly dockingport equiped

-rockets must be deactivated if not needed (Actiongroup 2)

flying tips for the SSTO:

get to 30Km altitude and increse your speed with the turbojets to nearly 2200m/s, then use the actiongroups to deactivate the jets and fire the rockets, point at an angle of 35 to 45 degree until you reach a 130 to 150 Km Apoapsis ... turn of rockets and glide to Apoapsis and finish the orbit wit ha short burn.

pictures of the three planes:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

plz keep in mind that these are my first planes ever build on my own in KSP. the SSTO was a real challange for me and i'm very happy about the result. i already have ideas for a bigger version with Nukenenignes for a better space performance :)

Edited by Darth Lazarus

Dang, if nothing else I am gonna download to study how you built the Ho-229 because I have been wanting to do that but haven't had the time or ingenuity to do so.

team.leit

thanks a lot for teh Rep+ and have fun studying my planes :) it was difficult to get teh shape (mostly) right and to balance it. there are hidden controllsurfaces inside teh fuselage and such and the oxidizer is mostly weight fo baöance (except the SSTO one).

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.